Whom should I choose for a one-time lesson?

Depends on your level. I’d say get a lesson from a certified teacher who got the certificate in CJK. Unless you want to specifically support content creators and/or non-teacher pros and top amateurs. And unless you’re weaker than SDK or so, because then it’d be an overkill most likely.

From my experience taking one-time reviews and lessons from western top amateurs, asian pros and asian certified teachers, so far the teacher experience has been by far the best. Actually to think of it, my most interesting live lesson was with a top amateur player, but the lesson that was the most beneficial for my improvement was with a teacher. Though my sample size isn’t that big.

2 Likes

My OGS rank is 20k, maybe a couple of ranks higher is more accurate, according to others (on good days).

So basically anyone would do :slight_smile:

How would I find one of those? Anyone you recommend?

(I do think “best at what they do” and “best at teaching what they do” do not necessarily overlap, in general).

1 Like

If you want a lesson in Greek, Easylifer is the only one teaching and he is also a certified tutor from EGF I think and his class has already produced one player in a “from zero to hero” process for the national team, so he knows his stuff. :slight_smile:
Don’t know his rates/schedule though.

3 Likes

I just barely lost the opportunity for the possibility of live lessons due to the pandemic :confused:

2 Likes

Just googling for go teachers in english and checking their bio to see if they’re certified or not. There are some teachers scattered around, and some you may even know about, like Badukdoctor (certified KABA), In-seong (certified KBA), etc. Also remember that a teacher doesn’t necessarily need to be a professional to be certified in those associations. Quite often it’s just strong amateurs by day.

2 Likes

I teach Go through video chat. You can send me a message and schedule a time if you like.

Speaking personally, I recommend picking up a copy of The Second Book of Go by Richard Bozulich and putting the rest of the money toward the teacher. A book can keep giving advice and tips long after the lesson ends.

7 Likes

I think you’re about 16-17k OGS, based on our recent game together. Your rank-graph is heading that way too.

The chosen teacher should have a track record of being able to add value to DDK’s.

8 Likes

I’ve been taking lessons from Yoonyoung Kim since I was around 15k (about 6 years ago). She has a twitch and youtube channels if you want to see how she teaches. Most of her student online are dans but I can vouch that she’s also a very good teacher for DDK.

6 Likes

As a first book, I cannot recommend Janice Kim’s series of books enough.
I just read them two times and started playing by audaciously claiming that I was 12k, right off the bat with no games ever played, just by reading those books. Turns out, it was true. Great books :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good point, I wouldn’t do well with someone who wouldn’t adjust to what I want out of the game…

1 Like

Accurate. :slightly_smiling_face: And I love books. :slightly_smiling_face: (I haven’t read the ones I have but).

I think I need some guidance that only a teacher can offer, even if it’s just a lesson, to put my all-over-the-place into some shape, and I can take the cooking from there again.

6 Likes

Me lol?

2 Likes

Intent to adjust is easy.

Demonstrated ability to do it well would be a different matter… DDK is a long way away from Dandom.

2 Likes

From all the suggestions i would opt for M Redmond. He’s 9 dan, he speaks good english. He’s a teacher with experience online. I met him and he is a very wise man.

What i would expect from one session is to fall in love again with go. To find some magic some attitude from the game i will play with him. Not really more as that. He will surely point out the most essential concern at this precise time in your go, but he won’t have a magic formula to change the pumpkin into a bugatti.

For more, it has to be a process on more sessions. You get some new material, try to work on it in games, get reviewed and go to the next material. Buy i know and fair enough, that’s not what you’re looking for.

7 Likes

Indeed. I’ve had dozens of payed lessons from very strong amateur and pro teachers over the years. Those teachers were great and the lessons were interesting and insightful, but I didn’t suddenly get significiantly stronger from a single lesson. So don’t get your expectations too high in that regard.

2 Likes

I didn’t expect that at all, as I’ve mentioned just to get some direction.

1 Like

I can relate to what Groin and gennan say. I’ve been taking lessons from European pros and 6d+ players for 2.5 years. I didn’t count how many but maybe 1 lesson every 2-3 weeks on average. What they taught me was useful, they did point out some ideas that were missing and that would have taken much more time to discover by myself, however I feel that go knowledge consists of a huge number of technical details and the best teacher can only go over a tiny fraction of them.

I still continue to take lessons, mainly because they serve as a motivation to continue studying. We have a league system, each week we play a long and serious game on KGS that gets reviewed, and we also have an 1h lecture. This is fun because several other players are around my level and are like rivals. And it is also more fun to interact with real people (players + teacher) than with an anonymous user on a go server.

6 Likes

Yeah! When playing (IRL but there is this side online too) a top player, you get in your own game how your moves at times are so meaningless and his always powerful (and natural and…) That’s already a lot of sunshine for your next games and motivation to do better yourself.

3 Likes

I reckon “a good teacher can only go over a tiny fraction of them; the best teacher knows which tiny fraction to go over.” Groin commented…

Anyone who finds someone who suits and/or can adapt to their personal style/taste is a lucky individual :slight_smile:

2 Likes

InSeong Hwang makes personalized evaluations for his students, but he probably needs to see a couple of games to do that well.

2 Likes