Add Game-Level curve besides Time-Level graph!

Just in case this is the issue, you can also highlight certain regions below the graph to zoom in.

That will hopefully make it easier to pinpoint certain peaks/games etc.

Once you picked a certain window size, it can also be dragged along, to keep the same zoom level at different points.

2 Likes

I have vertical bar on all sites and it never obscured anything. Horizontal bar rarely exists because sites usually use correct measure of width of window.

nope, it disappears, I try to move mouse again and preview instantly causes trouble again, I fail again, try againā€¦
only this is way around:

1 Like

Thanks for all the info.

stone_defenderā€™s account case is definitely an excellent test case: an account with thousands of games and a somewhat narrow window.

We donā€™t have such a test account (thousands of games) on beta.

The narrow window case is definitely a challenge.

Looking back over what I did, I intended to remove the preview for narrow windows, then I thought ā€œmaybe actually this is OKā€, and left it in, because it is a shame to lose it.

However, I can see that itā€™s going to cause ongoing grief popping up like that, so maybe ā€œremove in this caseā€ is the best solution, at least in the short term.

Or maybe click-to-get-preview would be best when the pie is not displayed?

The problem with click-to-get-preview is that it is not ā€œdiscoverableā€. Thereā€™s no particular reason why anyone would think to click on thereā€¦

(PS I got vertical scrollbars in Opera, though not horizontal. stone_defenderā€™s problem#1 is wider than just the ranking graph button - it happens for the rank table button as well)

I havenā€™t really been following this, but the pop-up game previews look great, and I hope they will work well enough that we can put them in more places, such as tournament and ladder pages!

1 Like

As illustrated here, the real challenge is determining where they should appear in all screen configurations, and how we know itā€™s time to take them away.

Iā€™m happy to take on making them appear elsewhere, if you have suggestions that include thoughts about those problems.

ā€¦ more on the stone_defender caseā€¦

ā€¦ what I can see is that when you have thousands of games, clearly each pixel is worth more than one game, so you canā€™t possibly select ā€œthe exact one you wantā€ without zooming in as shinuito described.

When you do zoom in, the problems stone_defender described seem to be solved - you can select the game you want, and you can move the mouse in such a way that the preview ā€œgets out the wayā€ if you need to.

So maybe I donā€™t have to change it?

1 Like

it currently only appears at the right side.
if you work with right side of the graph, it should appear at the left

its not as easy as just zoom in, you need to zoom in so that needed point is at the left side of selected area so preview finally not obscuring it. Not everyone will solve such tsumego fast.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not clear why that is the case. I will try to make a video of what happens for me.

As long as you are moving the mouse along the blue line, the preview does not pop up.

If you pause, it pops up. If you mouse over it and hold for a while, it disappears and you can move again to pop up another one.

It doesnā€™t seem difficult to me, but I am very aware everyoneā€™s experience and expectation are different,

I do have a quick question about the previews. Is the green highlight/border whether it was your move when the game ended or not?

I guess thatā€™s probably hard coded into it if it was possibly meant for the home page/profile pages?

Yes, I think thatā€™s the case.

I already had to do some tweaks to the ā€œminigobanā€ for this purpose, because it has only ever been used for games-in-progress before this (for example, the ā€œpointsā€ that Vsotvep mentioned, which make no sense after the game ends).

I could look at getting rid of the green border, though it doesnā€™t seem like a serious problem at this point.

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s a serious problem either. It was just a bit confusing, as I wasnā€™t sure if it was connected to whether you won the game or not :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m not great at this kind of thing and usually find that when I try to implement multiple modes of operation to fix bugs with certain screen sizes I just end up with multiple buggy modes of operation.

Just an idea, maybe it could work like this, at all screen sizes:

• Hover always makes a small semi-transparent preview show up above the mouse location.
  • Clicking/tapping replaces that preview (if any) with a larger, centered, modal-style one with more details.

So you can usually get a quick idea by hovering, but if itā€™s in an inconvenient position it doesnā€™t matter much, since you can click to zoom in.

Also, discoverability for clicking is achievable - by changing the mouse cursor.