2023: “Things change, and they don’t change back.”

I guess so, at least preparations would be needed to provide an alternative. Whatever would we do without funny videos.

5 Likes

I found the Greek man part very funny. I recognised the singer (he’s a huge name here, although not my taste in music), but in any case none of the others seemed Greek to me (and one is a Beatle). The surfer comment was hilarious.

1 Like

I’m not too fond of Jon Stewart but comedy is funny.

2 Likes

That’s the good thing about him … he doesn’t care much about being liked, he cares about some much more important things and he tends to be right when he decides to open his mouth. I’d say that counts for a lot in this day and age.

There is a lesson in those two videos that goes with the title of this topic. It is something that won’t ever change, but Jon hops around it because he knows that this is not a lesson you say out loud, because it is a harsh truth. It is a lesson you think over on your own, after listening to all that, if you are lucky enough to get to it.

1 Like
2 Likes

Maybe station your drones in Gulf of Mexico and not in Black Sea then.

2 Likes

Showboating pilot stunt gone wrong, or an intentional test of the Biden Administration’s response?

1 Like

I had noticed “Volt” in @gennan 's image with the polls because I found the name funny and I just found out that we actually got this party here is well. It just got created!

Βολτ Ελλάδας / Volt Greece - Το μέλλον made in Europe

Well, you learn something every day, indeed.

Volt is a small pro-EU party that started branches in several EU countries. I don’t know a great deal about them, but I did vote for them when they participated in our latest national elections, because they seemed more sympathetic than our other (larger and older) liberal-democratic party D66.
But I’m a bit disappointed in Volt, because they seem rather invisible, so I may not vote for them again.

2 Likes

Well, they became quite visible for non-political reasons…

1 Like

Yeah, I read about it in their site. Seems interesting, but very badly timed. Making a pro-EU party here, right now, is like investing in a Greek island and deciding to open up a sea-side bar in November. The upcoming elections are going to be quite nasty.

Ah yes, there was some internal scandal. I already forgot.
But I don’t remember them distinguishing themselves politically somehow.

I suppose they don’t expect to make a huge impact in any country in the short term. The goal is maybe more to grow an international pro-EU political movement that promotes civil rights, democracy, education, rule of law and other liberal-democratic values.

2 Likes

I don’t like how they are basically a branch of a more centrally “guided” EU party.

European countries’ unofficial involvement (and I mean meddling) didn’t do wonders for us on most occasions, I doubt their official hand will care much for what is actually good for our country.

1 Like

Russia doesn’t own the Black Sea yet.

1 Like

… or the goal is to be professional politicians.
It is always good to wonder “who funds all that stuff?” and “do these people have a job outside their political meddling?” … I know that in other european countries that might not be cause for concern, but here we have learned better since the former “two ruling parties” owe more than 650 million in debt (source) and, of course, they are not ever paying any of that money back (their token payments are usually a lot less than the interest on those loans and they keep borrowing).

Then we have the KKE (Communist Party of Greece) who do not have enough leverage to borrow and never pay back, but they are the “professional 5%” of the parliament and in every elected place (prefectures and municipalities). They have a 5%, they get their seats and “live off the land” and just appear on any session and “just say no” (in the best of cases).

It is a good, stable job, doing absolutely nothing, guaranteed and with good pensions. Can’t really blame them.

Exactly. Not only they are directly connected (which is bad enough), they are flaunting it (which makes it worse) and at a time were the EU is not really popular here.
If they had appeared 15 years ago and promised more interconnection with european programs and funds, they could have had a much better result. Now it is even odd that they even thought it was a good idea to even exist as a party. Which begs the previous question “what’s in it for them?” and that loses them even more of the few votes they might have gotten.

1 Like

I received a last minute voting guide from a coworker.

6 Likes

That seems like an indirect plug for the SP party because … well, you know:
Screenshot_3

:grin:

7 Likes

Try being them for 24h, using an absolute and non-negotiable upper limit of 100 pre-defined words’ vocabulary for absolutely every topic and tell me how you liked it :stuck_out_tongue:

On a more serious note, small parties function like catch-all email addresses: they snatch the dropouts and the roaming votes and they tidy them up in neat, orderly categories for later use.

1 Like

Electric bike?

ScreenShot_15_03_2023_13_10_37

2 Likes