Add Esperanto/Esperantujo as another flag/location!

Yes, I think it should be in the fantasy list as it is a country that is the ideal of the collection of Esperantists, not a physically defined place with borders.

1 Like

Ah well, the best I can do for now is submit the change that lets you select the flag under the name Esperanto.

If anyone happens to dig and find that I could do more, by all means let me know (I’m not digging myself because I’m not optimistic of finding that it can be done in the open source code :slight_smile: )

Also, the change should still be simple (not saying you need to go do it), but if there isn’t a way to specify the flag under a different name (which I think it is since the Game of Thrones flags do this), you could duplicate and rename the flag resource.

Hah snap: if you know what you’re looking for, and can point me at it, I’m happy to do it :slight_smile:

In the mean time, having a flag for a language is not unprecedented, afterall “Pirate” is not a country…

Well, if I am interpereting this correctly then this line:

fantasy_countries.push(["_GoT_Arryn", gettext("House Arryn")]);

. Is using a flag name of “_GoT_Arryn” and the text used is “House Arryn”.

That would indicate that

fantasy_countries.push(["_Esperanto", gettext("Esperantujo")]);

Should work.

Although I may be incorrectly interpereting this and the “_GoT” item could be a label that is not related to the flag.

1 Like

Hah - of course!

OK - so you could fantasize that you come from Esperantujo now :wink:

(If the PR is accepted)

4 Likes

:smiley: Thank you! I hope it get’s accepted!

4 Likes

Well I have to thank you guys. I thought I was a geek for choosing to bear the Klingon flag. No longer.

Qapla’

6 Likes

Word “Esperaantujo” consists of two words: “Esperanto” and “ujo”. The former means language, the second - vessel. Normally “ujo” added to the name of the nation means the land there this nation lives. For there is no real land where live people speaking Esperanto (they live in all the world), Esperantujo rater means the set of all Esperantists.

Btw: OGS is also translated to Esperanto, so lack of flag is abnormal.

3 Likes

I’d be certainly happy to merge pull requests in for this. To make this happen, add the flag(s) to https://github.com/online-go/world-flags-sprite and then add entries to https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/blob/devel/src/lib/translate.ts#L99

3 Likes

Awesome! The flag sprite is already in OGS and GreenAsJade has already so kindly made the pull request for the translate.ts file under https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/pull/610

3 Likes
1 Like

Not sure I’d want this—even though I sympathise with a few strains of anarchism.

Imagine … next would be adherents of other political / philosophical / religious schools that would want their flags here … I’m afraid it would divide us more rather than unite us as Go players.

3 Likes

Well that’s okay. See you.

1 Like

Imagine … next would be adherents of other political / philosophical / religious schools that would want their flags here … I’m afraid it would divide us more rather than unite us as Go players.

So you’ll be removing the “pride flag”?

Great!

1 Like

Naw

1 Like

I don’t get this …

Uhm, but why?

IMO these are different fields—one is an ideology, the other a sexual preference, which is a personal thing, and the “pride”, as I understand it, has nothing to do with propagating it and all to do with protesting the oppression that still exists in many places.
I believe that once lesbian and gay (etc.) people are as accepted as anyone else, everywhere, such kind “pride” will become obsolete as there’s no reason to be proud about being “normal”.

Sarcasm? Or do you mean that seriously?
I’m often irony-agnostic, and if you want to kid me you need to announce it to me, otherwise I often won’t get it.

3 Likes

Well it’s 'bout being against all kinds of authority but anyway I am not discussing, it’s just “discuss thing”, not you(pl.) sir but this authority thing is…

The “pride flag” is a political symbol.

As I believe OGS should be an officially apolitical site, yes, I’m serious that I’m in favour if its removal.

There’s no need for such incredulity.

3 Likes

I want anarchy flag, its prolly the only one i might consider changing my current pirate flag to :slight_smile:

edit: assuming its red A on black background

4 Likes