You ever wonder, who sandbagers are?

Here is a good example of a clown who is about 4k but plays with a 15k account so he can always win. Losing a game will probably make him cry into a pillow and maybe even torture little kittens or something - for revenge. :slight_smile:

Sandbagers a special type of losers, who have to beat up 10+ stones weaker players to “feel good”.

Meet a little sandbager: henrychen556.

10:52] henrychen556 [15kT]: LOOL
[10:52] henrychen556 [15kT]: u think im 15k?
[10:52] henrychen556 [15kT]: im actually 4k
[10:52] henrychen556 [15kT]: on a 15k acct
[10:52] myAccount [17k?]: so you are a sandbagger
[10:52] henrychen556 [15kT]: but i was 4k along time ago
[10:52] myAccount [17k?]: you $*!% up hard then
[10:52] henrychen556 [15kT]: srry but
[10:52] henrychen556 [15kT]: u didnt stand a chance this game
[10:53] myAccount [17k?]: get a life :)
[10:53] henrychen556 [15kT]: maybe when u break the 5ks

He probably even had a tiny erection after that. Briefly.

1 Like

Report him as a sandbagger and get him a bigger erection when he loses his account, and follow it up by tracking every henrychen and reporting those accounts too if it’s the same guy. :slight_smile:

two kids playing go

1 Like

:pill: … and tell us how you really feel…

1 Like

I don’t think it really matters in the Long run.

Look where you messed up, learn from it and move on.
The Sandbagger (if it’s a sandbagger) is just wasting his time.
Sandbagging won’t help his game at all.

8 Likes

Sandbaggers annoy me. However, I rarely encounter one on OGS. You should report him and next time you meet another sandbagger like him, move on and keep your cool because if you think about it, it’s only just one game and it isn’t worth losing your temper (and language) over sandbaggers like them :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s not even one game if you simply resign.

Not resigning a game with an idiot (for example someone who passes and restarts repeatedly for half an hour) is like not giving up a group of junk stones for a bigger gain. Except that the gain is your lifetime.

3 Likes

I agree with @Wulfenia, resigning seems to be the easiest way to stay sane :smiley:

And then I’d still report that player since that sandbagger didn’t just try to “hurt” you but actually is destructive to the whole community of honest players by disrupting the ranking system.

Does OGS straight up ban sandbaggers?

winning must be very important to you

1 Like

as @trohde wrote:
sandbagger is destructive to the whole community of honest players by disrupting the ranking system.

The vast majority of sandbaggers here are either beginners who don’t understand the rating system but might be 18k instead of 25k, or users who have come over from other servers and don’t know which rank to choose to fit in on OGS. These ones we just adjust to a rank close (hopefully) to their real rating and add some provisional games so they won’t affect the ratings of those around them until they get settled.

In the case of deliberate sandbaggers, we warn, then ban.

1 Like

[quote=“crodgers, post:13, topic:9806, full:true”]
The vast majority of sandbaggers here are either beginners who don’t understand the rating system but might be 18k instead of 25k, or users who have come over from other servers and don’t know which rank to choose to fit in on OGS. [/quote]

Sure about that? If you believe this chart: http://senseis.xmp.net/?RankWorldwideComparison

OGS 21k is lower or same as other servers so this kinda odd explanation.

Lets say a 18k from KGS shows up, she/he will be back in 20+ range in no time.

Lets say Tygem 21 k shows up, he will be in 18k range. This is just few stones no matter how you look at it.

In stronger ranks, differences are just few stones if any.

Sandbagers operate in completely different range. More like 5-10 or even more stones stronger than rating.

Take a look at users with huge rank level swings. Going from DDK to low SDK or eve D and then back. Those are your sandbagrs and I bet you got plenty of them lurking around here.

That chart is outdated. It should be be used as a basis from which to draw conclusions.

1 Like

If you know this for a fact, then why are you not updating it?

It’s not our chart. It’s never been official. A user (ootakamoku iirc) did an analysis and posted it shortly after Nova.gs became online-go.com. Not only was our active user base not large enough for our rating system to be descriptive, but we can’t verify the methods used for the analysis.

*shrug*

Rank comparison’s between servers aren’t especially useful anyway. It’s never really concerned us.

2 Likes

Unfortunately, I encounter more sandbaggers on OGS than any other Go server. Mostly from China. (I guess they are kids who think it’s fun to have an easy game.)

Unfortunately, this distorts EVERYBODY’S rating. I think many people have a lower rating on OGS compared to other servers.

OGS is still my favorite server to play on,
but many people are unintentionally sandbagging and distorting the rating system. I hope it all evens out eventually. But if most people are rated lower than their actual rank it will take some time.

1 Like

Not a thing. Sandbagging implies intentionality.

I feel like if you just play enough games, the real ones will outweigh the games against players of uncertain rank.

I think that it’s important to differentiate between sandbaggers and new players (<100 games) of unsettled rank.

Even if you are an honest person, if you are rated lower than your actual rank and play at that lower rank I call that sandbagging.

Even for new players? It is quite common for someone new to the game to start at 25 or 24k but anyone with any natural inclination towards strategic games and who devotes even a mediocre amount of time to study will quickly climb and play at a higher skill than their rating can keep up with. Eventually that will level off as they catch up to their latent potential, but do you really see a problem with them playing their way up that curve instead of guessing what rank might be appropriate?