2021 Rating and rank adjustments

I’ve been looking around for this more and have a little more of an idea of what is going on. I posted some details on the GitHub issue, but basically it seems like we’re supposed to be using the “Old Japanese Recommendation” for 9x9 but with only one choice of komi for each number of handicap stones.

In reality, the handicaps are being assigned as if the rank differences were significantly higher than they are.

Have 19x19 handicaps been working correctly since the update? (How are they calculated?)

2 Likes

Perhaps. That Japanese recommendation looks very similar (almost identical) to AGA 9x9 handicap (4 ranks per stone).

1 Like

I’m looking at some auto handicap 19x19 games that just started:

I don’t understand these numbers, except maybe the last one. Isn’t it supposed to be 1 stone per rank difference?

5 Likes

Maybe the bug you found on 9x9 auto handicap applies to all bard sizes (i.e. using the old rank conversion formula for handicap calculations)?

2 Likes

I also had the impression that annullment is not working, though I went looking and now can’t see that written anywhere. Is this the case?

1 Like

That’s been fixed :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yay! :tada:

1 Like

Made provisional rank histogram to see where we are. Around 2 months of players. If I made it right.

14 Likes

There are accounts rated (at least provisionally/unofficially) in the >50kyu range? What are they?

Some hypotheses:

• Random play bots that nearly always lose
  • Cheaters that got banned and had all of their wins annulled, leaving behind only losses
  • Trolls that aim to lose all of their games

Do any sincere players exist at that range?

7 Likes
5 Likes

I’m surprised that one can get down that low after only 4 games!

Although now that I think about it, using the ln function for the conversion probably might make for a long left tail.

1 Like

One thing that they all have in common

That negative win must really be dragging them down!

10 Likes

are they able to have ranked games after that?

Yeah. AFAIK they are 25k for all intents and purposes.

:tent: :dolphin:

1 Like

You’d have to check and see, as I’m sure there aren’t many 40k’s wandering the forums.

But my understanding is that the 25k rule is in place exactly because of this: 25k+ ranks are too noisy for the handicap system to work.

Edit: comment I was replying to was deleted. The question was if this is cosmetic only and if there are outstanding bugs.

2 Likes

Except maybe they can’t join tournaments? I tried inviting a 28k to mine and it didn’t work:

2 Likes

9kyu now = 20+kyu in 2016 ???

1 Like

I think there may be some inaccuracies in how the rating adjustments over the years have been propagated backwards through time.

Take a look at the rating graph on my profile page. The rating system seems to think that I peaked at 2 kyu in January 2015. However, back then, the system believed that I was around 10 kyu (looking at the ranks saved by the chat in some game records from back then).

2 Likes

Man, fuck you for making me look at this lol.

2 Likes

There might be some merit to that idea, as that was pre-glicko in general, so we were still choosing our initial ratings, and then very often playing ppl with similar ratings. As such our ratings (depending on how often we played) when recalc’d might not have been pushed down enough by play to reach a similar place after recalculation from the common 1500 starting point.

But also this may just be rationalizing a phenomenon that shouldn’t happen as the populations of ppl at different (initial) ranks should mix somewhat continuously :man_shrugging:

1 Like