Why do most games have very short times?

I’m always surprised to see that a lot of 13x13 are set to less than 10 minutes total time, and a lot of 9x9 set to less than 5 minutes. I don’t see how you can properly think out all your moves in such a short amount of time, unless you’re a very advanced player (Which most players creating those games are not). So is there really a point or are those people just in a hurry ?

1 Like

People usually use some sort of extra time after the main time. I haven’t seen any absolute timed games in ages.

2 Likes

I could imagine that this tendency to play Blitz (link to Sensei’s Library) or at least fast games may be due to a shorter attention span <shrug> .

Ah yes, I forgot about Byoyomi … and perhaps ten minutes for 13x13 and five for 9x9 ain’t that blitzy then.

1 Like

blitz games are very popular, especially among players who want to play a large number of games to review in a group, and people who don’t have the time to dedicate to a proper game. The average game of go will have more than 200 moves, and played at a natural pace it will usually last an hour or so.

blitz isn’t to my taste, personally, but I understand the appeal.

2 Likes

Particularly 9x9 and 13x13 tournaments. The short time settings can still take an hour or more when there are approx 10 players. Also I can last on byoyomi for a looooong time. Pretty much the whole game if need be.

1 Like

The pros train thenselves by playing 20s/move. That’s the way to train to come up with the best solution in the shortest time, also you have to read and judge situations faster. For us it’s just a way to reduce time spent for one single game and some people do not like to think too hard about it.

1 Like