Wish: Search for rating +- on a specific board size

Hi, we have different ratings for different board sizes. My ratings on the board sizes differ a lot, so it would be nice to have a search option

" I search for a 19 x 19 game ± x Stones meant for MY 19 rating"

on the manual search

Regards

1 Like

This has been discussed before, though I can’t remember where now. The previous discussion was to find games based on users rating +/- x stones, although the breakdown by board size was not covered. I agree that this would be a useful shortcut compared to looking up your rating (whether overall, by board size, by time or by both), working out what ranks correspond to +/- x stones (minimal mental effort, but not zero), and then manually setting up a game with that rank restriction :+1: However, I suspect this use case is niche enough, the implementation effort is big enough and the workaround is good enough that I can’t see this happening any time soon :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

The problem is when I manually search “from rank to rank” this rank also means the overall rank and not the specific board rank. I dont have a problem to manually set these settings before I search for a game.

But I would like to be able to search for this rank to that rank for THAT specific boardsize

anoek did some research last time he was in the rating code and discovered counter-intuitively that overall is still a better result predictor than the board-time specific ratings. The benefit of more data points tends to outweigh the fluctuations in which setting you prefer.

3 Likes

So if you are saying that the breakdown of ranks are not accurate then why have them?

1 Like

I don’t think it’s that they’re not accurate, it’s just that the overall rank does a good enough job to use it for matchmaking for all sizes. I guess it’s just that being good at NxN go correlates with being good at MxM go.

I think it’s just a summary statistic really. If you look at someones profile with 100s or 1000s of games and you’re wondering, “Well this last persons 50 games were 9x9, is that all they play?”, then you look at their ratings table and if you just see the default greyed out rating on sizes other than 9x9, then the answer is yes.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.