2023: “Things change, and they don’t change back.”

It will just be a continuation of the technological arms race. There’s always someone who wants to “beat” fake videos/audio/etc.

Consider photoshop.

even OpenAI fails to distinguish it

Our classifier is not fully reliable. In our evaluations on a “challenge set” of English texts, our classifier correctly identifies 26% of AI-written text (true positives) as “likely AI-written,” while incorrectly labeling human-written text as AI-written 9% of the time (false positives).

1 Like

The kids are so excited to be there, clearly.

5 Likes

Clearly off-topic. Did you not read the thread title?

4 Likes

Finally, deadbeat parents can kick their children out of their house a few years earlier. :roll_eyes:

Seriously though, how does that even work legally? The child is not an adult, yet it holds a regular job, but does that mean that the parent gets to handle the money?

Generally, it’s frown upon to live off of your child, unless you choose for them a career in a pit of vipers, for example professional sports, or in a pit of hyenas, for example Hollywood.

2 Likes

Judging from their huge smiles on that photo I wouldn’t put much trust on those kind of adults feeling any shame or caring about any social outcry, so I am honestly curious what happens legally to that money those non-adult teenagers make.

That’s generally not too bad …

generally :stuck_out_tongue:
On a more serious note, I do not think that it is the sports themselves that are the issue in those cases, but the lack of any preparation of how to handle fame and money. Especially when that fame and money comes fast.

Barkley again is on the money on that “being famous ain’t easy, especially now”

Generally, as far as I know, it’s perfectly legal for the guardian to do “what they think is best”. Some very extreme cases might (or might not) get scrutinized.

1 Like

Calling Charles Dickens!

4 Likes

That’s the important bit there … no verification means that noone’s checking and it also means that everyone can go “hey, the kid lied to me and showed me a fake ID” and all those excuses that noone, but a courtroom which now has a law that says that noone is responsible for not checking, would take seriously.

Yes, that’s what happens in our country, but with how some things are so wildly different over there I thought I’d ask in case someone living there actually knew about it.

He is already on it:

“an investigation found children working overnight shifts at 13 meatpacking plants in eight different states. The jobs involved cleaning devices like back saws and head splitters with caustic chemicals that could cause burns. At least three teenagers suffered injuries.”

Yet they’d still have to wait till 21 to drink a beer? :thinking:

3 Likes

Giant hamster battles season is on

1 Like

I couldn’t really decide if this video should be in this topic or in the thought-provoking video topic.

Anyway, it’s a video about a German media correspondent based in Moscow following some Russian citizens from different walks of life during the war, on how they’re coping with it in different ways.

3 Likes

I like how the farmer is a living stereotype of wealthier people supporting status quo. It’s only natural, if you got a comfy spot under this system, why would you want to change it. Doesn’t apply for IT guys, for some reason.

5 Likes
4 Likes

Wednesday we’re having senate elections. According to the polls, hate parties (FvD and PVV) will lose seats, dropping from 17 to 12 out of 75 seats (from 23% to 16%). That restores some of my faith in my compatriots, although I feel the support for hate parties is still worryingly high.

It looks like this time they are losing many votes to new conservative parties that are not hate parties (BBB and JA21), so that’s a relief for me.

4 Likes

Aaah… what’s a “hate party”?
Here in Australia we only have useless parties… don’t think anyone would ever effect enough change to be labeled a hate party…

In this case, I’d say a party that spreads fear and hate against non-white/non-christian immigrants and against people who don’t have a clearly heterosexual orientation.

3 Likes

This being the internet, could you please clarify what fear and hate mean?
I’ve seen everything from murder to job refusal to service refusal to “I don’t personally agree with your lifestyle choices” labelled as “hate” :man_shrugging: words are feeling a little unclear these days…

3 Likes

Do you think that being non-white/non-christian/non-heterosexual are “lifestyle-choices”?

And disagreeing with something is not the same as covertly justifying discrimination and sometimes even violence against such people.

3 Likes