Why do strong players play this bad move?

1kyu/1dan is not as strong as a player as you might think.

A bit of an old-ranks hangover ^w^

Agree with you wholeheartedly. Always considered it a strange thing that there are go players who consider their bot as God.

1 Like

I don’t think the 3-3 attachment was ever much of a joseki in response to the low 1-space pincer. In Waltheri’s database it only occurs in 3% of the cases and most of those games are more than 100 years old.
So I think the 3-3 attachment was already killed long before AI. The OGS joseki dictionary also marks it as a mistake (though EidoGo seems to consider it a normal move).

So returning to the original question: white is already outside “joseki territory” before his hane in the corner. And yes, it is unsurpising to me that players at low dan level make multiple mistakes in a joseki. Like @denisweber90 said: don’t overestimate low dan players.

2 Likes

I looked up my old joseki dictionary (this one pushed in 2004)

At the time, b and c are considered common response, a is situational, and could lead to many variations. b is the natural easy move, c focus more on the outside influence, and d is meant to settle early.

The tiger’s mouse is the first variation showed when both sides wants to settle

All these variations are considered, some are bad for white.

And the hane variation is consider a passive defense move, and shouldn’t be played in fuseki, and would give black thick outside wall.

The e response is considered experimental at the time.

And the final tenuki option

6 Likes