Would people here be in interested in pro go news focused website?

reddit.com/r/proweiqi is great but it’s a pain not being able to embedded kifus directly

so the presentation is very limited and not aimed at go

6 Likes

I follow r/proweiqi but I only glance through the kifus occasionally. If there was more digestible content like full articles, highlights, or reviews, I would definitely be interested wherever it was hosted.

3 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

Browsed thru it. Not interested. Thanks for the opportunity though.

2 Likes

Yes.
There are few ways to get pro go world news in english so i am pretty sure that would interest not only me.

Now quality of the content, regularity of publication, and more, need to be consistent and in my own opinion it’s a pharaonic project to handle. Good luck with that!

Another thing is the “neutrality”. Most news come from national websites promoting their own champions and an external point of view, covering more and integrating all would be great.

2 Likes

Doubt we can support a full time reporter like that. Mostly it’s just a fun project simillar to Reddit proweiqi with some bells and whistles. Can’t make money from this so yeah

3 Likes

Since I’ve been a beginner for maybe 40 years, I’d be more interested in beginner topics. How can I get excited over the Honinbo when I can barely win over 11k players?

I love what you’re doing on r/proweiqi. You’re the same one who’s making all those podcasts, too, right? I think an English-language website for it would be absolutely awesome. You’re already on top of regularly curating content, so having a hub to centralize it all makes a lot of sense as a next step, in my opinion.

I really liked the short highlights idea you mentioned in Discord earlier this month, too. Did you end up going anywhere with that? Sorry I’ve just been lurking and not contributing to the conversation, it’s just normally I catch up on conversations days after they happen and it would feel too late to say anything then :grimacing:

Might be able to eventually make ad revenue! Probably not very much though :sweat_smile:

I think following pro Go is a lot more like following pro sports. People seem to enjoy following their favorite sports teams, even people who don’t know a whole lot about the sport itself. And most of those people, even those knowledgeable about the sport, are likely far weaker than 11 kyu in their respective games :smile:

3 Likes

Yeah! I didn’t wait to be sdk to love reading go world, which was the main resource to get japanese go news and follow my favorite pros.

1 Like

I go thru the game and try to remember some comments. No te to make productionised videos

1 Like

I registered an URL so maybe just need to put some time into writing some code to generate posts

1 Like

I have never posted on r/proweiqi. You must be confusing me with someone else. Lots of people are named David.

The only part of my comment that was directed at you was this bit:

The rest was directed at Xiaodai

2 Likes

This is a good observation, but this also means that it is a good idea to include a “wiki on pro Go” in case such a site is created so that people can learn which pros exist and who are they. At this moment, if I tried to get into it, it would be like someone coming along and telling me “hey you! pick your favorite team from the Irish football league”.
I like football, but I have no knowledge of that league in order to know, care and keep being informed about it. So @xiaodaiboy it would be a good idea to have some resources on what/who/where when it comes to pro players, so that more people can get acclimated and stay and read more things :slight_smile:

Sensei library has various section on that.

Gogameguru used to have a player profile.

With a website it’s easier to create dedicated content. But will be slow.

The key feature i want is interactive kifu.

Will see if I can do facial recognition of players and directly link to their profiless. This is not possible iwth Reddit

1 Like

Seems you have some nice plans so i encourage you to try and will surely keep an eye on it.

1 Like