2022: HOLD MY TEA! 🍵

Because women in leadership only count if men can visualize them as 10s, curvy Amazon babes. Ugh.

(disregard the Greek text, picture and English text are enough)

4 Likes

Why is EVERYTHING in Greek, except the title of the event? :rofl:

Honestly I hate all this bullshit called life.

For comparison:

Corporate art really is the same.

Which got me thinking about curvy women. Apparently female sumo isn’t popular at all.

1 Like

The corporate illustrations make sense, in a way. The higher management’s requests can only be performed by superheroes, magical beings and obscure AI-fitted tech.

Jokes aside, the imagery is very disturbing. We are back in 1970 going to 1950 and nobody beats an eyelid.

3 Likes

Well, if that’s how you view it and you want action, the imagery needs to get much much worse than being depicted as a sleek superhero:

Crunch time! (attack speed!)

In what way? Obviously over here we’re back to the future into the Soviet Union, so that goes without saying. We’re aiming for 1937 though. But what exactly you have over there?

Japanese providing some relevant videos なぜ戦争が始まると自殺は減るのか【人が自殺する理由を戦争から考えてみる】 - YouTube Too bad I don’t understand anything there.

I need to find a religion that says that when you die, your soul goes to this person’s house and plays with the telescopes day and night :innocent:

What an absolute nerdvana :smiley:

1 Like

It has been decided to let those coal power plants run at full capacity again to generate electricity (it looks like Germany is doing the same). By doing that, we’ll be able to fill our gas storage facilities for next winter. Those storage facilities will also store gas for EU countries that need those gas reserves more than we do.

This decision to go back to burning coal could delay our 2030 climate goals by 2.5 years, but our climate minister hopes to counter that setback by increased energy saving.

1 Like

Personal story, mostly because I don’t have anyone else to tell these. Did it even happen if no one heard about it?

Yesterday I defended the final work in university, and today is the army. You know, Western imperialist hydra raises its head once again. But I’m just for the usual conscription business, the same one that thousands of males are forced to go through every year. No equality over here.

What I needed is to pass medical evaluation to determine health category. It determines what types of forces you’re fit for, or if you aren’t fit at all (which is the most desired categories, of course).

First I needed to run around city hospitals for some documents. In one doctor office I saw single-choice test for monkeypox, apparently doctors are preparing to diagnose monkeypox. With single-choice tests. And I filled a document I really like, it looks like this:

bs

Look at all the stamps. It smells like bureaucracy. I gotta wonder do we really need all that. More stamps for the god of stamps.

And already after you go through evaluation in commissariat/recruitment point. My health isn’t great but there was such a strong atmosphere of disinterest there… Why should I be the one to care? Quicker I pass the better. So I told everyone that I’m good, just get off me. There were less than 10 people also running through doctors there, they took time. For me it was like “you good? - yeah - fit for service”.

Our commissariat is more or less sane, with time it gets better, I guess. But in the collective mind all these conscription procedures are all immortalized in jokes.

– Are you able to breathe?
– Yes.
– Fit for service.

Cause stereotypically unless you’re disabled, you’re likely to be deemed fit and sent to army. In some stories even obviously disabled people manage to pass evaluation. In general conscription really adopted positive thinking. It’s not about what you can’t do, it’s about what you can do. You are almost blind? Well, but you have great hearing!

Anyway, I was awarded category А2 out of А,Б,В,Г,Д. That is almost the highest, not the highest probably because I’m a fat slob. A1 is like navy seals material or whatever. And I guess I’m good enough for regular seals.

And like this we have paper world where I’m great and real world. It’s so common it’s annoying. All the time, on paper it’s one thing, in reality it’s another.

Maybe I’ll regret this approach when they’ll draft me in the first waves to storm NATO bases but that’ll be a whole another world.

9 Likes

Do conscripts have possibilities to work in army offices? Like work for war simulation software? Or just hardware maintenance / any other job that doesn’t require to fight with weapons?

1 Like

I love your stories and I love your style. I feel certain that so many jobs would be open to you anywhere in the world. All this stuff seems prime material for your future stand up career.

5 Likes

Blatantly unhealthy people excluded, the doctors are there to really deal with the people that express their problems, not the ones that actually do have problems.

It sounds odd, but it makes a good sense from military perspective. An army does not value so much your skills (you are a conscript, you don’t need to have any), but your willingness to serve.

For example, according to the exact rules and regulations (of course there are regulations, it is the army ), I had to be assigned to category I-3 due to my eyesight being one degree below the limit for I-2.
You cannot join in the reserve officer program that I wanted to join though, if you are I-3.
So, I told the doctor that I want to join in that program (very few people do because you serve an extra 6 months) and he went “oh, really?”, so for my eye-examination he just took my glasses, looked through them and said “they seem fine to me. Off you go!” :rofl:

Alternatively, if I had wanted a lighter service I could have complained and nagged about my eyesight, point out the fact that I was a bit over-weight and make up a few “undetectable injuries and grievances” that are surefire to send you to “I-3 fit for armed service” category. If you sell it well, you can be “I-3 unift for armed service - weaponless”

You do not seem to like getting conscripted so you really missed a chance there for lighter duty.
You have another one though. The mental examination.

It is what some people want, that’s how they pass.
A very dear friend of mine had a medical file as thick as a brick and could have easily gotten an I-5 classification, which means “NO CONSCRIPTION - GO HOME!”. Most people actually pay bribes to get that and he was insisting on serving and wanting to get at least an I-2 classification. :roll_eyes:

After three times of passing through conscription evaluation he had to admit that it would be better if he just accepted the I-5. After all those years, he is still, at the same time, annoyed with himself for that, insulted that he has an I-5 and very relieved for it (I mean he wouldn’t have made it and he knows it). Some people are just too proud or too patriotic or too stubborn.

Highly unlikely. Noone sends raw recruits in the frontlines, unless there is a dire need for personnel.

Yes, but with the classification he took, this usually means that any office duty is EXTRA. :face_with_head_bandage:

So, you can have normal guard/patrol duties AND report for 6-7 hours to do office work, then return to the barracks and participate in any chores/cleaning going on there. Been there, done that.
It sounds good, but in reality it is a very bad deal.

Office work is good only if you are classified in the “not fit for active/armed duty” categories.

Such positions are hard to land, you usually need a degree, a great CV and, even worst, great connections in the army. They are considered “the best positions” and, as it is expected, a lot of people with influence want those positions for their drafted children.

@Allerleirauh For the love of whatever you have holy, do not do that.

In the eventual army interview when asked “what else are you good at, what are your hobbies, what do you like to do”, reply that you are good at nothing, like nothing, enjoy nothing … “barely talking” is your skill level.

Here is a true story:

We arrive at the training facility for the officer candidates. The previous officer candidate recruits (they graduate in one month and their final duty is to “train” us - which is a trick, but that’s beside the point) are there to receive us, before the actual captain and the real professional army personnel.

We sit in the usual army order, their group leader says some typical stuff and then, as nice as can be he asks:
— “which one of you knows how to use a chainsaw?”
Someone, who still thinks this is the boy-scouts says:
— “I do!”
— “No, you do not how to use it.”
— “But, I do know.”
— The dude goes ballistic “NO, YOU DO NOT! YOU HEAR ME??? AGAIN, AND I WANTS YOU ALL TO THINK TWICE. WHO HERE KNOWS HOW TO USE A CHAINSAW?”
— crickets
— “THAT’S WHAT I THOUGHT!” he goes calm again (the dude was very mentally unstable, it was not just part of the act) “Now, in the interview, the captain is going to ask you about your extra skills. IF you know what’s good for you, then you are all a bunch of people that can barely figure out a door handle, GOT IT? And if I learn otherwise, we will all remember that and you’ll be in a world of pain.”

Now, what had happened was this:
Two of them had made the mistake of telling the captain that they did, indeed, know how to use the chainsaw, to which the captain replied “perfect, we finally have someone that can trim the trees” … the camp was in a hill full of pines - practically a small forest - and those people spent 60 days, everyday, with the extra duty of forestry. Cutting branched, clearing trees, uprooting bushes, etc etc. After going through the program’s training myself, I can understand why someone would get extremely enraged at the prospect of having that extra duty, on top of the “regular madness”.

And the object and target for that hatred? Well, obviously the people that made the mistake of admitting of knowing something. Just don’t do it. It is a bad idea.

Jokes aside, military service and experience and commendation letters from commanding officers looks very good on a CV, especially if you apply in countries that do not have a mandatory service and most people don’t know how things really are.

1 Like

Brotherly nations. In a lot of ways what you wrote echoes what we have here.

Naturally, it’s a closed system and what’s supposed to happen often differ from what’s really going on. So I have to rely on third-hand accounts, maybe exaggerated.

There’s a lot of randomness to where conscripts end up. A Russian roulette of sorts. There’re places considered better. Like, you might do paperwork which allows you to skip physical labor during the day. And sleep during the night.

There’re recently introduced science companies where you do science which sounds very good. But you need good resume, and probably good connections. I heard a student I know from our university wanted to get into one, got everything approved but ended up serving in normal army anyway, hahahah.

When it comes to fighting with weapons, conscription army is a joke here. Conscripts are all too often young, dumb and irresponsible because all the others have better things to do and dodged the conscription. Which is why no one wants to give them real weapons. There’re a lot of reports that people served whole year and saw weapons couple of times or even never. Also no one wants to let conscripts anywhere near anything expensive. I know conscripts maintain cars, personnel carriers but nothing like a fighter jet.

And no wonder no one wants to give out weapons. When you have stories like this. Russia jails conscript for 24-1/2 years for killing 8 in shooting spree | Reuters Sergeants and officers are routinely called jackals (as in “vultures”) in stories. So, you know, there’s some great comradery in places.

Lower category doesn’t necessarily mean lighter duty, I think. I wouldn’t know but some people recommend either dodge to unfit category or if you’re going have high category to not end up serving with some hobos. But no one know the real answer, I guess.

Anyway, I’m not going so this process is entirely useless. Our conscription army is also entirely useless, I mean, they don’t even really teach people to shoot there. It’s mind-boggling, thousands of people just waste time.

Oh yeah, mental examination. Do you mean psychiatrist or mental aptitude or more like attitude tests? Psychiatrist is included in health evaluation. Dodging through nuthouse is an infamous method for those who don’t have any better option. There’re various tutorials on the internet on how to fake mental illness but not too severe.

I mean when we’ll have WW3 with full mobilization.

By the way, some people worked computers that didn’t have anything except specialized programs and MS Office. So they coded games using Excel.

5 Likes

It’s it in the army regulations ahahah. By the way, if you are to go for the marines, special forces and all those very strict/elite corps, being sent there “young and dumb” is the only way you can be trained to do exactly as you are told.

Nah, that’s their job actually. They are, by design, the “bad cop” and the captain/lieutenant is the “good cop”, so those ranks have the same reputation everywhere.

It is one of the reasons I was keen on joining the reserve officer program. 4-5 months of extra and strict training, yes, but you get out of there with the rank of “warrant officer” (one rank below 2nd lieutenant), which means that even though you are just a conscript, you actually outrank all the people that the army has assigned to act like annoying morons :wink:

The other perks are:
a) You actually get paid 70% of an officer’s salary
b) You get to leave the army camp every day instead of living in the barracks. So, you can rent your own place and practically live like you are back in the university
c) You get to learn a lot more than languishing in guard duty and wasting time scrubbing floors and maintaining rusty and dusty equipment.

Here practically anyone in the “able” categories can apply for it, but, as I said very few people do because of the extra 5 months of serving and training. If you do not want to waste your time in the army, I’d suggest you look into that. Your reserve officer system seems to be different:

But it seems worth checking out :slight_smile:

Yes, because the final answer is heavily influenced by two things that are not in your power:
a) Where they will sent you
b) Who will be the commander there.

The best base in the world can turn into “conscript hell” if the commander is a complete moron and the worst base in the world can turn into “conscript heaven” if the commander is reasonable.

There are both a test and an examination from an actual person, usually, so both.

I mean, it is true that working hard doesn’t pay off so.

Maybe I’m Chinese…

1 Like

Very informative and worth watching to the end. So, so, sad, but not surprising. This is a very predictable result of a grinding tyranny. Really liked the retort to the police threat about three generations: ‘We are the last generation.’ The usual levers may be applied—slavery, torture, and genocide. Some will comply and some won’t. We’ve seen this drama before.

I had a sudden flash while watching it. I realized that the protagonist’s motto in “Bartleby, the Scrivener,” by Herman Melville, is a prefiguration of this whole state of mind: “I would prefer not to.”

1 Like

Oh, yeah, motivational coach a lot of people need. Interesting how this type of accent and some music automatically makes it much more spiritual.

Oh, yeah, I heard this one. Does it change anything or just life moving along?

1 Like

Man, watching the symptoms of USA’s descent into Christian fascism in real time surely does not look like “life just moving along” :no_mouth:.

3 Likes

The do-nothing prophet was hilarious. He reminded me of Hoover Shoats and his religion of the Holy Church of Christ Without Christ in Flannery O’Connor’s Wise Blood. I can’t decide whether his spiel is serious or just a put-on.

To be fair, the EU is also far from uniform on such matters. Even though the EU overall strongly supports human/civil/women/lgbt/minorities rights, some EU members are not fully on board with that.
For example, it’s mostly illegal to get an abortion in Poland. Also, gay couples cannot marry in Poland.

3 Likes