2021 Rating and rank adjustments

Am SDK and I feel the new ranking went slightly too far. Before the rank changes OGS was definitely the most harsh server for SDK/DDK. Now on other go servers (KGS/IGS) I m 2-3 stones weaker than my current OGS ranking and EGF wise 2 stones weaker as well.

Also played against a few high SDK and they really felt like beginners. In general I d prefer my rank to be slightly more conservative than reality (but not as harsh as it used to be). It’s a nice feeling to know that you can trust your online rank before registering into a IRL tournament.

(IGS at the moment feels to me the closest to my real rank which is 2stones weaker than OGS now)

6 Likes

I think it will happen in a couple of weeks rather than months.
But I don’t think this update should affect your decision much, also see my responses below.

To a large degree, the update will only fix the EGF rating deflation that caused an increasing gap between declared ranks and EGF ratings. For example, the average Dutch 10k had a rating of 10.5k EGF +/- 1.5k. After the update, the average Dutch 10k rating will become 10.0k EGF +/- 1.5k.

I get the impression that (compared to EGF ranks) OGS ranks changed from tougher to softer. So perhaps you could register with a rank somewhere in the middle, say 8k?

5 Likes

Thanks for the elaborate reply! I think I will aim for 8 or 9 kyu then for the tournament. Greetings from Zuid Limburg :wink:

4 Likes

Greetings from Midden West Brabant and good luck in the tournament!

4 Likes

There are 500,000 games per month being played here? I had no idea it was at that scale.

3 Likes

graph of games/week from 2014 to end of 2020
https://forums.online-go.com/t/happy-new-year-2021-ogs-scroll-ogs-statistics/32775

6 Likes

Really interesting to see the increased number of games with the start of the lock-downs.
As I suspected, I’m not the only one. :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

When I took part in the rating qualification for children, I never played handicap and they were enough children for that (more as 100 in the 3d group) But that was in Chengdu, maybe the situation was different in another province?

1 Like

Taiwan amateur Go community has a different system, customs, even rules used for granting dan diploma. There are special dan qualification, advancing tournaments, and there are open tournaments. Results from both of them can be used to advance.

Monthly qualification, advancing ones normally have fewer players to join since they usually don’t provide awards with prize money, and handicaps mixed ranks would be needed for the swiss round-robin.

1 Like

A yes sorry I forgot you were talking about Taiwanese system. Here it’s every 3 months. And looks like with more children (mostly) involved.
Besides it’s true that it’s rare to see games with more as three stones handicap too, I mean in everyday’s life

2 Likes

Is this out of date now?

The numbers don’t look like they match the profile ratings anymore.

2 Likes

Darn the business about the sliding window will need to be taken out of the doco too…

3 Likes

Yes, this changed. I do not have the new URL at hand.

2 Likes

So, I figured since the sliding window is effectively gone, I should try to figure out what the new ratings period structure is. I take it window_width in the hub corresponds to a ratings period of 1 week? I’d ask when it starts and ends but I probably don’t do anything with that information :stuck_out_tongue: . Just wanted to know what the volatility corresponded to (since that raises RD every period)

Well, I have pass bit more than 1 month off, and when I back I notice my rank is two levels up… I know most people must to like of that adjustements, but what makes OGS special (inversally same reason why I hate Fox) for me is the difficult about rank, something like: you can be a dan outiside here and to think on that as great thing, but try it here :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

The new ratings history endpoint is https://online-go.com/termination-api/player/1/v5-rating-history

4 Likes

Agree, would much prefer to be playing on the hardest server.

2 Likes

It can be great to say you’re playing on the hardest server or have X rank on there, but it’s not much use if you can’t find a game. Supposedly this is what was happening with the dan ranks, they didn’t want to try it here – couldn’t find a game because others didn’t want to try find a game – hence there were not many dans playing live games, except maybe against bots. (it’s still a bit like that depending on the time of day :slight_smile:)

4 Likes

My impression is that after the rating update, I have to wait a lot longer for someone to accept my open challenge.

Maybe it’s a psychological effect that players are less inclined to play an OGS 2d/3d, than an OGS 1k/1d (even though the change was just the result from the rating adjustment)?

5 Likes

Definitely have noticed a psychological effect personally. Playing a handicap games against 7ks when I used to be 9k is super intimidating!

3 Likes