Women in go

You can apply them in chess clubs if you find yourself there, no complaints. :wink:

1 Like

I think this is correct.

7 Likes

Let’s put it this way: what piece of evidence could convince you that, let’s be generous and say, 10% is indeed the proper quota for women in the sense that “these are all the women who actually enjoy this”?

It’s complicated… so isn’t it a mix of both? Mostly cultural. I would think that 5% is (unfortunately) a huge progress over the past hundred years.

I think progress like this will be slow as it has been but there is no reason to be pessimistic that it won’t continue improving. I even have some optimism that it reaches a point where intertie takes over and interest among women in traditionally male activities compounds.

2 Likes

It’s important to try to be inclusive right from the start, even before anyone shows any interest. People are more likely to pursue hobbies and interests that they can share with similar people (in age, gender, personality, motivation, etc.)

I think not being proactive is how things can end up with a huge gender disparity just by accident and social inertia.

6 Likes

I like how you pretend like nothing happened, but hey. :slight_smile:
Simply put:
A) There should be no “quota” of any kind … if people enjoy some activity, they should be able to enjoy it regardless of social status, gender or whatever. That ability to be free to choose without people judging you is not a matter of “reaching a quota”.
B) You cannot quantify interest/enjoyment. There are people enrolled in a huge variety of activities not because they like them, but because their parents did/do. I am very interested to see how you would venture into trying though. The language itself considers “joy” as something uncountable (“there was much joy to be had” - notice the absense of the measuring unit)

I agree with that.
Just for the record, when we tried to make the “Greek Go Association” we needed a minimum quota of some people to form a club. We obviously didn’t have those and the proposed solution was to have friends and relatives that have no idea about Go sign up and we’d pay their fees.

Of course the idea failed, but you do not get more inclusive than “do they breathe? GET THEM IN!” :stuck_out_tongue:
If you can get more inclusive than that, I am all for it.

3 Likes

So you claim to know that the disparity is due to X, but you’re not willing to let any evidence to the contrary sway your judgement.

Ah. You know what that’s called? Dogma.

Once again I didn’t say that, but it seems to be your habit. :slight_smile:

There is no “evidence” for EVERY statement and you cannot count feelings.
If you *can measure something that cannot be measured by definition (like enjoyment, like you claimed you’d do - please do not move the goalposts again :wink: ) by all means do try.
I will gladly read it and, if you have managed the impossible, be inclined to reasonably consider it.

1 Like

I can readily think two reasons that might have factored:

• “Why is she in that club with those men? What is she asking for?.. Hmf, let’s whisper about it up and down and make sure it reaches her parents and older brother”…
  • “I’d like to try this, but what are the odds I end up among sleazy men who will hit my DMs day and night pretending it’s about Go, or even believing I have to form a romantic relationship with at least one of them, so they consider me claimed? This seems fun, but better not subject myself to it. :confused:

I’m not saying they are the only reasons or that they even apply to the specific persons, but food for thought…

5 Likes

Can we reverse this question some? Why are men way more likely to play 1v1 strategy games? Is it cultural or personal inclination?

My thoughts? Exact same answer as for women. Mostly cultural.

My thoughts on a major factor - men have a lot less friends and are way more likely to have no close friends. We tend towards niche hobbies for community.

5 Likes

This is an issue, of course. Men can’t have close friends, or show feelings, or enjoy closeness and companionship that isn’t about the army or hunting, this will cause discussions.

4 Likes

I am a man and consider some users of this forum my friends.

6 Likes

Oh, and also, from personal experience:

“you study in this male dominated university? Well, good choice to find a guy to marry, female schools are tough competition.”

5 Likes

I consider some ogfers my friends as well.

Maybe it’s my phrasing, I meant it as a society prejudice, not as an idea to be reinforced or followed.

4 Likes

Yes. My point for the other perspective is that maybe males are too interested in these pursuits. So there are social/cultural pressures both ways.

Add in this, and you get the current gender embalance.

3 Likes

“Might” is the perfect word indeed. :slight_smile:
Do the things you describe happen? Quite often, if not “almost always”
Could it have happened in that case? It could have.
Did it happen in that case? No, because we didn’t know any women that would even consider joining. On the “extra signatures” we were thinking people like friends and relatives

There were no women. Zero. None. Not even in the “extra signatures”. Sorry.

So, yes, those things you mention MIGHT have happened.
But, no women, no discrimination.
Which is still my point.
We want people.
We do not see genders. We want players.
Want?
We NEED players.
Desperately.
The Greek national team has been fielding me in their PandaNet championship games.
They know I am horrible at live games.
I’ve lost almost all of the games for the team.
They still field me as 4rth board.
Why?
We need people.

I didn’t get that memo, but ok.

1 Like

I’m mentioning the internal monologue that leads to not even showing up.

You can’t know why no women show up. I can’t either, not factually. I’m explaining the usual thought process. It’s not always the reason, but it’s a frequent reason.

Even if I’m interested, I think twice and steer clear. And I doubt many will admit as much to you.

4 Likes

This is a quite plausible description of how Go is perceived: it’s not a game, it’s one of those “computer codes - turned into - games” that flood the mobile apps’ markets and the marketing style is appropriate to the supposed target.
When I have serious trouble finding a notepad app for work which is not cute or bubbly, I can imagine why a little girl won’t find any Go apps in “games suggested for you” lists and will end up playing “my little Unicorn”

(I keep mentioning girls because they will grow up with set preferences).

Θα 'ρθει να μπλεχτεί μια ΜΚΟ! :woman_shrugging:

I’m sure there is research on that which I can’t disprove, but maybe you should factor in the civil status and the age brackets, for your own consideration of this data.

What I call ‘the long-term strategy’.

My expectations for this would be expressed in light years rather than lifetimes, though. I may be wrong, but as long as I can’t go play an evening Go game without thinking of my safety first, I have no hope.

Isn’t it strange that some educational systems produce a lot of female electricians, mechanics, programmers, physicists, biologists, plumbers and jet pilots, while other educational systems produce female typists, kindergadren teachers, tv anchors, accountants and shoes sales assistants? :thinking: :thinking:

I think this is because it is easier to make a woman a society outcast, so we must play by the book a lot and because men have difficulties by other men (and mothers) in pursuing “unmanly” hobbies.

3 Likes

You seem to base your implicit claim (framed as a rhetorical question) on data drawn from a number of unnamed sources. What are your sources?

In order to investigate whether such a difference exists, if so, what the difference is and in which direction it differs, I will have to know (at least) the data you’re using as a basis.

oi there bundle of joy (see, I am helping. “bundle of joy” might be a measuring unit huehuehue), do not go opening other deep data dives. I am waiting for your proof on how “enjoyment” can be “measured” :wink: I am waiting in line here. I have my coupons and everything.

1 Like