World Amateur Go Championship 2021

All results and the next pairings:

Frejlak against CA, Wu Qiyou
Podpera vs Benjamin
Kaymin vs IT, Pace Alessandro
Rooney Gavin against AU, Mitchell David

Btw, this McMahon so people have different starting points, which is annoying for me. In world cup everyone should have a shot at 1st place, I think.

Some photos:
https://vk.com/wall-436_17814
https://vk.com/wall-436_17808

3 Likes

From the photos, the dark area in the stream seems to be right next to a big window wall, either the weather is really dark or it’s a camera thing.

1 Like

Yeah in a cup I also would expect something like Swiss. That said maybe since they want to regularly broadcast the top boards maybe they don’t want board 1 to be 7dan vs 7kyu.

I don’t know the difference between MM and MMo :slight_smile:

1 Like

I understand from the table that MMo is the original Mac Mahon score:

• players 4d and above get 2 MMo
  • players ranked 2d or 3d get 1 MMo
  • players 1d and weaker get 0 MMo.

At the beginning of the tournament, the Mac Mahon Score MM is equal to MMo. Then, MM is incremented by 1 for each victory.

1 Like

Does anybody have the SGFs of games, or knows how to find them? Now that they are not live, I cannot find them in pandanet.

I haven’t seen them anywhere.

Some move slow-mo footage with happy music

The weather doesn’t seem to be very great: cloudy, moist and foggy. Maybe it’s a camera thing but just doesn’t look like it’s well lit.

According to this Первый микро конфликт на ЧМ Из-за.. | Любители игры Го | VK in the game between Australia and, khm, Chinese Taipei in Taipei a typhoon broke the internet. And by the rules Australia wins, but Australian player David Mitchell really didn’t want to win like this. In the end referees decided to let the game continue from the last position (but the time reset, of course). Taipei won.

Sportsmanship.

5 Likes

Yeah at the start of the video for the Benjamin game, for the real board, it looks bright enough, but by the end it seems very dark (in the venue not just at the table) and it looks like the board is being lit by a lamp, like table lamp or something :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, pretty much a lamp, from the photos above

Oh, wait, the last one’s not from there.

4 Likes

Fernando Aguilar (Argentina, 7d) is somewhat famous. In 2002 he beat 2 strong Japanese pros in the Toyota & Denso Cup and in 2008 he placed 3rd in the WAGC. But he is over 60 years old already, so he may be past his prime.

(# = current placement on the European rating list, places 1-12 are pros or Korean pro strength amateurs)
Lukas Kraemer (Germany, 5.9d EGF #49) and Csaba Mero (Hungary, 6.0d EGF #43) may not be as strong as Benjamin Drean-Guenaizia (France, 6.3d EGF #29), Lukas Podpera (Czechia, 6.9d EGF #17) or Stanislaw Frejlak (Poland, 7.0d EGF #14), but they are still quite strong. Quite a few 6d EGF players are capable of beating a (European) pro, albeit occasionally.

I hadn’t heard of Vjacheslav Kajmin (Russia, 6.1d EGF #35) before, but I have seen his face somewhere.

I have met Lorenz Trippel (Switzerland, 0.7d EGF #997, secretary of the EGF) and Jan Ramon (Belgium, 3.5d EGF #290). I expect this to be a tough tournament for them.

I wonder why Belgium didn’t send Lucas Neirynck (Belgium, 5.9d EGF #45). Romania also has stronger amateur players than their delegate, such as Christian Pop (6.7d EGF #22), as does Spain with Oscar Vasquez (6.0d EGF #41). And somehow we sent nobody from the Netherlands, even though Rob van Zeijst (6.6d EGF #25) qualified.

I’m rooting most for Benjamin (France) and Stanislaw (Poland).

3 Likes

Second round of Russian Cup

2 Likes

So what happens for most of the day up to 6pm? I guess some games are scheduled much earlier, whether they’re online or not from the pairings but is there workshops lectures and things etc?

Here’s some info from Gavin about his game

Edit the linked video and the others they’re uploading are interesting. It shows games from Stanislaw, Lukas, Ilya etc. I know they pop up as pairings, but is that just an overlay thing or is there another tournament also on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Some real boards being shown here for round 2

It was showing Lucas and Benjamin and swapped to Alessandro pace and Viacheslav Kaymin.

Benjamin’s game again

Edit:

Ilya commentary today

1 Like

Games are on god forsaken kgs

Oh, these are also on panda

3 Likes

Other tournaments and probably bars, basketball and other activities.

2 Likes

I slept through the games, I only know Kay won.

https://vk.com/wall-436_17861

But this photo surely has some unusual camera settings.

1 Like

The FFG page has such corporate art… with those god-awful small-headed soft-lined figures and objects, and the bright playschool colours.

Once you recognise that style, you see it everywhere.

Looking at the footage it does seem like there’s stuff to do there apart from playing go. One might even say, why play go when there’s so much other stuff.

Although I’m not sure how close these places are to the playing halls.

Also, see, no covid.

2 Likes

Here’s a video about the selection process of the Russian representative for the championship. The subtitles are borky, he says he’ll fix them up soon (wait, shouldn’t he be focusing on playing go?). But I just went ahead and slapped together a more or less clean transcript. I love behind the scenes intrigues. Do note that I don’t have a degree in translation.

Hello everyone, this is Starrise TV.

In this video, we’re going to talk about about the Go World Championships in Vladivostok.

Basically, you don’t have to watch it, you can just listen to it, because I don’t think anything interesting is going to happen in the frame.

Well, we can start.

Russian Go Federation received the right to host the World Cup in Vladivostok in 2017.

As many of you know, each country can be represented by only one participant, so in 2019 the RGF had to decide, which system would be used to select the RGF representative.

It was decided that top 4 amateurs in Russian Championship 2019 will make up the team of candidates. Later they’ll participate in a qualifying tournament and the winner will represent Russia at the World Cup.

The winner of that championship was Alexander Dinerstein, but he’s a professional, so the team of candidates included Anton Chernykh, Dmitry Surin, Stepan Popov and myself. In that order.

Each of the participants received a grant of 100 thousands rubles to prepare for the World Cup. With that money we could get lessons, participate in tournaments and… do other things?

Just as we were on our way to one of those tournaments, to Grenoble for the Ellie Cup, the situation with the coronavirus escalated, which made it more difficult to host World Cup.

Later, when Anton and I were in Croatia for the European U20 championship, from which we barely made it back before the borders were closed, it became clear that holding World Cup in Vladivostok in 2020 is not gonna happen.

(part by Natalia Kovaleva who does a lot of organizing for RGF)

It was clear that it’s impossible to hold the World Cup at the designated time, unfortunately. And the first idea was to move the World Cup to September. At the time it seemed the pandemic won’t last so long, that just can’t happen. Literally two-three weeks later it was clear September is probably not going to work either. We came up with an idea to try and convince International Federation to allow us to postpone the Cup for a year. It wasn’t mainstream at the time, the Olympics in Tokyo weren’t postponed yet, European Football Championship wasn’t postponed either. We came up with it first by ourselves, before them. We asked International Federation but they were thinking and not responding for so long, because the next World Cup was already scheduled for Korea. But, big thanks to our Korean friends and federation, they understood how important was the World Cup in Russia and how much was already invested in it, and agreed. Until the last moment we doubted whether it’s possible to implement it. We really didn’t want under any circumstances to hold the event fully online. In total we managed to get through 20 people, 37 more play online. Again, we came up from the group up this hybrid format. And it all happened

After the cancellation of the World Championships in '20, the RGF centralized the training of candidates with the coaches of the Russian national team. They were Alexey Lazarev and Ilya Shikshin.

However, Anton and I did not find the training sessions with Alexey useful, we wanted to drop them, and the RGF allowed us to do that.

Later, before the Russian Championship 2020, we needed to decide what to do with the candidates’ team.

There were 3 options: to leave it the same, make up a new one following the results of the 2020 championship, or somehow combine both variants, increasing the team of candidates up to necessary number of persons. The second variant was chosen and based on the results of the championship a new team was formed.

That championship was again won by a professional, Ilya Shikshin, and the third place was taken by Alexander Dinerstein. The other places in the top six were taken by me, Anton Chernykh, Dmitry Surin and Igor Nemliy.

The classes resumed, and Anton and I again wanted to drop the lessons by Alexey, but he said that he was responsible for our results and for our preparation for the World Championship, and asked us to follow all his instructions, so he did not allow us to drop the lessons.

Anton didn’t want to put up with it, after which Lazarev said “okay, then you’re no longer in the team of candidates” and invited the substitute (who took 7th place in the championship) Igor Burnaevsky.

So we continued in this lineup until a couple of months later the RGF found out about Alexey’s decision.

It turned out that he had not informed them of his decision. And of course RGF didn’t want to cut Anton from the team just over this considering that he’s the strongest amateur in the country.

But it was also too late to kick Igor Burnaevsky out, so the team expanded to five candidates.

At the same time with this story RGF organized several training tournaments for the candidates with invited players of the Russian junior team, strong foreign players, and… and Vasily Chernyshev. He doesn’t belong to either of those group, does he?

Alex Muromtsev was invited to training tournaments more often than anyone else, so when it came to forming the final roster of the candidates’ tournament, the RGF decided to add him as well.

Now, the actual candidates’ tournament.

It was held on 8-10 May in Moscow and everyone already knows its results.

I after two defeats on the first day of the tournament, took the second place, and I do not want to explain why it happened, because that would seem like an excuse, and I do not want to make excuses.

The first place deservedly went to Anton, so he got the right to represent Russia at the World Cup at this point already 2021.

Me and Igor Burnaevsky were the 1st and 2nd substitute, respectively.

Anton came to Vladivostok a few days before the tournament to get used to the time zone, to get some table tennis lessons, and all in all he was fine until the day before the tournament, and a few hours before it opened he fell ill.

According to the information I have, quote, “something with the stomach, I think.”

At the time of the recording he is in the hospital, at the time of your viewing he will already be in Moscow, his health is not in danger.

He’ll be fine, just… Just a little bit later.

After that RGF held an urgent meeting, after which I, as the first substitute, was offered to replace Anton and represent the Russian Go Federation at the World Cup, remember, we’re not allowed to play under Russian flag.

Preempting the questions, I’ll say I’m probably happy to play in the World Cup, but on the other hand I’m upset that it happened that way, I didn’t deserve this right, I simply got it, and I’m even more upset for Anton, probably the most unlucky go player in the Russian history.

Good luck to everyone.

8 Likes

I hope the sick person is fine, I can’t imagine his frustration after all this story to not actually play.

Note: The

is ridiculous, imho.
Host countries get way more leeway traditionally for much more important transgressions.

2 Likes