Add option to disable right-click placement

I would like to not have a move played on right mouse clicks. For me this is very counter-intuitive and has caused accidental plays on multiple occasions.

There was already a previous topic on this issue, with no resolution: Wish: No right click for moves

10 Likes

I agree, I think this is a bug, it deserves a ticket on github.

7 Likes

It haS both an issue and a pull request, however it also has a hurdle (puzzles).

3 Likes

necroing this thread to say the same thing,
playing with a mouse for the first time in forever (would usually use trackpad or drawing tablet), and it’s the source of the most annoying misclicks as sometimes while reading my finger will fall upon my right click button (I’m not certain why either), and other times when I’ll be moving my mouse and preparing to move and the weight will fall onto my right mouse button before I feel confident in my left mouse click

1 Like

I’ve just submitted a PR with the solution that was suggested in the discussion of the old PR (which got stuck due to trying to do a good overall job, but running into gotchas along the way).

9 Likes

You should be able to test this on beta now.

1 Like

looks good to me. Doesn’t place in game mode, does still place in analyse mode, reviews and puzzles.

I suppose we’ll find out if someone happened to exclusively use right click to place stones :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah - I’ vaguely wondering about left-handed mouse users or somefink :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I imagine lefties are switching their buttons at the system level anyway. At least that’s what I do when I feel like switching things up :grin:

And thanks for putting together the PR!

3 Likes

alternatively “left-click only, right-click only, either button” options might make that easier

but I don’t particularly know what left-handed users are doing so that might just be a waste of development

I can confirm that right-click no longer places stones during actual games. Many thanks to everyone involved in this change.

8 Likes