AI passing 3 times in a row ruined my game history record

Hi OGS Team,

I’m a casual player who loves OGS. This is my first time reporting something, and I want to share a strange AI behavior that happened today.

As you can see from the screenshots, my game was only at Move 41, and my Black group was already leading by 55.1 points. I had a huge advantage and the game was far from over. (I know the win rate graph eventually showed 78.6%, and the 9 blunders were the AI’s stats by the end of the game at Move 47).

Then the AI started acting strangely:

1. The AI passed.

2. I continued playing, placing a stone to keep the game going.

3. The AI passed again.

4. I played another move, giving it a chance.

5. The AI passed a third time.

6. Since it refused to move, I finally passed too.

7. The system immediately ended the game and recorded “White won by 10.5 points”.

I know AI games show “Aborted” and don’t affect my rating. That part is fine. But my game history still shows a “White win” from this unfinished game, which feels really unfair.

The AI was clearly losing and used the passing rule to escape. I think this is a logic flaw. My suggestion is:

1. If the AI is losing, it should resign, not spam “Pass”.

Thanks for reading. I’ve attached the screenshots for reference.

1 Like

Please link the game.

This is the game I think, for those curious: game


Sorry about the bad experience 捧智敏欧尼的高跟鞋, yes, as you say the game is annulled, unfortunately I cannot strike it off your record completely, sorry.

It is a bit of a weird challenge to make a bot play “convincingly” at a beginner level, and they go crazy sometimes, sorry about that, it obviously should not have passed that early in game. It is not used as a way to escape losing scenarios, and the bot should not do that on a “regular” basis, the session possibly crashed completely, or something went out of whack.

Bots are not something we are actively developing and (while I am not sure) I suspect Bergamot is not our own engine, but probably based on an already existing code from elsewhere, so to be honest, it is unlikely there will be any improvements to it from our side anytime soon.

It should not be a common behaviour though. Apologies about the trouble.

4 Likes

There are earlier reports for exactly this behavior with Bergamot:

In one those threads someone noted: “Bergamot glitched out today. It’s not just bergamot I think, it’s all the flower bots. It will just continue passing, and then resign.”

However, I checked agapanthus and bergamot just now and they look fine. Speculating: If all OGS / flower bots occasionally do it, it may have to do with the server+bot not being able to play a move in time, and then defaulting to a pass.

2 Likes

From the initial description, I thought this was the OGS-Go-Variant rule of 3 passes in a row when winning a lot kicking in to offer both players (should just be the leader IMO, but anoek disagrees) the choice to accept the AI-predicted winner, which would have been weird because I would expect that to be black based on the graph, and also that’s only supposed to happen after some larger number of moves. Instead it appears that not only did the bot as white pass 3 times (silly bot), but the black human player did (silly human), which led to scoring, and as the game was incomplete and against bots you can’t mark dead stones in scoring phase, it’s insta-scored, white won having a small number of eye points and komi, and black had no territory surrounded yet.

So I think the moral of the story is don’t pass after a bot does a silly pass if you don’t want to score that position, keep playing (which is boring, but that’s what you get vs weak bots).

7 Likes