Why can't we just ask new players their rank?

Well, I didn’t have any problems, that means they aren’t real.

On the other hand, implementation of humble ranks recognizes that starting in the middle doesn’t quite work.

1 Like

We could have different entry point
If you have a recognized level, then prove it (EGF AGA etc… rating) Admins will register you at some adjusted level.
If you don’t start like now
If you are a beginner start as a beginner.

More constraints for the admins but good quick start to an adjusted level.

If you ask about it, you make people more responsible too and there is more satisfaction toward future regular user to pass through a much shorter adjustment step.

If 5% of stupid sandbaggers register at the beginner level they will be even more detectable and 95% of beginners will have quickly better games between each other.
For recognized ranking there are already tools/database on internet and since not so long ago OGS has more experience as before so it should become not a complex thing too. To the happyness of stronger players who may appreciate more to come and play here.

2 Likes

I love diet coke

its unnecessary for those who trying to think about what’s going on.
But fact is: there are a lot of new users who don’t try. Those who has wrong assumptions that improving at Go is fast and easy. Those who greatly underestimate difference between ranks. Start with 20 loses is enough to start hate Go.

Sometimes I get a bit tired of why-questions.
But there is still hope.

Error 1020
Ray ID: 66f4cc6b5bea0ce7 •
2021-07-15 17:44:23 UTC
Access denied

One of these stupid website I hate.

Btw you didn’t answer me on that bottle, but maybe the answer was too obvious.

Didn’t have a clue of what you meant.

The whole issue was argued over in great detail and at massive length, until the great idea of humble rank was proposed and adopted.

I think humble rank, which is the system in use right now, works very well.

1. Players are shifted quickly to accurate ranks through the uncertainty period.

2. Sandbagging and airbagging is made more difficult.

3. New players are no longer (visibility) entered at 13k, stopping beginners getting crushed or the real 13ks being given unpaid volunteer work beating them.

I’ve never heard a better system proposed. Ask new players their rank and you’ll see a hundred “6d?” accounts made by 8 kyus the week after.

2 Likes

I am not sure on the translation of the title of the movie (les dieux sont tombés sur la tête) gods falling on the head, about the Kalahari tribe in Africa.
Well nvm.

How about setting up a few bots of various strength and suggesting new players to play bots for the first few games?

2 Likes

If I want to play humans I would be rather annoyed that you force me to spend several games on bots before I can finally do what I came for.

Also, weaker bots are easily manipulated and so may not be reliable to test ranks.

1 Like

I didn’t say forcing them to play bots.

It doesn’t have to be accurate. Self-report rank isn’t accurate as well.

1 Like

Ah my bad, I misunderstood.

Are you talking about The Gods Must Be Crazy? A bottle dropped out of a small plane falls in the Kalahari desert and disrupts life among the tribe, so they decide that someone must take it to the edge of the world and throw it back to the gods. That was a huge, sleeper hit when it came out around 1973, I think.

But this is off-topic.

3 Likes

Yes. Half century… I wondered if the pic was from the movie to @Atorrante .
Nothing more, thx.