2022: HOLD MY TEA! 🍵

Well, you know, the rest of Russia that’s further right than Moscow.

It’s not just a wasteland out there contrary to popular belief. Like, Uralvagonzavod is in Nizhny Tagil. Lots of other factories, training facilities, what else.

4 Likes

Sure. Even population-wise, it looks like a clear majority of the population of the Russian Federation lives more than 500 km away from the Ukrainian border:

That the Kevin Bacon factor of those two is Elon Musk out of all things :unamused:

1 Like

Setting up city infrastructure as a dual-purpose exercise equipment. Keeping people healthy. Intelligent planning.

3 Likes
1 Like

Advancing the civilisation, one xenophobic law at a time.

3 Likes

was it in this topic or another one? I do not remember, but I told you that “cash is king” even nowadays. Do you remember those “Skip” detergent advertisements that go “45 makers of laundry machines, suggest you buy Skip. They know better.”

Well, in the same fashion “45 launderers of money suggest you take cash. They know better.” :sweat_smile:

Source:

2 Likes

NewsIT: Εύα Καϊλή: Υπεράσπιση «εμπόρου ναρκωτικών» από τον Μιχάλη Δημητρακόπουλο.

Greek journalism at its finest.

It is another case where an advertisement slogan “this is what I am used to, this is what I am trusting” (“αυτό ξέρω, αυτό εμπιστεύομαι”) sets the tone.
Dimitrakopoulos is used to defending drug cases, so his defense line is just a variation of that. It would be funny if he slips and claims that “my client never swallowed any money and tried to smuggle them through customs” or something like that :stuck_out_tongue:

This is why they should have brought some corruption cases to court, just for the practice, eh? We never do corruption trials in Greece, so the lawyers here are out of shape.

But all is not lost because people on twitter found a good defense line for Kaili and who REALLY brought her all this money. It was these dudes:

It might sound funny, but if the trial takes place in Greece, that might stand as a serious argument in our courts. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure whether it’s practical.
Anti-corruption trials cost us a lot of witnesses.

We do corruption cases from time to time but they aren’t really done for the sake of fairness or justice.

Meanwhile, down under news that makes me wonder about 2022…

4 Likes

There are still a couple of matches to go, so maybe they are counting their chickens a bit early.

6 Likes

We think we got problems, when Henry Cavill over here ditched fan favorite Witcher for the DC check and DC fired him right after.

1 Like

That’s a curious report.

I haven’t figured it out yet but my takeaway is that everyone is a bot.

1 Like

Seems like everyone is gearing up for war, eh. Some military footage:

From my side it doesn’t look like everyone is gearing up for war.
I suppose that a significant part of increased military spending worldwide is from countries that supply Ukraine with weapons to defend its civilian infrastructure and support its attempts to reverse the Russian occupation of part of its territory.
Those weapon supplying countries need to replenish their shrinking military stockpiles.
In the Netherlands, I don’t hear about plans to resume conscription or anything like that. But I suppose our governement still needs to replace those howitzers we sent to Ukriane (and whatever else they sent and intend to send, drones, perhaps Patriots?).

1 Like

That picture of votes doesn’t quite match the map in the Reddit post (from 1 year ago). Are they from the same vote?

Edit: I looked up some background on this. Apparently this resolution has been put up for voting by Russia since 2012. The Reddit map is from last year, the picture is from this year.

EU explanation for its vote this year:

While they voted against the text proposed by Russia, the EU-27 were keen to recall that the “joint fight against contemporary forms of all extremist and totalitarian ideologies, including neo-Nazism, must be a joint priority for the whole international community.”

Canada and the United States (the only country to have consistently voted against these resolutions for the past 10 years) justified their opposition to this draft resolution, believing that it aimed to “legitimize a discourse based on disinformation.”

According to the press release published on the UN website, Ukraine called this text hypocritical believing that, contrary to its title, it was a pretext used by Russia to justify its brutal war against its country and the despicable crimes committed against humanity.

[Why France and 51 other countries voted against UN resolution condemning Nazism]

1 Like

This is 100% correct. Sending materiel is a great way for countries to justify spending more on their own military, and is an easy way to persuade the populace that they’re doing something good.

The main problem is that most countries (like Canada for instance) don’t bother replenishing military equipment with modern stuff. We Are currently using stuff from the '80s, then sent a bunch of that '80s stuff over, and aren’t getting anything new. Further to that, the stuff we sent requires so much maintenance, training, and personnel to employ, that we might have made things worse overall for Ukraine in that department.

Canada did send some heaters and blankets though…

2 Likes