1 Mistake COST me the Game

Everything was going well, The game was well under my control BUT
1 Bad Move
1 Wrong Decision
1 Concentration Lapse
Ruined Everything…

Instead of Bad Move(link below) If i played somewhere else like J3, probably my team would have won.

Go is Beautiful. This failure taught me a big life-lesson: “Never Ever take any decision lightly

Wanted some feedback. Thank You

Game = Utkarsh+Aditya vs Mehtab game1

Bad Move = https://online-go.com/api/v1/games/49323505/apng/49323505-62-64-2000.png?from=62&to=64&frame_delay=2000

1 Like

Why fill your own territory in the end??

1 Like

inorder to stretch the game a lil longer…just a little hope that enemy would fill one of his eyes accidentally & i would kill his group. its stupid i know

2 Likes

Since you seem to be interested in the “tradition” aspect of Go, you should probably learn about Go etiquette. And one of the most important aspects of Go etiquette, I believe, is to respect your opponent’s time and their intelligence: it’s generally considered rude to make plays that rely on your opponent making a bad mistake to work. Since beginners obviously don’t have the ability to judge what’s a mistake, my personal rule is that

if you are making moves consciously trying to manipulate your opponent into making a mistake that you know is a mistake and would never make, then you’re being rude to your opponent.

There might be an exception for teaching games, of course, but if your only objective is winning, I think this is a good guideline.

By the way, I think that the specific thing you were doing might even be considered stalling, which is actually considered a bannable offense here on OGS, because it’s usually done in the hopes that the opponent will either make a mistake or get annoyed enough to resign. So, you know, better stop it before it becomes a habit.

In this case it was a Rengo game, so the “trying to stretch the game a bit longer” is understandable, though. Just be careful to always be respectful to your opponent.

To learn more, Bad Habits at Sensei's Library is probably a good place to start.

7 Likes

On OGS, repeatedly infilling your territory for no reason (including what you have described) is more than bad etiquette. It is against site rules. It is a form of stalling (preventing your opponent from moving on to the next game). This is often done by cheats who hope that the opponent will leave the game in disgust, thereby obtaining a fraudulent win. Such wins when reported are annulled by the moderators. If the violator is a beginner, the person is instructed on what is expected, and if the person is experienced on OGS, they are warned.

4 Likes

Im Sorry. I thought this was called Never Give Up attitude. Ill take care from now on

5 Likes

It wasnt intentional. Im sorry. Ill take care from now on

5 Likes

That is clearly not what is happening there. Those are clearly moves made by a beginner, not by a cheater.

There is no “bad etiquette” in the game that was played, just bad moves from a tactical point of view.

It’s easy to judge these moves as “bad” when we have so much more experience, and comparing a beginner to a cheater just because he makes bad moves is bullying. Talk about bad etiquette.

This thread was started by a player asking for help and a review of his game. Perhaps we can focus on that now, rather than talk about cheaters.

4 Likes

actually, with Chinese rules (area scoring), which were used in this game, they are arguably good moves. They don’t lose any points, so after the territories are closed up, they are at worst a waste of time if the opponent doesn’t make mistakes, and actually a gain if the opponent does.

Also, I might have to agree with Conrad Melville inevitably telling you that you’re misinterpreting what he said here.

2 Likes

I didn’t say it was or that he was. I made a clear distinction between the actions of beginners and the actions of cheats. My purpose was to clarify a statement that left the impression that stalling was merely a matter of etiquette, which it is not.

Why are you trolling me by misrepresenting what I say.

2 Likes

I agree.
That rabbit’s reply was a bit arsenic.

3 Likes

calm down! it was just a little misinterpretation.

2 Likes

Try to understand why Black’s moves 49, 51, 53, 55 are useless (Black could have passed instead).

1 Like

was trying to gain 1-2 eyes as my group had less than 2 eyes & it was getting surrounded. im confused in false vs true eye, so i wanted to make sure that i actually create a true eye & i know if its inside a group its an eye for sure.

It’s true that you apparently didn’t have 2 eyes yet, but the three stones C3 were dead. There is no way White can save them (try by yourself, explore variations and convince yourself that this is true). So you can imagine that the three stones are captured so that you have two eyes.

In other words, White can’t prevent you from making two eyes, so don’t waste moves making eyes until White really threatens to kill.

If that’s too abstract, I’d suggest to practice a few elementary tsumegos.

3 Likes

ill definitely follow all ur advices. thanks for the feedback - it really helps to improve.

I’m pretty sure most go players have lost games like that. I myself have done so yesterday: Share your blunders

4 Likes

Ok. So take my advice if it doesn’t hurt you: stupidity will hinder your progress.
Don’t count on the mistakes of your opponent, better admire and feel how good some of his moves are.

You already feel that go is complex, difficult. Take the bright way to enlighten your understanding. If your opponent wins that’s fair, if you that’s fair too. What counts is if you get a bit more understanding and answers to your questions.

Another thing is about the title. 1 mistake? I see a lot of doubtful moves from both players. Take the AI analysis with pincer. Ok globally you had some consistency anyway. Good game!

1 Like

I actually think OP @Revolutionizer99 would do themself a favor by switching to Japanese or Korean or AGA rules. Anything that uses territory scoring and directly punishes playing inside stones, really.

That way, it might help you become more aware of which moves are inefficient. It also discourages these kind of “stalling” moves, since it would only hurt your own score.

Even though it may not be immediately obvious to most beginners, there is not much of a difference between rulesets. With Chinese rules, any stone recklessly played inside your own territory (or inside enemy territory) will often be a point that you don’t gain in neutral space later, or a lost sente, or something equally damning. The final score will also be almost the same (±1 point, with rare exceptions).

Paraphrasing what @Conrad_Melville already said, trying to cheat out a win by exploiting some kind of loophole is not allowed on OGS. It is better to unlearn any such habits sooner rather than later.

1 Like

That’s right but aimed at more advanced players as beginners in my view.
I prefer less explaination and need to understand and instead more focus on a simple goal in a game of go for them. More freedom to explore and not be annoyed by that what do we do with prisoners.
Japanese rules is de facto more refined in some way (make the economy to count the stones) but this refinement is not required at all in the first steps, when you will miss an atari ot try to ramp on the first line for i dunno what or maybe already trying to complete your boundary and be sure to be solid enough. As long as the beginner doesn’t have the silly question to ask you why do we keep the prisoners and put them back at the end too which just will go on some obscure explaination too. Fact is that they accept that rule about prisoners without questionning that much, but still get often confused on why the hell you are warned to not play inside as they may end losing points. This when they still are simply searching a way to capture your stones and miss the fact they put themself in atari…

1 Like