Where does the OGS server side code live?

Couldn’t find it anywhere under online-go.com · GitHub. Looking at https://online-go.com/api/ it should be written in Python. Is that correct?

Cheers!

4 Likes

Most of the server-side code is closed source. Only some parts, like the rating system are open source.

4 Likes

I’ve heard it, or at least a significant part thereof, is written in django, so yes.

2 Likes

Another example is goban, which houses most of the shared code between frontend and backend. Recently, some contributors have improved the SGF output which is partially open source and hopefully becoming moreso :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I see. Do you know why that is so? Any particular reason to open source one and not the other? Or just historically/organically “grown” like that?

There is some mention if it here that in 2017 the UI became open source:

3 Likes

Basically the backend is a hot mess and a lot of work to tidy up so he just hasn’t gotten there yet. He does hope to one day have it all open source but doesn’t want to release the back end in its current state.

2 Likes

Makes sense. Thanks, guys!

In addition to the “support load” of open-sourcing a large old codebase [*], there are considerations of “preventing forks/dilutions”.

Anoek dedicated himself to running OGS, which means it’s a primary source of income for him, which means it needs to be protected as that.

The implications of open-sourcing, then facing forks, are various and complicated to assess. The reason to do it would have to be compelling - not just “incremental and theoretical” - in the face of the uncertainty and risks involved.

*: I don’t think it’s fair to call it a “hot mess”. I doubt that it’s much worse than any other project of the same vintage.

5 Likes

Internet phrasing is hard. Please read this affectionately rather than critically.

3 Likes

I was just assessing dispassionately :smiley:

3 Likes

Here’s a snippet from the announcement of the Open Sourcing of OGS UI. I realize “can of worms” isn’t terribly informative, but I figured a quote from the maintainer himself would be worth linking.

4 Likes