2022: HOLD MY TEA! đŸ”

My son was born by a caesarean after 32 weeks pregnancy. If it had been the case that he wasn’t able to sustain his life outside the womb, I’m pretty sure that in some strict anti-abortion state, that could have lead to the prosecution of the doctors and parents involved for performing an abortion.

The alternative of not performing the caesarean would have been legal in those states, but I think both my son and my wife would have died.

9 Likes

It has been a while, but I do not know if anyone else remembers the time where a similar topic about “stem cells research” was the hot topic a couple of decades ago 
 do you remember when those people changed their minds? When a stem cell therapy was to help in the health of Ronald Reagan.

I guess it is easy to not care when things happen to other people and easy to change your mind when things happen to you?

Alas there are no other issues anymore in this world. It makes money to create polarity (it generates more clicks) so the marketing of the past decade was extremely focused on generating division (and thus, intolerance) about anything.

Of course you can. Have you heard of “relativism”?
That’s how the same people can care for human rights in one country, but not in another one.

If you dive into it you will find that mental gymnastics allow for more backflips than the actual olympic gymnastics :roll_eyes:

That’s, unfortunately, easy 
 they claim that the guns they are in favour of are strictly for the “good guys with a gun” and that banning guns will not affect the outlaws, because they break the law anyway.

This is, of course, a juvenile argument in the face of facts coming from all other countries that do not have that problem because they have reasonable gun laws, but hey, whatever makes some people look righteous and help them sleep at night, eh?

What I know is that I can go out my house, go to the local highschool (the gate will be open), cross the courtyard (noone will be scared), enter the school building (the door is open), get something to eat from the school cantina (also open to the public) and then go to the teachers’ offices ( which are also open) and let them know that they have forgotten to turn the night-lights to summer time (which is true, they light up at 6 o’clock).

I think that’s FREEDOM and that is a healthy environment to grow up, at least as far as safety is concerned.

If you listen to those “gun enthusiasts” however they think that “freedom” is for the school to have one locked door with an armed guard locked and loaded behind it, with closed windows and electric fences and mental health councilors and God knows what else, in order to deal with the mental pressure caused by the inescapable every day FEAR that they need protection and the school turned into a prison.
Now there is a school I wouldn’t want to send my kids to and you can bet your money that the legislators don’t send their kids to public schools either. If there was a law that said “you legislate, you participate” then maybe a lot of things would have been better in this world :wink:

True, but so far noone has ever been able to pull-off a “mass knifing” in my best of knowledge.

Yes, but I think that the proper response to people that say “I need an AR-15 in order to hunt animals” is “learn how to aim for GOD’s sake”

What on earth are they hunting and they need assault-rifles? Dinosaurs??

Well, they are the trend-setters of this modern world, after all. Whatever happens there, eventually trickles down to the societies of the rest of the world 
 it is the only “trickle down” effect that actually works :stuck_out_tongue:

This is a very tricky thing to respond to and for an accurate response I am afraid you’d have to watch that lawyer’s video I put earlier.

It depends on the State 
 turns out the laws and demographics are so different between them that some people can even “consider” them as different countries :wink:

Most of them still have BOUNTY HUNTERS for God’s sake 
 :stuck_out_tongue:

I never understood the people that are against this idea, by the way.
You are literally not harming anyone with that decision and it is your life, after all.

1 Like

Ireland had very strict abortion laws, but a very sad case changed that. In 2012 an Irish hospital refused to remove a miscarrying fetus (17 weeks) from the womb of 31-year old woman, because the fetus’ heart was still beating. The woman died. Courts found the hospital guilty of malpractice and it lead to abortion debates in the Irish parliament.
In 2018, a referendum brought an end to the Irish abortion ban (66.4% in favour).

Personaly, I think these difficult medical decisions should be left to he mother and her doctor(s), without them needing to fear being prosecuted.

10 Likes

Conservative religious people might disagree.

4 Likes

I understand very strict regulations for it, because there’s lots of people who basically can’t wait for people to die in order to inherit, so they could severely abuse situations.

About doctors and their advice on who gets to live:

Kind of related, I don’t know how many here know of this horrifying practice

Lots of doctors do it because a-hole husbands ask, but many doctors do it without not even a-hole husbands ask.

1 Like

I don’t really want to get involved in this discussion but I wondered about this point. It’s not really about “imposing” something is it? If someone gets pregnant in a society where abortion is legal they can also choose not to have an abortion right?

The imposition seems one sided to me.

1 Like

I agree, but I think many conservative religious people would disagree. For example, they may feel restricted in their freedom when they are “forced” to accept same-gender couples legally walking hand in hand in public, or when they are “forced” to accept that a woman can have an abortion with legal impunity.

to restrict others freedom! Right, got it!

1 Like

In Canada, you can’t do this. We have both the fear mentality of the states combined with quite restrictive gun laws. (you need to pass a lengthy background check and an exam to get a license, you can’t take a gun that you own to anywhere but the range or a gunsmith, many guns are banned, etc)

I teach grades 7-12 and many of them are afraid of school shootings even though school shootings are as rare here as they are anywhere else that’s not in the states (Greece, France, Japan, etc).

Responsible gun owners and a history of nearly zero mass shootings don’t change public opinion on the matter. I largely attribute this to the news media and politicians. I think Canada has done things mostly right. No automatic weapons and magazines are limited to 5 rounds for non bolt-action rifles. Being in the military, I can understand the fun aspect (although cleaning for hours afterwards makes me not want to shoot guns), but it’s not really justifiable for the public to have access to automatic firearms. Not to mention it’s extremely expensive for not too much “fun time” (30 round magazines at 30-50 cents a round are emptied in like 3 seconds). Hunting is traditionally done with a large caliber bolt action or shotgun. The hunters I know prefer to use bolt action even though many of them also own an ar-15 and handguns.

Also, target shooting is a very popular sport here. It’s a good justification for owning firearms. We do have to deal with bears and wildlife like gophers more than most other countries so most farms and rural places will have a gun.

I personally own some guns (SVT-40, S&W 29-4, a 1911 in 22lr and a 22lr bolt action) that I use for both collection purposes and target shooting with friends. I am not opposed to hunting, but I can’t personally do it. I can personally justify shooting humans that are trying to kill me or someone else, but not animals. (well unless those animals are trying to eat me or someone else
)

EDIT: As for the abortion thing, I suppose I’ll leave my thoughts on it. I am for abortion. I find it very strange that there were no clauses for rape or potential medical issues, which I thought would have been a “reasonable” clause. I heard roe v. wade was overruled because of “bad legal precendent in the argument” (saying it was a constitutional right when abortion isn’t mentioned in the constitution, etc). I do not know anything about laws in the USA so I have no comments on this. I have also heard that roe v. wade was overruled to “make room for a reasonable, correctly argued law”, but I have serious doubts about that.

3 Likes

Yeah, but as I said they make no sense on that issue.
Let’s say you try to kill yourself, their standpoint is that it is a sin.
Fine, but Jesus said “let he who is without sin, toss the first rock” so the Bible itself acknowledges that there is no way to live a life without ANY sin. So, what’s their problem? Final sin, you get to God for judgement, as far as they are concerned.

Now, I understand that when you promise paradise, you need to make suicide a greave sin, lest zealots get the wrong idea and think “hey screw this hard life, we are going to God and paradise” and who would the churches rule over afterwards, right? I’d accept that, if they were honest about it and said that 
 after all lying and dishonesty is also a sin, eh? :wink:

Again that would make sense if the law said “you MUST have a same-gender marriage yourself” or “you MUST have an abortion if this this and this happens”

But there is no “must” and there is no “you” on those issues. It is OTHER people that make CHOICES 
 it is odd that this type of conservatives are in favour of “small government” and “less regulations” and the “free market that makes choices”, but when they do not like the choices people make, suddenly “too much freedom is communism” :rofl:

Maybe we should just accept that all those -isms are now just “buzzwords” and be done with them?

I used to teach final grade students and I am really sorry to hear this. Being afraid to go to school? Sounds horrible to me.

I think that parents sometimes are like flocks of birds 
 one bird might be afraid and fly away, then all of them panic 
 :roll_eyes:

Similar laws exist here. No hunting rifle or shotgun can take more than three rounds before reloading. After that you are considered a “sportsman” and the process is more rigorous and strict. E.g. you have to enroll to a “shooting club” and participate in at least 4 shooting competitions a year in order to be allowed a hand-gun or a pump-action shotgun. Else, you are forced to sell your gun. Then it is storage laws and so forth.

As you can imagine only very dedicated and extremely focused and serious minded people can keep up with things like that. Most people just have a hunting rifle which is much easier to procure (you still need a licence, background check and the police actually checks the weapon you purchace for “modifications” and attach its info to your licence. If you are ever caught with non-licenced modifications, you are toast) .

I couldn’t agree more.

What is worse is they said that it is not part of the tradition and ethos of the country 
 50 years of legal precedent don’t make something part of the country’s daily life? By that kind of reasoning they should all renounce technology and any other social advancement and go and join the Amish :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The thing about patriarchy is that men are also oppressed by aspects of it. If only more men understood that.

5 Likes

We do, we are not stupid :slight_smile:

For example:
Think about the kind of society you can find in old Greek movies from 1950-1960 
 it is not even a century ago but back then, in a family that had both male and female children, the male children had to “marry off” their sisters, provide money for dowry and you couldn’t really marry unless ALL your sisters got married first, else you were shunned by society for abandoning your family and sisters.
Not to mention that you were their actual guardian and the male brothers often forced prospective suitors to marry at gunpoint (that happened a lot around the civil war - too many guns anyway). Not to mention the “provider” archetype.

There are some very funny stories from our grand-parents time here about being chased in the woods by the family of women armed with shotguns. Good luck finding farmers, woodsmen and former war guerrila warriors in the woods, but hey 
 interesting times :stuck_out_tongue:

That was the custom back then.
What’s the situation now?
Gone are all the customs. :innocent:
We, as men, now have to do nothing for our sisters.
Any woman we might have a relationship with can have a brother and we do not have to care.
Noone is pointing guns at us just for seen holding hands with a woman in public (let alone having sex)
Noone is hiding in the woods for a month after having sex.
Noone wants us to provide dowries.
We have no responsibility to lead or even have a family and being a “provider” is considered “old fashioned”.

I could go on 

I used to say a lot that “feminism is the best thing that happened to men” until I noticed that this seemed to annoy women (I do not know why - the things I mentioned about are objective facts after all), but this might explain why most of us are usually not saying anything about it. Again: We are not stupid.

1 Like

This is kind of sexist.

1 Like

Let’s be honest, some of us are. (And before someone thinks I’m claiming the opposite: yes, stupid women exist too, it’s not one of the male privileges.)

2 Likes

Overall yes, but on that particular topic I’ve never met anyone in this country that said “aaah, remember the good old times, when we had to provide dowry for our sisters and daughters and if we kissed a woman we had to marry her or else they chased us through the woods and the mountains with shotguns? Those were the times, our grandfathers had it good”

said noone ever :wink:

On more 2022 news, that seems something that we should all worry about:
https://www.reuters.com/markets/europe/german-govt-talks-with-uniper-about-support-measures-2022-06-30/

1 Like

OK, I think things have been a bit different here even at the time of my grandpatents. Must be because we don’t have mountains here in northern Germany.

3 Likes

Iron maiden had that part right :stuck_out_tongue:

Usually they “hide” abroad where the police cannot find them.
After a certain amount of years (33 years old iirc) you can “buyout” your conscription years out of the army, which is quite the pretty penny (6000 euros). Noone really goes after 30, they usually opt to buyout. That explains the 45 year limit since the army gets money instead of old recruits that way. :wink:

1 Like

Once again you’re missing the point. (predictable tbh)

Many, many, many men say “remember the good old times when women were strictly unpaid labor and didn’t talk back” without realizing that the good old times weren’t good for them either.

And, of course, you can’t see the other side, you had to pay sister’s dowry and “protect the sister’s honor” because they were objects, belonging to the men of the family and representative of their place in society, slightly above their donkeys (not always).

But of course, what did I expect, how silly of me.

Once again you are sitting on a high horse and cartwheeling on its back (predictable tbh)

However my point was very clear, you are just not reading it.
NO MAN in this country wants to go back to dowries, arranged marriages and hiding in the mountains after sex. If you doubt that, go out in the streets, ask that exact question, and find me one man that says “yeah, I’d like that”.

Do allow us to have some EXTRA thoughts apart from the rigid stereotypes you believe that we all miraculously adhere to.

So, you wished for that, I said “yeah, we do understand”, but you didn’t like that either?
Nice :smiley:

Do they really? And they have no further thoughts, eh? And you can assure us of that because you know better that men are nice and convinient caricatures without any depth, knowledge or dimensions, eh? :wink:

When you can stop talking as if everyone adheres to absolute stereotypes and carpet-bombing all of us with them, we can talk about that :slight_smile:

I’ll just give you a question to think over 
 if they were “objects”, why where the brothers HONOR-bound to care for them BEFORE they themselves get married? Hmmm, let’s see if you can think outside of your caricatures.

ÎŁÏ… Î”ÎŻÏ€Î±Ï‚.

1 Like

Sudden go stone

Grayness

5 Likes