9 ranks restriction in ranked was removed?

Anyone can play ranked vs anyone now? Is it true?
If yes, why in settings its still not possible to choose rank restriction beyond ±9?

2 Likes

Why do you think that is the case?

There’s a PR implementing this, it was only merged hours ago as I type this, not really enough time to expect it to have been deployed to production yet…

If you are rather technical, you can tell that this PR is not deployed yet, because here at About OGS it says that the latest UI tag is ab9b8b02, which you can see well down the list here:

… all the merged commits in that list which are more recent than ab9b8b02 are not deployed yet.

1 Like

Well here, I think I started a ranked game against a 24k bot:

Oh, and yesterday I lost a ranked “custom game” vs a 22k:

Does that prove it?

1 Like

multiple evidences started to appear everywhere

2 Likes

I think the rank restriction was removed at least as early as the 17th of January, as I dealt with a report about it and asked about it.

I imagine that the rank restriction was first removed on the backend and then the front end has to catch up, like now allowing the things mentioned in the OP.

4 Likes

Yup, the main PR was in the backend and landed earlier… that frontend piece was just an extra bit for the seek graph.

5 Likes

I guess then the OP’s question stands?

4 Likes

Indeed :).

4 Likes

I’m not sure what the last post is highlighting, is it the .1 and the .5 part?

looks like if ddk will create 9 stones handicap games and stronger than 9 ranks opponents would accept, rank of ddk will decrease very fast

Yeah I suppose in that example they’re being treated as a 9/8kyu playing against a 6 kyu when they have 9 stones. So they would lose a decent enough bit of rating.

If they played an even higher ranked player they’d lose less I imagine.

vs 1k it would be loss of 0.2 ranks by Rating Calculator

I suppose it’s not exactly the same

As in yes it seems like you lose more rating as a 17kyu with 9 stones, than an 8 kyu with no stones.

In terms of the rank fraction, 0.2 ranks is going to be different at different levels because the rating gaps between levels aren’t constant.

At least when I played around with it a while ago it seemed like

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.