Additional voice languages are now available

Awesome work! I played some games with the German voice. Though I noticed that when my opponent passed, the voice said “vorbeiziehen”. This is not the correct word here (actually it means “pass” more in the sense of “the caravan passes”). The correct translation is “passen”, but in this situation, the word on its own would sound weird too. So I’d suggest “Dein Gegner hat gepasst” / “Du hast gepasst” (your opponent has passed / you have passed). Maybe some other German speakers can suggest a better translation.

Edit: Some more improvements for the German voice announcements:

• The byo-yomi periods are called “Zeiträume”. I think they should be called “Perioden”.
  • When a review starts: “Überprüfung” does not sound right imho. Personally I use the English word “review” even when speaking German. “Besprechung” or “Analyse” would probably be ok too.
4 Likes

I don’t think it sounds unnatural, but it does have the kind of “super understandable train-station voiceover” vibe.

2 Likes

The Japanese voices are like the train station voices in Japan.It’s a bit weird.

A native speaker voice actor wouldn’t necessarily know the best way to translate go related terms.

5 Likes

These are AWESOME!!! Is there any possibility of English language with foreign language accent versions of some or all of these languages being made available? Or any chance we can set our own local sound files? I would fix this for myself in an instant :sweat_smile:

Amy vs Lindsay: Amy is missing from the “Game Voices” dropdown. Please add her back. Lindsay is grating on the ears. She lacks soul and personality. Compared to Amy, Lindsay makes me very sad.

Sabrina: I wish the speaker had a stronger accent.

I’m frankly staggered (in a good way) by the options already being made available to us.

I think a significant demand should be demonstrated from multiple users before expecting something of this sort.

You are more likely to succeed with a request for Klingon imho. lol

4 Likes

It sounds glad to asian player! This application is one of the most international go applications all over the world!!

10 Likes

Amy was a free 1-10 count down I found a long time ago, she’s not a voice actor available for hire for the rest of the sounds unfortunately

3 Likes

While we can’t setup local files or personal uploaded files, if you want to do a recording I’d be happy to include it so long as it’s of good quality. (Do let me before if you want to do this, I have a script to follow)

2 Likes

Всё супер. Спасибо
Я Президент харьковской федерации Го. в федерации 150 детей и взрослых.
Я всех привлекаю на ваш сервер.
Благодарен за вашу работу. Улучшайте сервер, делайте его удобным для индивидуальных и групповых занятий.

6 Likes

Google Translate:

Everything is super. thanks
I am the President of the Kharkov Go Federation. there are 150 children and adults in the federation.
I am attracting everyone to your server.
Thank you for your work. Improve the server, make it convenient for individual and group classes.

:heart:

8 Likes

About Japanese voice.

1. She seems to be non-native because of the wrong intonation. (Especially Hitomi)

2. I don’t know what “Tie” is saying. Is this Japanese?

3. It sounds like the first “s” in Kei’s “Remove the dead stones” is not pronounced. Is this voice truncated?

Umm, I want to write in Japanese.

Hm, they certainly claim to be native Japanese.

Tie, I wonder if they didn’t translate that right - tie means draw, or neither person wins. Is there a better Japanese word for that?

I hear Hitomi saying 同点, in Kei’s voice the initial sound is missing.

I think I’m pretty convinced Hitomi is a robot after all. Especially because of the weird pause between 死に and 石を除去してください (“remove the dead stones”).

I can confirm that Hitomi is a robot, putting the waveforms of her 残り’s on top of each other, they have exactly the same rhythm, intonation & pitch (at least closer than I’ve ever had any human dub their own voice).

test it in Russian please
5 periods left and 4 periods left are different in the end of last word only

4 периода (perioda)
5 периодов (periodov)

Is “период” part the same?

They’re quite different compared to Hitomi’s similarity: I’ve uploaded a comparison here.

Also, the other of the two Russian ones differ even more, especially the first one.

Doesn’t mean that the Russian one is not a robot, a good voice bot has some randomness programmed in.

I would be amazed if Hitomi was real, though.

1 Like

There were no robots used in the recordings… https://voicebunny.com/voice-actor/hitomi-farrell-V5EAM8/ is the voice actor for HItomi, you can check out some of her other samples that were done through that site, she’s definitely not a robot.

If there’s a certain “robot quality” that’s probably my fault for instructing them to be a bit monotone for the numbers, because when I didn’t they’d come back with a ton of variation between the numbers and I thought that would be too distracting, especially after you’ve heard it a few times.

5 Likes

I still find it hard to believe… I’ve recorded quite a few vocals, and getting things to sound as similar as she did is extremely hard even when people try their best to make them sound the same.

The pause between 死に and 石 is really strange as well, it’s like the English voiceover would say “Remo. Ve the dead stones”…

But well… guess I was wrong then?

Oh, I didn’t understand Hitomi’s intonation was too bad.
Your explanation about Kei is exactly that.

I think so, too.

I am worried that you have been deceived by Hitomi.

同点 means same point. It’s not wrong for translation, but it’s not appropriate for Go. In this case, 引き分け or 持碁.
Drow is 引き分け. In Go terms, it’s 持碁.

2 Likes