2023 Rounds Survival

Here’s the thread for this tournament :slight_smile:

9x9 fast correspondence games, 2023 rounds.
It will start on the 1st of January 2023. 1048 registered players so far.
I set rules to avoid games that slow down the tournament too much.

Nine*Nine, NineNineNine is a similar one.

6 Likes

Life goals: don’t timeout.

5 Likes

3 Likes

Holy… This reads like a finalist story for a nomination “the shortest story about an existential dread in a Go setting.” I truly appreciate this, no kidding.

1 Like

“Through the years” has 12 rounds. I think these 2023 rounds will finish first - is my first instinct, without an intuitive sense of how much two-thousand really is.

Analysis: at 6 moves per day (slowest permissible game not counting the starting time or pause/vacation “abuse”), 12 moves per day if one player is really quick to respond, a round could be about a week long. ~50 weeks a year, 40 years?

Through the years started in the middle of 2020, at 2.5 years per round we get to 30 years.

What is going to matter most, I believe: how timeouts end up reducing the pool of players. In both cases it might be that the pool is large enough that even dropping 90% of the “insufficiently committed” could still preserve enough slow players to not let later rounds go faster…

2023 rounds means more opportunities for people to time out - plus it being much less likely that people consistently keep up with the pace.

Conclusion: I actually didn’t find much to weigh in on my estimate…

I propose two more betting questions:

• how many people will be left in “through the years” in the second or third rounds?
  • how many people will be left in “2023 rounds” by the end of 2023?
1 Like

Looks like roughly 2000 players in each tournament. (“Through the years” claims 2233 players, while “2023 rounds” currently has 1909 players registered.)

Let me add another one: will we ever reach the third / fourth / fifth / etc. round?

We just passed 2023 participants!

4 Likes

Today we reached 2300 players (2311 now).
It will probably (unless a lot of players withdraw) be the biggest tournament started so far, through the years had 2233 players.
I think I’m aiming for 2500 but finding more players is becoming more and more difficult I think.

2 Likes

We are at 2460, I think 2500 is doable. Join in if you haven’t already done so!

I have prepared 10 questions on things I am curious about, and I am also curious to read your predictions :grimacing:

1. How many days will the first round last?
  2. How many players will there be in the second round?
  3. How many players will there be in the tenth round?
  4. How many players will there be in the 100th round?
  5. Which round will it be on the 1st of January 2024?
  6. Will all rounds be played or will the tournament end because only one player remains? If it ends prematurely, how many rounds will it last?
  7. Who will win?
  8. How many years will the tournament last?
  9. Will this tournament end before through the years?
  10. When will a OGS tournament with more players than this start?

Maybe I’ll try to estimate something too, but I’ll let whoever wants to answer do it first :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Out of curiosity, I checked right now and if I didn’t get something wrong there are exactly 2500 players signed up :laughing: I was considering joining in just to make you happy about the number, but it seems I don’t need to do that :+1:

2 Likes

Uh, thank you! But you should have joined only if you were interested in participating and not for me.:roll_eyes:

I actually think that a good portion of the players are not super clear on what it about, given some of the questions that have been asked in chat :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It started with 24 minutes delay and 2574 players.
Apparently there are two players without an opponent, PaulMartineau and Sistina, and I don’t understand why.

My guesses, some of them completely at random
  1. How many days will the first round last? 19 days
  2. How many players will there be in the second round? 1480
  3. How many players will there be in the tenth round? 500
  4. How many players will there be in the 100th round? 200
  5. Which round will it be on the 1st of January 2024? 18th
  6. Will all rounds be played or will the tournament end because only one player remains? If it ends prematurely, how many rounds will it last? 1000 rounds (?)
  7. Who will win? :dolphin:Sofiam​:dolphin: (joking, but I really have no idea)
  8. How many years will the tournament last? 16
  9. Will this tournament end before through the years? Considering that there are people against unpausing paused games and that they might “win”, yes.
  10. When will a OGS tournament with more players than this start? I may try something similar again next year. If not, I don’t know.
6 Likes
  1. 12 days
  2. 1800
  3. 200
  4. 37
  5. 42nd
  6. All rounds will be played
  7. Not me!
  8. 7 years 5 months 1 day 14 hours
  9. Yes, by a long long way
  10. I’m sure @_Sofiam will come up with something else next year :wink:
2 Likes

I’ll also add a prediction of 7 players left when it finishes

1 Like

Hello,
I can’t find my second partie. Can you tell me what i have to do ?

1 Like

The second round will start as soon as everyone finishes the first

3 Likes

Have you finished your first game already?
The next round will start when everyone else has also finished so you’ll be in for a wait.

Some people have not yet made their first move.

3 Likes
My Predictions
  1. First round will last 20 days.
  2. There will be 1600 players in round 2.
  3. There will be 500 players in round 10.
  4. There will be 12 people in round 100.
  5. It will be round 15 on 1 Jan 2024.
  6. It will end prematurely at round 250.
  7. Who will win? No one: OGS the website will have gone down before this.
  8. How many years will the tournament last? 12
  9. Will this tournament end before through the years? No
  10. When will a OGS tournament with more players than this start? Sooner than you think :wink:
4 Likes

By my count there are 13 games on vacation:

• 5 with 0 or 1 moves
  • 6 with 3-8 moves
  • 2 moving normally (15+ moves)

Plus 4 games with 0-4 moves which have clearly been paused somehow, but now have moving clocks.

2 Likes