2021 thoughts (since nobody made one)

I don’t know about the natural gas price, as I don’t use it. I use propane at my house, and the price today is less than a year ago, though I expect that will change.

This is genius:

The Kunsten Museum of Art in Aalborg, Denmark paid artist Jens Haaning in advance to re-create two older sculptures. Instead, he kept the money without labor and called it conceptual art.

"I encourage other people who have just as miserable working conditions as me to do the same. If they are sitting on some (expletive) job and not getting money and are actually being asked to give money to go to work, then take the box and (run) off.”

6 Likes
4 Likes

Someone already changed OSM for La Palma to its current state, it seems:

But checking here as well, I think it would be appropriate to not only have a symbol for lava fields, but also for burned forest.

2 Likes
5 Likes
5 Likes

Glad that I use Mastodon, DIaspora, and Signal. :wink: :grin:

3 Likes

He drank, spent some time in good company and found himself.

Not bad.

4 Likes

Police drone tested in Singapore.

4 Likes

The eruption of that volcano on La Palma is not going to stop soon, as it seems.
I just discovered that there is a quite impressive live stream:

(What I find impressive is not only the volcano, but especially all the information that is given, like number of destroyed houses, estimated volume of lava, tons of SO2 emitted per day, etc. :open_mouth: )

5 Likes
2 Likes
4 Likes
2 Likes

“As you may have seen in the news today, Trump’s media team has set up their own social network “Truth Social”.
What they aren’t admitting is it’s actually just a Mastodon instance with all the Mastodon branding removed, including all of the messages acknowledging that it is FOSS, as required by the software’s free open source licence. This is breaking the terms of the licence, and is essentially stealing the software from the volunteer community which made it.
This kind of behaviour cannot be accepted by anyone who believes in FOSS. Keeping to the requirements of a FOSS licence is fundamental to building software together. If powerful people get away with stealing FOSS, people may be reluctant to build FOSS in the first place.
Hopefully someone will take legal action, but in the meantime we can block these instances in case they try to federate:”

3 Likes

Apparently, we’ve run out of letters and have moved on to the nightmare code

3 Likes

I don’t know how much of a known fact that is, but we used them for counting some time ago.

I’ve never been a fan of any generational names. First, they pigeon-hole people into obnoxious stereotypes. Second, the definitions vary. Baby Boomers, children born to returning veterans of WW II and the Korean War (an actual demographic phenomenon), were originally cut off in the late 1950s. Third the conceptualization of some categories is highly disputable.

The Greatest Generation cut-off in 1927 dishonors a number of high schoolers born in 1928 (maybe even 1929) who not only suffered in the Depression but dropped out and experienced action in the closing months of WW II. My father (1928) told the story of one Christmas in the mid-30s when his Christmas present was 2 oranges. He was turned down for service in early 45 due to bad eyesight (they actually did not need new recruits at this point), but joined the Army Signal Service as a civilian and worked on Japanese codes that summer. After the surrender, he was accepted into the Army (now they needed recruits due to the loss of discharged veterans) and served in the occupation of Japan. Consequently, he qualified as a veteran of WW II (the legal cut-off was in fall of 1946) and received the Victory Medal (Pacific campaign) and the Japan Occupation Medal. Lots of others probably have similar histories.

4 Likes

There’s an enduring conspiracy theory here about children born in April 1983. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

What’s the theory?

1 Like

The short version: they are children conceived by a secret team of surviving ancient demigods and heroes.

I think it’s a tentacle of the Indigo children conspiracy, fitted for local consumption.

3 Likes