Whom should I choose for a one-time lesson?

I’m considering buying a one-month Patreon* (or other) with one of our beloved Go teachers/ content creators, basically the equivalent of one lesson.

Based on your favs and what you think would suit me best**, which one would you suggest?

Please keep in mind this will be just this one lesson, so please no long-term study plans.

*I guess this is allowed and not considered abusing the system or anything.

**optional, people who don’t have an opinion on the second part please feel free to respond anyway

6 Likes

Do you have a preference for the format of such a lesson?

Would it be like a game review, possibly a game played and then reviewed? Or just one of your previous games, or one you like and then a lesson made from some of the ideas in the games.

I think I’ve come across different teachers that do something like those.

4 Likes

yes I recommend considering what you’re going to enjoy. I had an opportunity for a similar one off lesson last year and ended up playing a game with a stranger while the teacher watched, very nervous making, and not what I would do again (although it was interesting and I learned, no disrespect to the teacher, just not my style)

3 Likes

@shinuito I think a game and then review would be the best, interacting with the teacher. I can’t imagine it being a “full” lesson otherwise, more of a (very high quality, of course) review.

@Allerleirauh I pledged about 40 Euros or something to a Go-related cause that didn’t happen, so since I considered that money burned anyway… I’ve seen most Patreons around that amount for the tier that is basically a lesson, I might be wrong.

1 Like

I’d recommend a handicap game with a pro and short review. See which pro would fit in your budget.

3 Likes

Michael Redmond’s 50$ (USD) tier gets a private review with him. He’s an amazing teacher, and he’s fun and engaging. I was taking monthly lessons with him for a few months that were streamed live on Twitch (normally they’re private of course :sweat_smile:) I can send you one of the VODs if you want to see an example of his teaching style

6 Likes

Probably there are many pros out there that I don’t know about, since I’m not much for following content creators other than a few, so if anyone knows someone that I don’t even know I’d be glad to consider.
That’s why I didn’t post names myself, so that everyone can suggest whoever they want, I’ll consider all.

2 Likes

Review as in game+review, or review of a game I’ve played?

Also, yes I’d love to see an example.

Looking around, if I were you I would just buy a really nice cake, but second option maybe Oscar. Cause it’s Oscar, he’s cool, he’s Spanish.

Just an option to consider, because I honestly don’t understand what is expected here, and what is the point.

4 Likes

You play in simuls against him (time controls like 40 mins main time plus a bunch of byo-yomi), then you get a private Zoom review with him afterwards.

I’m presently in panic mode because Discord is down and I was in the middle of working on stuff there but after I stop panicking I will hunt down those vods for you :smiling_face_with_tear:

2 Likes

All pros i played were free games in events, training camps and so on so i can hardly advise you. But it has always been a wonderful experience.
I advise you more pro as strong ama as they proved to me to be generally more sweet and inspired ( I wrote generally, sorry if i offended someone )

1 Like

I’d second Oscar. He’s incredibly strong, and also an enjoyable person to be around. He’s super young yet has tons of experience explaining things at all levels and teaching

1 Like

Just one lesson is the point. You don’t see the point of just one or of the lesson?

Cakes are in the monthly budget always.

4 Likes

Damn Goop(altrow) works fast, that witch.

1 Like

The cheapest teacher I know of is BenKyo.

On his Patreon Tier 3, you can get (at least) 45m on-stream lesson time for what shows up for me as £11.50, which is less than €14.

Disclaimer: I’m one of Ben’s mods. I’m not a shill, though, and if someone can show me a cheaper teaching package then I’m all eyes.

7 Likes

Personally I do not mind at all, it’s in the spirit of my question :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t really know what this means :sweat_smile: but here are the two most recent VODs, which I apparently had forgotten to publish until looking at them just now:

Twitch (the first hour and a half is just the game; you have to skip forward quite a bit to get to Redmond’s review). I haven’t listened to it but I think that one had horrible echo because I didn’t have my headphones, so the following (and more recent) one is better:

Twitch from January 8th, where I had headphones thank God. Again you’ll have to skip the first hour and a half, if it doesn’t automatically jump there based on the link

BenKyo’s great too. I’d probably recommend him for regular lessons. For a one-off, I’m sure he’d be phenomenal as well, but it’s always cool to play a pro just once to say that you did :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Gwyneth Paltrow is pulling strings to stop you.

1 Like

Eh she can’t compete with me. I’m not worried. Let her try her worst >:D

4 Likes

" 1:38:58
Mordencranst
:Or is this what the 9p gods sound like when they talk to us mortals?"

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes