2021 Rating and rank adjustments

vim for the win! I’ve been using it so long that I can’t think about what I’m doing or else I get confused and it all falls apart.

Is the site’s code open source? I wouldn’t mind contributing some on GitHub if I see any bugs I think I can handle.

7 Likes

I believe 0 is 30k, so you’d be a 7.666 Dan (since 0 isn’t a rank)

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the source is here (I haven’t explored it yet):

2 Likes

@flovo is an absolute hero!!!
Thanks for all that you do @anoek

6 Likes

Yep, although note that your rating will change too so this isn’t necessarily where you’ll be exactly

2 Likes

I went back to the beginning with this revision to make sure a log fit still seemed to make the most sense, and to do this I setup an interpolator optimizer to spread ranks apart until we started seeing some fairly consistent win rates accross a few handicap stones accross the ranks, this got me some data points that looked like it was basically a log fit. From that starting point I computed something like 20,000 different combinations of feasible parameters and then sorted them in various ways, mostly around how well they aligned with our org ratings and how consistent the win rates were

11 Likes

Yeah that is true. If you have your ID in there though it’ll help with future updates as well, in a more automated fashion. But yeah, the covid years isn’t the best time for this. Still, we work with what we have, and since AGA ranks for everyone are basically on pause, at least everyone is on pause together so we can still have a useful mapping - albeit perhaps that will jump a bit when AGA rated games start pouring in again.

8 Likes

The front end is, GitHub - online-go/online-go.com: Source code for the Online-Go.com web interface

8 Likes

Are the rating changes solely due to bug fix? Or are ratings systematically shifted down to balance for the new conversion.

2 Likes

However our SDK and DDK, and high dan ranks, diverge a bit more from both organizations. Generally speaking you will have a higher rank on OGS than either organization in the low SDK and DDK ranks.

Just to be clear, does this mean that after the adjustment scheduled tomorrow and before the dust settle down, people at about low SDK and DDK ranks will see themselves on a higher rank on OGS than on AGA and EGF, averagely? Like, maybe 10kyu on OGS while 12kyu on EGF?

4 Likes

Yep correct

4 Likes

Ratings will change because of the bug fix and also because the rating to rank conversion formula changed, which affects how much opponents ratings are adjusted in handicap games, thus affecting your own rating progression. That being said, the shift isn’t that dramatic in ratings usually.

4 Likes

Thanks!

2 Likes

Appreciated your clear explanation! Waiting to see it gets implemented <3

3 Likes

Hmm, I have a rating of 1525 and am 12k at the moment. With that formula, it says I’ll have a rank of 24.68. Does that mean I’m moving to 6k?

1 Like

Your rating will change too, but you should expect to be SDK yes

4 Likes

I’m glad they are changing that, since it is pretty frustrating beating a weaker player and losing a rank because of it.

4 Likes

This sounds like an extensive and well researched update. Plus, it has been communicated well. So thank you to the OGS team for all the hard work in that respect. I’m excited to see how the new system works out. Now, let’s play Go!

14 Likes

Note that only players who reached dan before the update can claim to have True OGS Dan rank (and Ultra Rare OGS Dan for pre-Glicko dans).

17 Likes

And one might want to to have some screenshots or chat logs to back it up, since it’s being retroactively applied :slight_smile:

4 Likes