You know you are a Go addict when …

My first thought would be “not on my goban!”
Urgent moves first, then big ones! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

I didn’t know where to put it, this is probably the right place
immagine

You know you are a go addict when your brain thinks “that stone should be approached” and your finger clicks it before realising that it was not a hoshi ( Tournament Game: Bots vs Humans 202205131700 (89219) R:1 (🐬Sofiam🐬 vs 彥andrew) )

(I don’t remember this ever happening before)

6 Likes
OT

You reminded me of an old song from my childhood :rofl: though I guess to you it’s probably still a new song :wink:

https://youtu.be/82XqhHYwB-Q

2 Likes

Which one are you in that tournament? :grin:

2 Likes

:woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

Let’s say you want to draw something. OK. But the position you just analyzed does not give you peace. And then you come to a compromise.

1 Like

ykyaagaw someone says “Time to go.” and you genuinely misunderstand! Yes I did. :rofl:

11 Likes

Tried to generate something for (Famous person's imaginary quotes on go) with j1-Jumbo text bot, got this instead:

William S. Burroughs: When you’re trapped in Go you are trapped forever.
George Orwell: Seeing China sometimes I think, how could man ever invent a game so cruel?
Martin Luther: The king in hell plays Go all day long.
Song Zu’an: Every move is a leap in the dark.
Anonymous: The greatest joy was when I thought I was the worst player.
Ichiriki Ryoichi: “God gave Go the so beautiful shape that from one look is provoking us to play it. But he thought, why do I need so many bad players? Therefore, God gave Go so complex that it drives away everyone except the best.”
Shuko: “It’s dull, this game, isn’t it? Why don’t you play another?”
Anonymous: “In Go, everyone pretends to know what is going on; no one really knows what is going on.”
“In a game like this, you can afford to spend a whole night on a single move.”
Wei Qi: The most unbelievable fact of Go is that it is much easier to learn Go than it is to explain it.
Anonymous: “The moves of Go are beautiful but the game of Go is ugly.”
Sesshu Toyo: “One evening, a thousand drunks entered a Go room, set up piles of stones, and began playing. No one taught, no one corrected, no one gave any opinion. But they played for five hours. When dawn came they were still playing. Then, suddenly, without any warning, they began to beat each other to death with their Go bowls. They ran out of go bowls, so they played Go with cups of tea, and they strangled each other with strips of cloth. And then — unexplainably — the game stopped. On the following day one of the corpses woke up, brushed the dirt off his clothes, and began playing Go again.”
“The Path to Go is tortuous, tortuous, tortuous.”
Anonymous: “The more we study Go, the more we find things we do not understand.”
Igo Hatsuyoron: “There is no Go that does not have evil.”
Anonymous: “Go shows us the wisdom of the foolish and the power of the weak.”
Anonymous: “Go expresses the limitations of man’s intelligence and his creativity.”
“In Go there exists the greatest game puzzle ever created, but no man can solve it. In this sense, Go is both heaven and hell.”
Anonymous: “Go shows us a world in which we are forever trapped.”
Yashiro Umezawa: “Go teaches us the uselessness of books, the uselessness of study, and the uselessness of thought.”
“I play Go because I cannot see the way to live unless I know Go.”
“What really makes us mad about Go? It’s that we are forced to be spectators of Go, and in the end there’s nothing left to do but shout and curse.”
Anonymous: “If I were not so lazy, I’d give up Go and go away.”
Anonymous: “Go is not a sport. It’s too violent.”
Anonymous: “The man who plays Go best is more foolish than the man who knows nothing about Go.”
Anonymous: “Go is madness, the only sane thing is in not playing Go. Once, when I was young, I played Go for a thousand years without growing tired. Then I became mad, but I thought I was cured.”
Anonymous: “I don’t know how to speak of Go, or how to write about it, or talk about it, or even think about Go without growing tired. Every time I talk about Go, I stop talking and feel tired, as if I had talked too much.”
Anonymous: “For thousands of years, humans have tried to find ways of expressing the unspeakable. Go is the first that has succeeded.”
William Dodd: “The game of Go is a smaller and less important game than mathematics.”
Anonymous: “Go is so simple that it is boring, yet so deep that you can spend your whole life exploring its secrets.”
Anonymous: “I am not very good, but Go is so interesting that I cannot stop playing it.”
Anonymous: “I dislike Go because I feel as if I’m drowning when I’m playing it.”
Anonymous: “As I play Go, every day is a failure, every tournament is a defeat.”
Anonymous: “Go is boredom, despair, and uncertainty.”
Anonymous: “It’s me – a fool playing Go. A little, little fool.”
Anonymous: “Go is the cruelest game of them all.”
Anonymous: “So I play Go ’til someday I reach the point where I can’t play at all. Only then can I stop playing Go.”
Anonymous: “When Go is good, it’s very, very good. When Go is bad, it’s horrid. I never know. So I play each move as if I were playing it in a nightmare.”
Anonymous: “I’ve been playing Go for ten years. When I look back upon the past ten years, I find that I’ve spent most of my time playing with Go.”
Anonymous: “When I first played Go I was as excited as a child going to Disneyland. Now, with twenty years of experience, I still enjoy Go, but frankly I no longer feel that first excitement.”
Anonymous: “Go is a cruel game. Not because an opponent plays badly, or unjustly, but because it’s very difficult to play well, and the result is so frustrating that you either play badly or get into bad habits in order to try to survive. But if you do go on playing badly, you get worse instead of better, and your life with Go turns out to be one long unhappy effort to survive.”
Anonymous: “In the beginning there’s a thrill – you get the feeling there is something wonderful just ahead. After three years of playing, that thrill disappears – and you get a feeling of permanent anxiety.”
Anonymous: “I hate Go. I hate its randomness, its cruelty, its perpetual torment of mistakes and missed opportunities.”
Anonymous: “Until finally I realized that Go is like a prison. And once you’re inside, the game plays you. You are its servant. You are its slave. It is your master, and you are its slave.”
Anonymous: “I began playing Go when I was ten. Now I am fifty. In all that time I have learned nothing.

11 Likes

There are some gems in there!

7 Likes

When you’re doing an healthy walk in the morning and your fitness app out of nowhere says (in English): “three kilometers, 34 minutes and blah blah blah” and you instinctively think “$#1t, I’m in byoyomi!!!”

Happened right now

9 Likes

When you glance at this in YT and you first thought is that that’s a goban.

7 Likes

I see the confusion here. but i still consider it as a quite interesting move by itself :wink:

2 Likes

ykyaagaw the sound stopped working on your laptop weeks ago and you only just realised because you assumed it was just a temporary OGS sound bug.

Unfortunately, it’s not. :cry: Attempting to diagnose now but such things are not my strong suit.

11 Likes

You know you are a Go addict when you contemplate this feeling like a suicidal who wants to jump out of the window:

6 Likes

Hi. Do you want to talk about this?

7 Likes

I really appreciate you asking, but it would be difficult to do so without talking about some people you might know and I would prefer to avoid that. I have reacted badly to some things and have really considered deleting my account or less severe self-punitive measures.
I think and hope it’s resolved now, so please don’t worry :slight_smile: And thank you.

10 Likes

Things changed in here?! No. Still addicted. Some friends on Facebook posted a guide about Go(lf).

1 Like

…when you see that image and think:
looks like something that DALL·E could draw for “weiqi in the shape of …” :slight_smile:

actually its from “Sekai Saikou no Ansatsusha, Isekai Kizoku ni Tensei suru”

4 Likes

When doing taxes feels like being in the last byo-yomi.

2 Likes

…when you generate 50 Space Go images, but can’t remove any of them
https://forums.online-go.com/t/i-used-an-ai-to-make-paintings-using-only-the-terms-baduk-and-weiqi-thoughts/39530/127

… and when you generate 6 more of them after that
40 43

44 45

46 47

6 Likes