Would there be interest in a coach pupil league?

A tournament series that’s happened a few times in the past with the starcraft 1 community has been this coach pupil league. Coaches are assigned as captains to various teams giving guidance to the players who are newer to the game. The teams then face off against each other in a tournament bracket. Coaches offer play by play commentary, games are recorded, and uploaded to youtube. It was a pretty cool idea that I was excited about but alas my tendons just don’t allow me to practice mouse intensive computer games anymore. That said I love go and I think it would be really cool to see something like that done here for the go community.

Just gauging interest really. Cheers!

2 Likes

Sounds interesting. Could you elaborate for me what the coaches actually do? :smiley: like do they give pre-game peptalk and tips, or would they even give suggestions during the game?

there was maybe a slightly similar idea in another topic, where two players play an equal game and a stronger coach meanwhile comments on the moves (without the two hearing/seeing it) maybe even answers questions of other observers… I would be quite interested in seeing/helping organize something like that. Maybe the two ideas could be connected. Or maybe not :smiley: just an idea.

3 Likes

Well the coaches are there to evaluate the specific skill and habits of the pupil players under their wing. They do their best to adapt a teaching to each individual to help them grow. Since they’re playing other newer players they can also teach you how to exploit beginner mistakes. In game coaching isn’t allowed though. You have a date that both teams agree upon playing at so your coaches prepare the pupils in the meantime. After the games they will go over the matches and identify what they can do better.

Basically if you enjoy teaching I think you’d love the coach role. I know I would (if I was any good at the game haha)

3 Likes

This actually sounds amazing. could you imagine having 5 coaches each with three pupils… each team would play a single elimination round, one after another, best two of three. leaving the three best teams i believe, and from there the three coaches too.

Could make a whole series of it… lasting a few months, and have it as a live twitch stream thing. Perhaps even a prize is enough watchers contribute online or something. would be interesting.

Even without it being that complicated and it being a two team thing with only two coaches that would still be a lot of good games to have commentary one. id totally be up for watching this. Id coach as well but im likely no where near the rank you are looking for for a coach. Im only 8kyu OGS

1 Like

Heh I think it depends on how much interest there is. I for one could totally benefit from your 8kyu advice as I’m a mere 16k who mostly plays on small boards : /

But yeah I think I’ll make another post sometime soon to try and gauge us some numbers. perhaps a straw poll and we can judge based on that. I should try posting on reddit too. Then we can begin to flesh out the details hopefully.

2 Likes

I’d be in this, both as student, and coach for junior DDK if required.

1 Like