Which languages do you speak?

Just out of curiosity, how multilingual are Go players? :slight_smile:

You can mention languages you are a native speaker of, you are fluent, actively learning or studied during one summer in your teens or even picking words and phrases due to exposure (for example you have a Greek son-in-law). All accepted.

Iā€™ll go first, from best to worst, at varying levels: Greek, English, French, German, Korean. I also tried to learn Portuguese (BR) and Hawaiian.

Edit: since we ventured into ancient times, I can understand a bit of Latin (never officially taught though) and lots of ancient Greek, which is actually not the norm in Greece. Depending on age, some were taught at school, but itā€™s not a general population thing.
Also, Iā€™m slowly learning for fun Arvanitika, a dialect spoken in my hometown. Kind of a mix of Greek, Albanian and Turkish, I think, and I think it will die out, unfortunately.

Note: It doesnā€™t matter if you are fluent or learning to count 1-10 at this point, this is a general chat topic, no tests. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Native English and Chinese (Mandarin) speaker, however, since I grew up in the USA, my Chinese language skills are very poor. Also studied Spanish (in school) and Japanese (for work), but not conversational in either.

9 Likes

Native Dutch (the Netherlands), fluent in English, I can understand most of conversation in German (but never tried speaking) and Iā€™m conversational in Japanese.

French, Latin and Greek I officially learned, but I wouldnā€™t say I speak any of those.

7 Likes

Ancient Greek to go with the Latin or modern Greek?

I cannot avoid marking my level just to avoid to be accused to be a false person:
:star::star::star::star::star: Italian
:star::star::star: English
:star::star: French
:star::star: Spanish
:star: Japanese
:star::star::star::star: Romanesco (an Italian dialect :grin:)
:star::star::star: Umbro-Marchigiano (another italian dialect)

9 Likes

Ancient Greek, that isā€¦ Yes

5 Likes

Ha, Iā€™ll count them as two for me, I was officially taught both. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Iā€™m a native English speaker. Iā€™m fluent in Chinese, but nowhere near the level of a native speaker. (If that seems confusing, I hold an HSK 5 certificate. I could probably pass level 6, but Iā€™m lazy :man_shrugging:t2: )

Seeing some of your lists makes me feel really uncultured :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I grew up in the former USSR, so my first language was Russian.

At the age of 8 yrs old, my family moved to the United States, and I learned English. Given that I only went to 1st grade in USSR, and most of my education happened in the US, my primary language ended up being English.

I also speak enough Spanish to get order food and make simple conversations in Spanish-speaking countries, but not enough to read an age-appropriate book.

5 Likes

It is interesting that you mark Spanish as two stars while native in Italian. Often when I meet a group of people containing both Italian and Spanish people, they tend to talk quite naturally with one another in their own language.

2 Likes

Yes, because we can understand each other quite easily. But it is not the same to speak Spanish avoiding an incredible number of ā€œfalse friendsā€ (better to say non existing words) just because we Italian think that an unknown world in Spanish can be obtained adding an ā€˜sā€™ to the end of the equivalent word in Italian. This is not the case, obviously. Also grammar is different.

Anyway, when I went in Spain for an holiday, after a week spent together with native speakers, I tended to speak a better Spanish naturally (like an Italian dialect that a lot Italians learn naturally since each region has its own local dialect or so).

7 Likes

I feel out of place in this cosmopolitan company. Iā€™m afraid I am still trying to master English. I sleep with Fowlerā€™s Modern English Usage (first edition only) under my pillowā€”not really, but metaphorically. I studied German in high school and could read a moderate amount of it 47 years ago, but I could never speak it worth spit.

7 Likes

Only English and Russian here.

I imagine itā€™s hard to learn any language you donā€™t have a use for.

4 Likes

Iā€™m only fluent in English.

I have some rudimentary Japanese and even less German, and then I can also count to 10 in Indonesian.

8 Likes

Iā€™m afraid I am still trying to master English.

You donā€™t need to be perfect at one language to start with the next one. :smiley: Thatā€™s not how languages work. Actually, you might even profit from once having learned Spanish for a year when you later learn Russian - just an example - because you learned something about learning and about grammatical concepts in general.

6 Likes

Native: German
Quite good: English
Once at an intermediate level, but forgot most of it: French and Polish
Once at a basic level, but forgot most of it: Russian and Esperanto
Only able to read and understand part of it: Dutch
Only about 15 to 20 words: Hebrew, Arabic, Italian

And whenever I visit a foreign country, I think itā€™s just polite to learn at least a few words, like ā€œhelloā€ and ā€œthank youā€. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

and ā€œtoiletā€ haha

5 Likes

What I usually say is the 3 most important words to learn are hello, thanks, sorry.

Acknowledging the other personā€™s existence, efforts and feelings.

7 Likes

cries in monoglottism

8 Likes

Ach, du Armer! *gives bugcat a hug* :grin:

6 Likes