Which languages do you speak?

You’re welome

English* (duh) - :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Chinese* - :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Japanese (partially related to Chinese?) :star:
*Native language

5 Likes

English :heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::black_heart::white_heart::brown_heart:
Chinese :heart::orange_heart:
Cantonese​:heart::orange_heart::yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart::purple_heart::black_heart::white_heart::brown_heart:
Spanish❤️
Croatian❤️
Japanese :heart::orange_heart:
French❤️
German❤️
One heart means I know how to say hi and full hearts is I am good at it
I did not use :star: for this because I did not want to

8 Likes

My native language is obviously English and that is the language I continue to work on perfecting and improving with the most effort. However, I can translate decently comprehensive Latin passages with a Latin dictionary and some verb conjugation charts. But it takes me a VERY long time and I would never try speaking Latin aloud. I am self-taught in that language and so my pronunciation would probably be horribly off.

I am looking forward to starting Spanish this year though!

7 Likes

I never thought of that. I was taught my native language from my environment as I grew up and then formally in school. I never thought of it as a language to work on.

4 Likes

Same here.
I thought about that before, wondering about typical US American things like “spelling bees”, “word of the day”, increasing your (native language) vocabulary for exams… Things that simply don’t exist in Germany, and probably also not in most other countries. I assume it has something to do with the self-centeredness (is that even a good word in this context?) of US American culture. What happens in other countries is just not that important, and it’s also not important to learn other languages.

While, when you live in Europe (and the same must be true for most of Africa), where all around you many different cultures and languages exist, there’s more of a focus on learning other languages. So, increasing my vocabulary has of course always meant to improve my English, French, Polish,… My German vocabulary is big enough just because I grew up in Germany.

9 Likes

I am a complete beginner in Japanese, and my Chinese knowledge exists of knowing that 不 is said bu and used before a verb to negate it, but I’ll give this a go.

Maybe the first line is talking about simplified Chinese characters and many small [differences from Japanese?]?

Next line, maybe, working in the public sector is not known for being peaceful… but rather trying to work with the hopeful aim of sleeping? Wait, 围棋 might mean 囲碁, in which case maybe the sentence ends, but you get to relax with go?

Next line: Playing go alone limits your enjoyment, but with two people, it’s war?

Last line: Go originated in China, and now has come to you via 4000 long years to provide conflict?

There were a lot of hanzi that I knew were kanji, but was very unsure of what they meant even in Japanese. 的 means aim or goal in Japanese if I recall correctly, but I think it must have a more generic, probably grammatical meaning in Mandarin.

8 Likes

A Spanish speaking friend of mine once pointed out to me that spelling bees only work well in English because the spelling and pronunciation rules are wildly inconsistent. He said that spelling bees would not make any sense in a language like Spanish since the pronunciation rules are so consistent. Instead of spelling out words verbally letter by letter, a Spanish speaker typically would just say a word slower and clearer if someone else was not sure how it was spelled.

8 Likes

I’m not so sure about that, although as an outsider I can see a difference between Germanic and Romance languages (about spelling complexity I mean).
French does have weird spelling as well, though.
I’m not sure, did your friend mean speaking slower would work between Spanish people (while between Americans it wouldn’t) or from a Spanish speaker to a Spanish learner?

2 Likes

My friend meant that two Spanish speakers could use slower speaking to clarify spelling. Basically, he meant that fluent Spanish speakers would automatically know how to spell something if they heard it properly. He gave the example of maybe needing to clarify the spelling of a Spanish name, but even then, he said Spanish speakers would typically not spell it out letter by letter, but instead just say the name again slower so that the listener could clearly hear all of syllables.

3 Likes

I am fluent in English.
I am okay at spanish.
I am not that good at French.

6 Likes

Hm, I would think it depends on the person. I’m good at picking patterns in spelling, so I never had a particular problem with English (and subsequently with other languages I’ve learned), even with words I didn’t know. The listening part in tests was never that hard.
In Greek, phonetically what you hear is what you write (mostly, I don’t think there’s a language that that’s 100% true) so it seems easy, but we have 5 “i” spellings and 2 “o” spellings, so things can get complicated.
And I’d believe bad spellers exist everywhere :-).
However, your Spanish friend got me thinking, I’ll ask others about this, my own experience might not be accurate.

7 Likes

Just to be clear, my friend was only just talking about Spanish words being spoken among fluent Spanish speakers. It’s entirely language specific. Also, neither of us meant to say that spelling competitions work only in English, just that there are some languages where they don’t really work.

8 Likes

20 posts were split to a new topic: WWII history discussion

I speak English as my mother tongue and I did Afrikaans for 12 years in school, but I’m still not that good. I’d say my level is around basic to intermediate conversation. And I’m decent at essays lol.

8 Likes

I’m still essentially monolingual. Such is life.

When I was a child I couldn’t see the point of French: “You can go on holiday and order a croissant!” seemed rather flimsy given the predominance of English as a first / second language in the developed world, which I was already quite aware of at the time. I also resented both French and German for their relative morphological complexity, having multiple cases and genders – and such it was with a mixture of arrogance and contempt that I began, wasted, and failed all my school language lessons.

I’ve continued to plug on a bit with Latin. I made an Anki deck with a disproportionate amount of obscure plants and animals with very limited use, as is my wont and weakness, and I practiced with that for a time before giving up. I bought a few more textbooks, and more recently the first seventeen books of Pliny’s Natural History. To be honest, I think I will probably die monolingual, having never had the discipline and consistency to change that fact. I’m grown to accept that.

7 Likes

Fluent in English
Okay in Chinese
Not that good at Japanese
Starting French

7 Likes
5 Likes

Fluent in french english german spanish
Manage something in chinese

8 Likes

My mother tongue is Indonesian.
Can speak Javanese