Add Game-Level curve besides Time-Level graph!

You know, Level or Grade changes whenever a game ends, but the Overall plot is a Time-Level figure.

3 Likes

Do you want a plot of the rating changes (like +0.3, -0.1, +0.2 and so on after each match) over time?

Edit: Never mind. I misunderstood. You want the plot of rating change vs game #.

Yeah, ratings change when games end, so that a Game-Rating curve makes more sense!

It used to be like that, before Glicko - a per game rating graph.

It makes heaps more sense to me.

I can’t recall precisely what the argument is for per-day.

One argument is that Glicko is supposed to derate us over time-since-last-game. But I’m not sure if that’s implemented here.

Is there any other reason why per-game rating would not make sense?

1 Like

It’d be nice to add it in a second graph, either a toggle or another way of presenting. Maybe not to replace the current graph entirely.

I don’t think one can see the Glicko deflation until another game is played. I thought I read somewhere (GitHub?) that while it’s supposed to happen over time, it won’t appear until something causes a rating update.

1 Like

In a game, you could find nice moves and bad moves, i.e. winrates up and down. And one can link moves from a winrate curve.

In many games, you want to find nice games and bad games, i.e. ratings up and down. But one can not link games from his or her Time-Ratings curve!

2 Likes

I like time.
In my chart it shows that I had a long break after my first games.
It’s someway telling us something about the life of the player.

In a game based chart we couldn’t understand if someone is playing since long time or if he’s just playing a lot of games.

I think time makes the chart more meaningful

4 Likes

I love how we always totally disagree on things that are simply a matter of opinion! It’s amazing having another person I know who seems to always have the opposite opinion to me on things that don’t really matter one way or the other :smiley:

I reckon you should be able to press a button to toggle one view or the other. Unfortunately, I think that the way the graph is presented is closely controlled by the back-end - efficiency rather than flexibility being chosen in the tradeoff.

6 Likes

Completely front end. It’s using the rating history, which stretches 5000 games in the past. To change something there is just a matter of working with a graphic library in ugly JavaScript.

2 Likes

Oh, that’s great news. I had the strong impression that the API in use returned rank-by-day, rather than rank-by-game.

If it’s by-game, then there must be some code bunching it up into days that I don’t recall, but it was some time ago now that I was in there.

You are so correct that the code in there is something to be contended with. But … armed with the knowledge that the API is suitable, I might don my sword and shield and take a look…

4 Likes