2021 Rating and rank adjustments

nice write-up and looking forward to the new system

3 Likes

HOLY COW is this like, real?

Mom Iā€™m becoming a dan player!

Donā€™t know if I should be happy or sad, becoming OGS dan has been a long time dream of mine :cry:

It has a lot of weight to humbly say like

ā€œOh Iā€™m only 1d
ā€¦ on OGSā€

11 Likes

Iā€™m a little concerned about DDK ranks. From what Iā€™m looking at a friend of mine at 18kyu before would become 9k. From what anoek said the change in rating will only be minimal so Iā€™m assuming heā€™d at least be like 10k?

Itā€™s a pretty huge leapā€¦

idk I donā€™t really think itā€™s ā€œlogicalā€ to see sdk who have never touched tsumego before. (basically "plz donā€™t turn OGS into Fox)

6 Likes

From the distribution, looks like the majority would be bunched in the middle around 10k?

1 Like

Thanks it always feel that ranks were changing really fast on OGS. Also what I feel is unfair is letā€™s say you are 4K and you play play higher ranks like 1d. If you lose even by 5 points and you feel you did great your rank will go down quite fast and you end up 7k in no time. On the other hand if you play easy games against 8k players and win, your rank will keep going up and you end up 2k.

5 Likes

We should have some kind of acknowledgement or celebration of all the players that are about to be promoted to dan for the first time. What may have seemed like a far off goal and something to strive for is about to be thrust upon them. On the one hand, itā€™s an achievement, but on the other, it might feel like they have actually been robbed of the chance to put in more effort and striving. Right? Some kind of celebration can make it notable if itā€™s otherwise somehow deflating.

Iā€™m 5 kyu now, and Iā€™m actually rather hoping that Iā€™m not promoted to dan by this rating adjustment. I want to strive to win against dans and get promoted with a victory, not a tweak to a math formula. I think Iā€™m safe, but there are a lot of people at 2k-4k who might feel like I do.

8 Likes

Very cool write up and stats.

it must be so much fun to work on such data sets and modifying the calculation of so many users.

keep up the good work, OGS is the best

Hats off on the full disclosure

anyone seen similar post from other servers?

4 Likes

From my calculation youā€™ll be 1k but very close to 1d so, yeah, congratulations :smiley:

4 Likes

Okay, thanks, that sounds great! :grin:

(edit: It should be ā€œcongrakyulationsā€)

5 Likes

How are people checking their projected ranks?

3 Likes

With this:

I updated gotstats with the new formula as well so itā€™ll be ready for tomorrowā€™s change: Got Stats?

8 Likes

Iā€™ve never been 2k before!

On the rank system before last, I was 4k or 5k and once briefly 3k, and on the current one Iā€™m wallowing all the way down at 8k and not having an easy time of it either.

As comparison, my current EGF rank is 5k, which is what I go by on GoKibitz.

3 Likes

If Iā€™ve understood you might not yet be 2k anyway. Your ranking will change before itā€™s applied to the formula. So best to wait a little longer to know the official result I think.

6 Likes

Please be aware, GotStats will not be a perfect predictor due to

7 Likes

Ah .__.

Oh well, I made a low-effort cat meme so by Jove Iā€™m gonna post it anyway

30 Likes

this is the best uWu

18 Likes

Report Amybot for sandbagging!

11 Likes

Nice, to see that the forever 25kyu will be eliminated. I was already really frustrated by not having any progress at all, while Iā€™m learning and understanding more of the game.

I guess the confusing ELOupdate from the ELOtest Bot will not be showing the OGS Rank anymore?
e.g. ELOtest[?]: ELO update: 57 (+55), rank 13.4kyo , or OGS 21.6kyo

2 Likes

I made a quick plot of Elo per rank for the new rating to rank formula:

Red curve is from the new OGS conversion formula
Blue curve is from the new EGF conversion formula (to be implemented soon)

Horizontal axis is the OGS rank (0 = 30k, 30 = 1d, 42 = 13d = new max rank in EGD)
Vertical axis is the Elo width per rank.

In the range of 30k - 5k, it is quite a close match (30-70 Elo per rank).
So the new OGS formula will make OGS kyu ranks as soft/tough as EGF kyu ranks and I expect that OGS kyu ranks will align much better with EGF kyu ranks. Definitely good news!

In the high dan range, the EGF formula gets tougher than the OGS formula.

So over time, EGF mids dans may get high dan ranks on OGS.
It may turn out that OGS high dans will be comparable with high dans on asian servers.
But Iā€™m not saying that this is a bad thing. In the past, EGF 6 dans could be 9d on KGS and I didnā€™t hear much complaints about that back then :wink:.

Many thanks @anoek!

9 Likes

IMO there was too much ā€œdanflationā€ on the rank system before last (if we consider the imminent update as the ā€œcurrent systemā€).

For instance, I remember krnzmb was awarded ā€œ12dā€ when the update first rolled out. The stated goal of OGS dan ranks being, usually, somewhere between the EGF and AGA ranks seems to be a good idea for a server with a largely Western playerbase.

4 Likes