Wow, I'm not a site supporter anymore

I was a site supporter since late 2015 but I see that my payment subscription from PayPal timed out. I think I put it an end date in two years time and the time came up. I never got or noticed anything from PayPal that this expired. Also in the UI here at online-go I see that I’m still a supporter and to cancel I need to go to PayPal.

As it is has expired in PayPal I cannot actually cancel it from there either as it is inactive. So I’m in a weird state.

I did start a new donation subscription using a credit card this time.

Any chance of getting some reminders whenever a supporter stops supporting as when PayPal subscription expires?

Also, would be nice if I wouldn’t see the PayPal active subscription on online-go as it is not active actually.

3 Likes

I got an email from PayPal saying that online-go.com had canceled my subscription, and then I had to go to PayPal and restart my subscription.

Anyone else have the same problem?

1 Like

Yikes, thanks for letting me know!

4 Likes

Apparently I’m once again not donating for membership.
PayPal says it is because online-go.com revoked the payments.

Does anyone know why this keeps happening now and again?

1 Like

I don’t know why, but I know that @anoek will want to know.

3 Likes

I’m so glad that somebody pinged this thread, otherwise I wouldn’t have logged into PayPal. Again it seems I don’t have a donation running anymore either. I don’t remember receiving an email about it either. I’ll go re-enable it but I hope something can be technically implemented so that I wouldn’t come as a surprise 6 months after the fact.

Clarification. The OGS website is showing that I’m a Paypal supported but Paypal doesn’t show a single OGS transaction for a the 6 months. Luckily I do have a CC donation going. I’ll double check later if this is actually working!

2 Likes

I’m also still listed as a supporter, even though I’m not paying. I tried to cancel my subscription, but it says it has to be done via PayPal.
When I go to PayPal to check it says I have to re-enable my subscription via online-go.com.
Catch 22?!

I mean, I really want to support, but these issues aren’t making it easy. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for letting me know @toomasr and @barsegott! I’m looking into it to see what’s going on

4 Likes

Here’s a brief update:
PayPal managed to deduct my donation for this month, but the recurring donations are still listed as inactive, so I guess we’ll see what happens when the next donation is supposed to go through.

I think I might have had my credit card closed for online purchases, so that is probably the reason why it didn’t work.

1 Like

Here is my update. In PayPal, under Preapproved Payments I have Online-Go.com, Inc. under Inactive. Under OGS I see You are currently supporting us with $10.00 per month from your paypal account, thanks!. When I click Cancel I’m told to go to PayPal to cancel. I’m unable to cancel the Inactive payment under PayPal.

I checked that everything is fine with my CC donations and they are working as expected!

I would be happy with any kind of notification when my donations expire. Also if I could remove the non existent PayPal subscription from being listed on OGS when actually it doesn’t exist anymore. Less confusion.

3 Likes

I second that…

My payments defaulted a bit ago because the card connected to my PayPal expired. My “site supporter” indicator went away as I’d expect, but today I decided to resubscribe at a higher tier and was surprised to see this part of the site still says I’m a supporter:

I assume this is a bug? Not a particularly harmful one, since it’s not like I’m still getting the ai review benefits, but weird nevertheless. Sorry to necro this thread, but it seemed it might be related :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

Okay, hitting “cancel support” fixed that, but I ran into a new problem -

when redirected to the Stripe checkout page (I want to resubscribe with a credit card, not paypal), the email address OGS seems to pass to Stripe is an old email no longer associated with my OGS account. I checked settings and realized I’d never actually verified my new email address, so I went ahead and did that, but it still seems to be using my old address.

Is this something that will update eventually on its own if I subscribe now? Or will I perpetually receive emails from Stripe in my old email address? @anoek

3 Likes

That’s interesting, we don’t “remember” the old one so stripe must be remembering that from some time ago. I think during the checkout process it’ll let you change that, but regardless I can change it manually if nothing else, so feel free to sign up and let me know if you need me to manually change it.

Sorry about that, I’ll review that and see if there’s something I should be doing on my end to update Stripe. It seems often that folks will use one email for here and another email for stripe, so I don’t want to force them to be the same, but it seems the correct thing to do to at least update the default when you’re signing up like you’re trying to do.

4 Likes

That’s weird, because I thought I’d never used Stripe for OGS before (guess I must have back when I started supporting), and the email field is grayed-out and noneditable for me. It defaults to this old email address regardless of what device I log into OGS with, even if I’m in icognito mode.

I tried following the instructions here - Change the email address associated with a Stripe account : Stripe: Help & Support but I’m assuming this is for companies using Stripe, not consumers, since I’m unable to even login to Stripe using that old email address.

I went ahead and signed up, so if there’s any way you’d be able to update that Stripe email address, I’d be very grateful :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Interesting, I’ll dig around a bit and see if I can make that modifiable, hopefully it’s just a setting somewhere.

In the meantime, I’ve updated your email address with stripe so you should be all set :slight_smile: And thanks for the support!

3 Likes