When two players are disqualified in a tournament, pair their opponents together instead

When two players are disqualified in a tournament, pair their opponents together instead

2 Likes

Good point to remember

1 Like

What do you mean exactly?

When a player is disqualified, they are already removed from further participation in later rounds of the tournament.

However, when a disqualification happens, that player may already have other ongoing tournament games. Since those games are already ongoing, I don’t think it would make sense to modify who is participating in those.

Could you clarify with some specific examples of how your proposed change would work?

2 Likes

He wrote “their opponents”,not the disqualified players

1 Like

I still don’t quite understand? Could you explain with an example? Is this for a particular type of tournament format?

1 Like

Is this for elimination tournaments?

Suppose you have Alice vs Bob and Charlie vs Dave and then a bunch of other games, all in the first round of an elimination tournament. If Alice and Charlie time out of their games, they are disqualified, and Bob and Dave move onto the next round. Is the suggestion to shuffle the next round pairings such that Bob and Dave would be paired together in round two? Why? Is it because they both got a presumably easy advance?

Or is it for Swiss style tournaments? Note that Swiss style tournaments currently have a configurable pairing methodology (such as “by strength”, “slaughter”, etc.), so would this proposed change be a sort of exception to those rules?

I don’t understand how this would work for the simultaneous round-robin formats.

1 Like

Take the first round of a tournament. 2 players don’t show up (so get disqualified )
Let their opponents play together instead of waiting

3 Likes

Ok, I see the general intention now, but I think there would need to be some careful logic about when, how, and where this should be applied.

I guess this really only makes sense in the case of Swiss-style tournaments, right? And it should only apply to disqualifications due to timing out by never showing up for the game. Other cases of disqualification (such as timing out much later in the game) should just be treated as usual. We’d also have to be careful in implementation for not awarding an extra point from that first game.

I was confused about the wording that just said disqualification, which could happen due to other reasons, such as timing out at a later stage in a game, or even by tournament director discretion.

4 Likes

I understand that it could be a nice feature but not always coherent with the tournament organization (like pairing a 7k with a 2d for example).

3 Likes

Essentially, this is especially useful in knockout, double knockout and swiss tournaments,

however it isn’t so problematic in McMahon tournaments as you might think, it would actually be quite rare for two players of such unequal rank to be paired with each other

That would only be a problem in McMahon tournaments, and an easy solution would be in the case of repairings, the result doesn’t contribute to their McMahon score, but instead is added to the next tiebreaker

1 Like