WSC Discussion

@Clossius When you say “only games played in March”, do you mean must start AND end in March? Or only end in March? Also, are correspondence games allowed? (If so, only way to win is to start stacking them now)

5 Likes

NGL Live WDC would be dope :grinning:

1 Like

I encourage live games, however to be inclusive of those with day jobs I am including correspondence games that finish in March.

5 Likes

That doesn’t seem right. First, it favors people with lots of corr games that are about to end. Second, it disadvantages those who prefer live, as it’s harder to play many single-session games (especially in the dan section) than it is to play lots of “fast” correspondence games (corr offers just sit there, whereas live offers disappear as soon as you actually want to use the site instead of waiting for Godot, so you have to cancel).

Then again you never claimed it had to be a fair challenge, so I guess there’s that.

6 Likes

I assume if we include correspondence it should at least require the game to begin and end in March?

Otherwise it feels a bit unnatural to include games which were partially played outside of the challenge.

6 Likes

That’s my worry. I mean, if to win I have to stack a thousand games BEFORE march, finish them all on day 1 and then play live games to just get that extra push, I feel like cheating and I don’t see how it’ll encourage other players to join the event. Instead of promoting the server, it’ll make it look worse than it is

4 Likes

I seem to be missing something in your argument. I don’t quite see how you can finish 1,000 corr games in 1 day without breaking the rules of someone resigning too early.

1 Like

It seems several people have issues with correspondence, but many people can’t play live games even if they want to. The idea is to encourage everyone to play more games than normal and try to reach 100 games. The prize money is only an extra challenge for those that want to go above and beyond playing more games.

5 Likes

You just stop playing when the game’s over. And wait (using vacation time if needed) until March 1st then resign. Or you can even do it on March 10 if you want. You just sit on that thousand games that are over and then resign them all on day 1 (or you can even sprinkle them throughout the month). Of course, there are other ways, this is only an example

I have no issues with correspondence, I just feel like it should be the ones starting AND ending in March that count (to avoid scenarios as previously mentioned)

3 Likes

I can see it, if you have enough time you just have to wait to play the last moves/accept the score or resign in lost games. Maybe not 1000, but 100 yes.

4 Likes

Resigning a bunch of games like this is against the rules for this reason.

2 Likes

But, the games ARE over. It’s not an early resignation. You ARE 60+ points behind. You can also stall just not accepting the counting until first of March. Same result (and there are other ways too)

2 Likes

If someone is malicious like this then that would also defy the spirit of the challenge rule and they wouldn’t qualify for the prizes. You would have to be very sneaky about this, but at that point you have given 1,000 games to other players so I don’t see anything wrong with that.

3 Likes

To have to finish, but to not have to start those games in March… defeats the stated purpose of playing more games than [you] usually would, considering people would already be playing those games (assuming they weren’t already trying to game that leniency).

6 Likes

I guess it makes sense if he’s trying to make OGS a correspondence server. Cause then correspondence games are a massive bonus if two players play as many live games, the person who was already playing on OGS before the challenge has an absurd advantage

2 Likes

Yes this is my concern too.

I don’t think we should nitpick the rules too much for a fun event, but it seems weird to count games which would have been mostly played outside of the challenge and just happen to end on March 2.

Then again, I’m not gonna win anything so whatever. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

I’d make a crack for it if you can win using pure live games. Last time the streams were really popular and fun to do. Hence why I’m picky on the rules (no point doing this to myself if there’s no chance in the world to win)

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even post if he hadn’t promised “cash” prizes, which inevitably incentivize people to cheat give themselves a head start.

4 Likes

Also it’s not always on one player if the corr game can end in a month, unless it’s 15 days absolute time. And opponent can go on vacation or something. Etc.

People looking for holes will find holes.

Too bad not more people are excited for a “play Go all March event yay :tada:” but I guess all that nice talk of “we love this beautiful game for its simplicity and perfect information yada yada” goes out the window over technicalities for a chance to win 25$.

OK, you do you, but y’all please don’t pretend in other threads that it’s anything more than winning for the sake of winning.

12 Likes

Thank you @Gia :slight_smile:
This is a really nice event to have, even if it isn’t perfect in someones opinion

1 Like