A Semantic Game

Rationale:

I’ve read a few times about games like Nomic or Bartok where there are no fixed rules but it is actually the players themselves who make them up as the game progresses. Never had the chance to try them up, but, this forum and this time seem just right for such an experiment.

The Game:

Let’s start with only one rule: “They who wins makes up a new rule.” I’ll act as referee for now, but I’ll also play Currently there are no referees. I’ve made this a wiki, so don’t abuse it.

The Rules:

In effect:

1- They who wins makes up a new rule. (Original)
a) Any change in the ruleset can only be made if a rule explicitly allows it. Wiki edits may only reflect legitimate changes. (Leira)
4- You don’t get to make up a new rule unless you’ve won. (Vsotvep)
5- You can’t win twice in a row. (Vsotvep)
7- Rule number 9 only applies to Haze_with_a_Z (Vsotvep)
8- If you lose, you have to do 5 push-ups. (martin3141)
12- Winning must be referred to as “frolicking”. Anyone who says the word win (won, winning) loses. (RubyMineshaft)
13- In addition to making up a new rule, you may (optionally) delete a rule if (and only if) you frolick. (yebellz)
14- Including spaces, and other symbols, rules must be exactly 78 characters long. (syoon)
15- Only those players that have been elected democratically can claim to frolick. (Vsotvep)
16- No rule shall mention any particular user and those that do are herby revoked. (Leira)
a) The only exception to this rule is rule number 7. (Vsotvep)
17- If this rule is deleted, the game is terminated and every former winner loses. (Vsotvep)
(Hold by Leira unheld by yebellz)

Revoked:

10- Every player has the right to summon RubyMineshaft to give us a new rule. If he refuses or doesn’t respond in three posts (without counting the summoner’s post), the summoner loses. (PiggyStardust) Revoked under rule 16.
11- Rule number 4 does not apply to RubyMineshaft. (Vsotvep) Revoked under rule 16.

Deleted:

2- You cannot claim that you win, nor logically imply that you win by conditions that are already met. (Leira) Deleted by yebellz
3* If (and only if) you get at least 3 likes on your most recent post, you win. (PiggyStardust) Deleted by yebellz
6- Everytime you win you must write: “PiggyStardust is great!” (PiggyStardust, obviously) Deleted by Vsotvep
9- Every new rule you make, does not apply on weekends. (Leira) Deleted by Leira

9 Likes

I’ll start:

I win!

So, naturally, I’ll make a new rule:

You cannot claim that you win, nor logically imply that you win by conditions that are already met.

1 Like

@PiggyStardust wins!

So they make up a new rule.

5 Likes

Wait, so how do we proceed from now on? Currently the game has no goal and only those who win can create a new rule. But I can’t say that I win due to rule 2.

1 Like

@Vsotvep already claimed that you win, so you can make a rule. Please tell us what that rule is.

1 Like

Yeah sorry I posted that almost at the same time as @Vsotvep (clever, btw).

Ok, you have to get at least 3 likes to win.

1 Like

So that means I get to make a new rule, right?

Note that I’m careful with my wording, I wouldn’t want to break rule 2.

Yep, you have them.

Just one question. Do you mean on a single post here?

Yes, let’s say on your last post here.

So, can I word it like this?

“If you get at least 3 likes on your last post, you win”

Yes.

4 Likes

New rule: You don’t get to make up a new rule unless you’ve won.

5 Likes

now we sit and wait patiently for someone to get 3 likes on their most recent post.

1 Like

New rule: You can’t win twice in a row.

6 Likes

Piggy gets to win!

Everytime you win you must write: PiggyStardust is great!

PiggyStardust is great!

1 Like

hahaha

editing to make this longer so people don’t complain that I shouldn’t just post “hahaha”

1 Like

What happens if the existing rules are contradictory?

PiggyStardust is great!

New Rule: Rule number 9 only applies to @Haze_with_a_Z

1 Like