Accused of cheating

Hi, I just received a notification that at the end of game #63146640 I changed the score/cheated in some way.

I can’t figure out which game that was and I’m not aware of/ interested in cheating but I would like to review the game to understand the accusation.

Can anybody help?

Thanks

4 Likes

This?

Black’s group bottom right should have been marked dead.

I figured out how to view the game.

I accepted the dead as I understood them. If I’m incorrect that’s cool, but an accusation of cheating as a first step seems out of order and puts me off using the platform.

Did I make a mistake and was my opponent correct to make the accusation?

I really appreciate any help on this one :slight_smile: I’d genuinely like to understand if I messed up, ands if I didn’t I’d like my warning count (out whatever is used to track these things to be reset.

Thank you.

5 Likes

Thanks. That is the game.

Does not knowing that make an accusation of cheating justified?

I’m not moderator and don’t know what the exact wording of the accusation was, but it’s true that at your level, it’s not uncommon not to understand life and death correctly. While being accused is unpleasant, I don’t think you’ll be punished or whatever, moderators are aware that ignorance is a possible reason for incorrect scoring.

1 Like

Thanks. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I thought both parties had to agree to the dead and if one made a mistake the other could correct it, and go again.

Thanks again.

1 Like

I don’t know what happened during the scoring stage, normally your opponent could have changed the status of the group by clicking on it, but maybe he doesn’t know he can do that…

3 Likes

That is how it should work but when players are strongly changing one after the other the position, with delays it happens that one may accept the estimation made by the other player. This is sadly an exploit used by players who can’t accept the result and try to escape from it but this shouldn’t occur with correspondance games?

Moderators have a lot to handle and they don’t have always all the parameters to take decision but here i can understand a bit a confusion because basically

• you are no more a beginner
  • your opponent isn’t too and i guess reported the game
  • the death of the group is not so complicated to understand

What I don’t get is this is correspondance game so with plenty of time for debate and assessing the position.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the moderators’ motto: never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence.

6 Likes

Thanks for these insights mate.

I can understand that. I still believe that OGS try to do at best to resolve the cheating problems and is not especially interested in random punishment. I hope you’ll stay playing here.

4 Likes

Some of our warnings are semi-automated.

Semi-automated in the sense that the precise wording is “canned”, not composed each time by a moderator. This is necessary because of the sheer volume of them.

Your level of experience on the site caused you to get a “regular member warning”, because the assumption is that you have enough games under your belt to know how this works.

This is the message that is used in this circumstance

Our records show that you attempted to illegally change the score at the end of
game #{{game_id}}. This is a form of cheating and is prohibited by the
OGS Terms of Service.

https://online-go.com/docs/terms-of-service

We ask that you end your games properly by accepting the correct score
immediately after passing. Further instances of score cheating will result
in suspension of your account.

Maybe this is a little “legalistic and formal”, but it has to cover a range of circumstances.

We’re open to revising these message to meet community needs.

I can see that in your case it in all likelihood was “actually, I really thought this score needed to be fixed”.

In the fullness of time, we may have a different message for when it’s the first time you’re getting this, that would be kinder. It’s “on the list”.

In the mean time please don’t be too offended - if you hadn’t raised it here literally no-one other than the moderator(s) who clicked on the buttons to cause this to happen know that it happened, and they aren’t judging you as a cheat from this one instance.

9 Likes

I just realised no-one answered the actual question:

I would like to review the game to understand the accusation.

I put a variation on the game showing why the black stones are in fact dead.

6 Likes

@Eugene, I did rewrite the text to make it a bit softer.
Maybe you can use this.

We noticed that you attempted to illegally change the score at the end of
game #{{game_id}}. Although this may have happened accidentally, it is considered a form of cheating. Therefore it is prohibited by the OGS Terms of Service.

We hope that you will end your games properly by first closing all the borders of your territory and secondly by accepting the correct score immediately after passing.(In case of a disagreement over what the correct sore is, we ask you to contact a moderator).
Unfortunately, further instances of score cheating will result in suspension of your account.

7 Likes

That’s what’s bothering me the most. I accept I was wrong, but cheating, no.

Thank you, that’s very helpful.

Much appreciated.

2 Likes

Is score manipulation maybe a better word for score cheating?

2 Likes

That message looks like it 100.0% sure that user is evil.
“illegally” should be replaced with “incorrectly”
and instead of direct accusing, it better to say that some users cheat like that, don’t say it like “you cheated!!”

7 Likes

Good one!
:+1:

2 Likes

Cheating feels like a very strong word. My reaction to seeing a pop up with that word when I came back to the site was to be instantly offended.

I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve tweaked your edits further and included stone.defender’s suggestion:

We noticed that you incorrectly changed the score at the end of game #{{game_id}}. While this might be a genuine mistake, please review the game and be sure you understand the final score.

In future, we hope that you will end your games properly by first closing all the borders of your territory and secondly by accepting the correct score immediately after passing. (In case of a disagreement over what the correct score is, we ask you to contact a moderator).

Unfortunately, some users use this form of score manipulation to cheat, if this happens repeatedly we’ll have no alternative than to suspend your account.

This version gives the user something to do and softens the message by waiting until the end to say some people (not you, but some people) do cheat and we have to suspend their accounts.

11 Likes