Why does 1 pass end game after resuming?

After two passes the game goes to scoring. One player might opt to continue the game, at which point the other player gets to make the first move. If that other player immediately passes then the game goes to scoring again. The person who opted to play on needs to opt to play on again in order to play the move they originally wanted to make.

What is the reasoning behind this current design? I think it would make more sense to require two consecutive passes to go back to scoring again. (This is of course the case as long as the opponent does not immediately pass)

7 Likes

It may have just been an oversight. Very easy to write:

const n = moves.length
if (moves[n-1] === "pass" && moves[n-2] === "pass") {
    enterScoringMode()
}

But I agree, you shouldn’t need to resume twice to play your move.

3 Likes

Would it require any other code changes? When you opt to resume the game your opponent should get to play first, however in the scenario above after the first player opts to continue the second player goes first, but when the first player opts to continue again the first player goes first. The person who wants to continue playing should always go second.

I wonder if the person who gets to play first is simply whoever did not move/pass on the last turn?

1 Like

depends on the ruleset, unless you’re saying that rulesets should have the opponent of the player who requests resumption play first

Depends on the ruleset

3 Likes

Oh, I didn’t realise other rulesets allow the person who wants to continue to play first. I typically play Japanese rules, so all my comments relate to that ruleset.