2021 Rating and rank adjustments

The profile is very funny though.

I kind of expected something similar to that. If in the old system someone starts at like 25kyu and played other 25kyus then eventually got better, playing people roughly equally matched along the way, does the new system put those new players at like 11kyu (was it?) and then because the new players are playing other new players on the old system (assume they’re 11kyu in the new calculation) doesn’t the rating just settle at around that point and likely go up from there?

Then only players that were dropping a good bit below 25kyu in the old system, I would imagine would also drop down to lower ranks in the recalculated new system?

Not necessarily, as if you started as 25k in the old system, even if you only played other 25ks, some of those would be playing 24ks who played 23ks who played 22ks, etc until some number of degrees of separation would cover the entire rating population. Both systems should theoretically converge at the same point (relative to the population as a whole) if A) you played enough games (whatever this means) and B) there was sufficient play in the general population between ranks

1 Like

Ingame chat has issues after last rating system change. I can’t imagine the reason, I thought the chat was just plain text written down, but it isn’t and ranks are strange now.

1 Like

I don’t think the ratings in the chat have been thrown off in every game though.

I have an old game where there’s a comment about how the players are 18kyu and they appear as 18kyu in chat.

I think there was a change in formatting in the API of the games at some stages over the years, so maybe it’s pulling the chat ranks from somewhere different in old games vs newer ones? (compare early 2017 to 2019 say)

1 Like

Tho, they did join somehow, didn’t they.

They commented on the tournament chat page, but their name is absent in the list of registered players. (you don’t need to be a tournament participant to use chat)

edit: just found their name… for some reason it is yellow in chat but blue in participant list for me… weird

2 Likes

I think someone forgot a ! somewhere >.< When I de-select “Golden supporter name” it makes me gold in group chat, and when I select it, I am black! Edit: actually it seems there’s just a lag before that setting is respected in the system. I thought it was opposites because I kept switching back and forth.

The other possible “bug” is that information about showing supporter status is persisted in the chat. If someone wanted to hide their status, wouldn’t they want it to be hidden for past chat actions?

2 Likes

Chat doesn’t back propagate, even for name changes, let alone supporter status.

3 Likes

I see that :slight_smile: Well anyway I think that’s your answer then!

1 Like

Yeah I somehow didn’t even think of that as something a user may toggle rather than setting once and leaving but yeah you’re probably right :slightly_smiling_face: thanks

1 Like

I have a question, if you used to be 4k in the previous system, what sort of rank would you be now?

2 Likes

Around 2k would be my guess.

2 Likes

Yes, my rank jumped from 5k to 3k with the ranking change.

There are many arguments involved, but if you accept a superficial answer look at post 420 above.
Look for points with x = 26 (4k), then look at their y.
Looks like we had both situations: someone became dan, someone else nearly DDK.

3 Likes

What’s the status on fixing the residual rating bugs after this change?

The symptom of “rating goes down after a win” seems to mean we still can’t be too confident of how it’s all working?

1 Like

Well, just realize with this adjustment, I was a 1d. :grinning:

In the real word, rank once earned can not be taken away, so can I say I am a 1D now?

You can say it, but do you feel you are 1d?

3 Likes

I played against two RL-friends today who aren’t very active on the Ogs, and both went “wow, you have made progress, you’re 5k now!” and I’m like :sweat_smile: yeah, about that…

5 Likes

No, when I watch pro games, I feel I am at least 8p

5 Likes

Same :smiley: “Why would he go for unnecessary complications like that?!”

3 Likes