2021 thoughts (since nobody made one)

“[E]xtremely significant”? Oh yes, it solved that controversial scholarly argument over the exact ingredients of 1942 nut cakes. In a comedy movie, a bystander would sneak a slice to eat, or the cake would get mixed up with someone’s wedding cake. What I want to know is how they going to preserve it.

6 Likes
cookie

Later, after Peterman discovers that Elaine was the culprit that ate his cake and switched it out for an Entenmann’s:

Do you know what happens to a butter-based frosting after six decades in a poorly ventilated English basement? Well, I have a feeling that what you are about to go through is punishment enough.

5 Likes

We are laughing, but the person who sneakily ditched the lettuce salad for a piece of yummy nutcake and thought nobody knew about it is now busted.
Somewhere, an elderly dietician is frowning ominously over a newspaper article… :fearful:

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

I mean, plants can do it…

But then, plants are pretty alien

5 Likes

It is still sci-fi to capture co2 on a large scale. To put it into perspective:

There were 34.700.000.000 (!) metric tons of carbon emissions globally in 2020. In Iceland alone there are over 150.000 passenger cars in use.

The use of that plant is possible too because they have acces to (basically free) geothermal energy, which is not widely available. Atm it just ain’t possible to get rid of our emissions on a large scale (other than by planting trees, which is fairly limited too).

¯_ȌᴥȌ_/¯

1 Like

Humanity was able to create so many tools that produce CO2 because these tools are easy to create. When creating tools that consume CO2 will be as easy as creating tools that produce it , it will be possible to make a law, where you are allowed to create something that produces CO2 only if you also build tool that consumes same amount. Then emission=consume, so 0 emission.

No – not because these tools are easy to create, but because we were gifted an enormous amount of stored energy in form of coal, gas, and oil. That is the crucial point. These resources were created over millions of years, while effectively storing CO2, and now we’ve burned a lot of them within less than two centuries. That did not only happen because of human creativity, but because it was just there.
I don’t see any quick solution coming for doing the opposite.

4 Likes

And burned much-much less before that. Because there weren’t a lot of tools which need it. Humanity created lot of tools that use it, therefore it can create same amount of tools that consume it if technology cheap enough will be invented.

It’s not so easy. There are rules in nature. Different amounts of energy are needed to heat and to cool. It’s possible to burn but impossible to unburn a substance. Water erodes surfaces, surfaces fill water with residue. Metals get rusty, rust can’t become metal unless it goes back to step one and recreates the element.
It’s easy to talk about great inventions that might happen, but it will take a great deal more technological know-how than we possess now, even at the experimental state. It’s not just a question of cost and benefit. I think we need a new breakthrough like what happened with internal combustion engines in the 1800s or the computer chips in the 1900s.

3 Likes

Murdaugh murder hot shot lawyer Murdaugh in suicide hit miss?

4 Likes

Wow! Some 40 years I wrote a science fiction story about professional “suiciders” who could legally murder people who contracted for their service. Almost sold it to a famous editor who had mentored me for several years. He didn’t buy it because he had just bought another story about suicide and didn’t want two in the same issue. Now, that story is as outdated as a story about landing on the moon.

6 Likes

I’ve ruined my algorithm reading about number plates it seems but quite a bit of stuff on this banned list feels quite 2021:

3 Likes

“Twice a year, the public body tasks its best and brightest with finding every combination of the newly released format that shouldn’t see the light of day.”

I feel a special kind of compassion for those people whose work is basically “dive in the deepest pits of internet hell to see what’s new”.

6 Likes

No depths unplumbed in 2021. The title says it all really…

3 Likes
3 Likes

I mean… Science… But also… Ew.

We have the stars we deserve.

Also #teamamber (basically "teamnoone, but if I have to choose)

1 Like