Which languages do you speak?

Well, I guess it’s not absolute monoglottism. My multiple serious attempts at learning Japanese have left me with a few kanji and a chunk of the kana, and the odd grammatical word and structure. My go at learning Latin, where I actually bought some textbooks, did get me to the level where I could use a small vocabulary, conjugations, and verbs to contruct sentences (but only in the present tense). I only understood a minority even of the verb conjugations though.

I’ve always liked linguistics a lot, so I end up looking at a lot of languages and then stopping when it gets too hard or I realise I can’t pronounce their syllables: see Korean, Sanskrit, Nahuatl…

So, thanks for the encouragement! :3

4 Likes

I’m native in Fnnish, decent in English and know just barely enough Swedish to hold up a conversation.

I also understand some Estonian (which is basically Finnish) and also Norwegian and Danish (which are just Swedish-ish)

4 Likes

native speaker: German
decent level: English

primarily written text:
long ago excellent: Latin
hence basic understanding of: French, Italian, Spanish, …
Dutch, because of the very close relationship to northwestern German
very basic skills: once about 800 Chinese characters (traditional)

Few words: Arabic, Hebrew, Russian, ancient Greek
(I just like foreign writing systems.)

I actually began to study Chinese ideographs just out of curiosity,
because I wanted to know the meaning of those few lines in the
song “I like Chinese” by Monty Python: “Wo ai zhong guo ren…” and
how to write it.

I like Chinese (Monty Python)

9 Likes

Wow I am very surprised with the diversity in here! Nice topic.

native speaker: Portuguese (BR)
Fluent: English
Basic: German (I lived a few months there but didn’t got beyond 5-10 words conversations)
And as @ayaros, I get some free points with Spanish and written French and Italian :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I never would have guessed you weren’t native English!

3 Likes

english only :frowning:

spent more time on french but still totally suck. (though i can order you a black jumper and a cup of tea)

i can also tell you the suger is expensive in german

plus the usual please ,no thanks in chinese,egyption ,italian and latin.

so you can instantly tell i am from the uk

4 Likes

Everyone is Brazilian Portuguese! I’m starting to suspect nobody actually lives in Portugal…

5 Likes

5% of Portuguese aren’t even literate :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Dangerous topic. So many go players claim they can’t read after all.

13 Likes

Really? O___O

I’ve always thought i’m making so much typos that it’d be obvious xD

A cool idea would be to learn languages in a sequence dictated by geography. So, let’s say you’re an English native like me. Bordering England is Wales, so you might learn Welsh. Then if you learn Scots Gaelic your linguistic area has grown to the whole of Britain, whereupon you could (mentally) cross the Irish Sea (taking the time to learn Manx) and pick up Irish. After three other Celtic languages it shouldn’t be too hard, right? :stuck_out_tongue: Then if you collect the various dialects of Norman French from the English channel, you’re ready to gaze over at the continent…

3 Likes

Native spanish, fluent and good level in danish (family danish), english decent and german, good level (went to a german school). Started to learn russian but with small progress and the same with arabian (fosha) but could manage basic sentences to move around.

3 Likes

Native English speaker. I can speak French if need be, but people’s eyes are going to glaze over while they wait for me to painfully put a sentence together. And I don’t have a good ear for Acadian French, it’s quite different. I still want to know, who’s this Marcy Beaucoup I keep hearing about?

I know a miniscule amount of Spanish I guess, enough for emergencies.

5 Likes

cries in borders with four

*five if you count Italy beyond the sea

1 Like

:flushed: :flushed: I should start inside Italian borders I suppose:

and a lot of sub-categories (often very different each from the other) are not represented in this map.

@Gia: you know, we have also two well-known spots where it is spoken Griko (a relict still present of the ancient presence of Greeks in the South of Italy).

3 Likes

I grew up by the Ionian sea :slightly_smiling_face:

waves emphatically in friendly

2 Likes

Hey, if we all start learning the small languages around us we’ll eventually join up and make a big European OGS Sprachsbund! :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We used to say that the French are our cousins, but the Greeks are our brothers, so deep are the roots of the Romans with the Ancient Greeks. Nevertheless respective languages and the alphabets are so different.

1 Like

I’ve had, at other forums not here, Americans telling me that ancient Greeks spoke Latin. I still die a little inside when I remember it.

1 Like

I started playing around with Toki Pona today and am thinking about learning Esperanto. Looks like a lot of fun!

2 Likes