Why do you not play?

Player base is small, so easy to get suitable games. So I primarily play on Fox, where I can always get a game in 30 seconds 24x7.

Not enough time, not enough skill, not enough concentration. The latest tournament which I was not aware that would lead to 9 games starting at the same time was not something that I thought it was a good idea. It ended up going well, but I felt that the constant switching of directions from game to game was making some of the fun go away.
The lack/disabling of analysis tool during that tournament didnā€™t help either, so maybe that played some part.

Also I do not understand/like the OGS ranking algorithm, so sometimes ranked games feels like I enrolled to a basketball tournament while wearing ice-scates.

Nothing, really. Unless some miracle happens and I suddenly become smarter and better at multi-tasking, which is highly unlikely.

1 Like

I always play ranked ā€¦

• if the rank difference allows
  • and if the opponent does not insist on playing unranked.

I like the ranking system, not for having a rank, but for giving both players a ~50% chance of winning/losing.

5 Likes

My father, who was an excellent chess player, was introduced to go when he was in the Occupation of Japan. He never took it up because he thought it took too much time to play a game. Thankfully he indulged my interest in the game by honoring my request for a set on my 12th birthday. I donā€™t play much here because I have always preferred IRL games and used to play with a local group every weekend. When I retire this summer, I will start attending on a regular basis a couple clubs within driving distance, which means I will probably play here even less.

10 Likes

As for me, the main reason is time. Circumstances often develop in such a way that I have to interrupt the game (that is, surrender), regardless of whether I lose or win. Itā€™s annoying, so I only play ranked games if Iā€™m sure (or rather, close to sure) that no one will stop me from finishing the game. Also, Iā€™m a very slow player, so I need time, again. Usually a game takes me about an hour and a half, unfortunately, I can find so much free time not as often as I would like. Thatā€™s why I mostly play rating games by correspondence.

What would motivate me to play more rated games? Nothing, perhaps. The thing is, Go is not really a game for me. Itā€™s more like a mental practice, a kind of meditation, something that heals my nerves and restores the strength of my spirit (thatā€™s why the ranking or the result of the game is far from being of primary importance to me). Medicine for the weary soul, if you know what I mean. And any medicine is good in moderation and on time. Go overdose is a reality for me, something I have experienced and would not want to experience again.

2 Likes

I guess itā€™s my turn, here at NonGoHolics Anonymous. Hi everyone, Iā€™m espo.

Lately I havenā€™t been playing many games at all, but even if I could, I would play most of my games unranked, for a few main reasons.

1: I believe ranked games are for measuring one's own strength, or in other words, for the most part they really make sense only if you take them seriously and do your best to win.

(With possibly a few exceptions, such as perhaps helping newcomers find their ranks because of the terrible experience the rating system offers)

But since I believe the Go journey is not about always winning, but about learning and having fun, it doesnā€™t make sense to take every game seriously, and it doesnā€™t make sense to let your game become ā€œcalcifiedā€ into doing the same things over and over because youā€™re afraid of losing.

And experimenting with moves that feel ā€œwrongā€ or ā€œweirdā€ will eventually broaden your horizons and let you learn new things, and new ways to play better, but when you experiment youā€™re not ā€œdoing your best to winā€.

ā€ƒ

2: The swings up and down of the rating system take an emotional toll and scare me.

ā€ƒEvery time you have a lucky streak a little hope builds up that it means youā€™re improving, and every time youā€™re in a rut, the rating going down feels like adding insult to injury.
ā€ƒEspecially for someone with depressive tendencies like me, this is not good.

So essentially I kinda decided to only play ranked when I feel like Iā€™m playing well.

ā€ƒBy the way, a lot of people refrain that ā€œthe more games you play, the better the system will rank youā€, but our current rating system is built in such a way that, to some degree, the more games you play, or at least the more frequently you play, the more volatile your rating gets.
ā€ƒ(might be because players who play more frequently are the ones who takes games the least seriously and do a lot of random stuff, and are more likely to get in ruts)

ā€ƒ

Well, the first point would only change if I radically changed my mind about the meaning of ranked games.

The second point would definitely be improved, though not be solved completely, by a less volatile rating system.

For both points, I guess it would be better if I just became detached from winning, losing, and the rank, but for now itā€™s just not part of my personality I guess.

I find myself annoyingly often playing the same moves over and over because theyā€™re the only patterns I know, and it takes an enormous amount of will to stop myself and experiment something different, and itā€™s because of the fear of losing.
At least playing unranked takes some of that edge off.

5 Likes

What? This can not happen. I challenged you to a game.

3 Likes

:blue_heart:

Thanks.

Unfortunately, I canā€™t stand some things that have happened, and they donā€™t even want me to protest/fight :sob:

As a moderator, I always tried to make OGS a fairer place, and I ended up being treated unfairly :frowning:

I might be banned for posting this. I donā€™t care. It would just be another wrong decision among many.

4 Likes

In my case, I probably burned myself out when I was pushing everything I could to improveā€¦

It became part of depressive spiraling that I would play, get frustrated at all the dumb mistakes I would make, and play more tilted, and repeat until I just really didnā€™t like myself.

I still love to teach beginners occasionally, but when I play games Iā€™ve lost that feeling of fun from learning and improving at the game, trying new things, andā€¦ yā€™knowā€¦ playing it as a gameā€¦ Suddenly I have all the frustration of trying out new things and failing, and none of the rewards for when it works

The loss of that social interaction through tournaments hasnā€™t helped though

10 Likes

The way this is phrased suggests itā€™s about ranked games on OGS vs unranked games or ranked games on other servers. So this answer may not really be relevantā€¦ butā€¦

I havenā€™t been playing much at all, ranked/unranked, OGS or anywhere. Basically ever since last yearā€™s Western Server Challenge. Maybe I got burnt out but at the end of that month I was feeling excited to continue to play regularly at a slower pace. But then I justā€¦ didnā€™t. And then some personal things happened and months of no playing just piled up.

I have a lot of other hobbies and I play a lot of other games, and that often competes with time to play go. But letā€™s be honest none of those are truly as fulfilling is the experience of go (well, maybe one game gets close)

Asides from the obvious answers like ā€œbecome independently wealthy and never have to workā€ I think I would play more on OGS (ranked or unranked) if I had a regular opportunity to play in person. Because if I was going to frequent a meetup I would want to be more comfortable playing than I am now, so playing some games online would help. Itā€™s actually something Iā€™m working on for the new year

5 Likes

Thank u 4 ur contribution to our community! Go player and moderator is not the full life. Hope u healthy and happy everydays! :partying_face:

I remember it that I click wrong key and quit my first rengo game :face_holding_back_tears: , but u (I guess and believe :wink:) drag me back, so I can resume, thx a ton.

5 Likes

Iā€™m starting to care more about quality than about quantity.

1 Like
  1. Burnout
  2. OGS decided to take me from 2D to 6Dā€¦ Thanks, Glicko2.
  3. I completed my goal of beating Mark5000 twice.
  4. Itā€™s been so long that I donā€™t have any reading ability left. Iā€™m probably closer to 3k or so by now.
10 Likes