Why not Seki

Can someone explain to me why the group at the bottom is not Seki? I cannot see a way for black to kill white or the other way round, but the AI marks it as white dead

The status of white’s group in the lower left is a bit ambiguous.

Black can kill it by playing A2, or white can make a ko by playing A2.

However, realistically white can’t win that ko due to a lack of ko threats, so I’d say white’s group is dead either way.

1 Like

Thanks for response. Does AI take ko threats into account when scoring? Presumably not?

I think it’s AI with low playouts, so it does take into account ko threats, but in a complicated board situation it can make mistakes.

1 Like

+1

If we take the complete 9 x 9 final position into account, I see a black group with three eyes. Therefore Black’s group can never be killed.
A seki next to a living group is just not possible.

If it is white’s turn, white could play A2 and start a ko (if there would have been ko threats that black has to answer to).

Isn’t this a seki next to a living group? Or did I misunderstand what you wanted to say?

living group that enclosed another group.

Edit: was not as black and white as I thought :smiley:

This is a seki with a living group enclosing two groups in seki.

(Of course the groups in seki can’t have two eyes, otherwise it wouldn’t be a seki.)

1 Like