AI Physical Go Board!- Review added

Will do :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Very cool! I’d also be interested to see updates on it as you make progress. The board looks pretty nice as well. Is that something you made, or can you buy that somewhere?

3 Likes

Simply amazing. Keep us posted on that.

1 Like

It’s 3D printed using wood PLA.

2 Likes

Best pet ever! And I say that on a #Caturday.

3 Likes

Anyone know about this amazing board?
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=43142696467&ft=t&toSite=main
It is necessary to connect a PC to play?
How much strong is the AI?

It seems you can connect it to several on-line go servers.

1 Like

Much more expensive than I’m willing to pay, but man this is amazing.

Wouldn’t it be awesome to have something like this for live OGS games? Instead of AI moves your opponent’s move lights up

Edit:

:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

Guess I should really try to finish reading all the posts before replying, but I got so darn excited

2 Likes

3800 RMB is approximately 600 USD. What will get you with something like this is international shipping at that weight. Even so, $300 for shipping seems a bit extreme. Probably adding in the “foreign buyer tax” :laughing:

2 Likes

Maybe there’s a customs tax?

1 Like

Usually, when I buy something in China customs tax are applied in the destination country (in Italy in my case) and you must pay it to the local officer otherwise the shipment is blocked. I never paid the tax at the origin.

Who knows if this is in some way connected with the recent duty war with China. I wouldn’t be surprised if this AI Go board would be classified as high end technology.

2 Likes

BTW … this board will probably be available in Europe later this year, from Hebsacker Verlag, Germany’s largest vendor of all kinds of Go stuff (books, boards, stones, etc.).

http://go-spiele.de

So … if someone was thinking of a Christmas gift for me … :grin:

7 Likes

This board is now available~

6 Likes

I played several games on this kind of board in China, both against humans and the built-in AI. The UI was in Chinese, so the go teacher (we were in a small go school for kids) set it up for us. After the games, he was able to easily export the games by some file format (I don’t think it was sgf, but something else that was easy for the teacher, anyway) and review the games on a large monitor so that many students could follow along with the review.

The AI-review is very nice. During review, it lights up LEDs under key points, color-coded for value.

The stones are plastic, but heavy, because there’s a magnetic bit inside so that the board can detect them when placed. This makes them a little jiggly, so you can hear the rattle of the magnet if you shake it. If the stones shift too far off their points when accidentally jostled, the board will beep with an error sound, and be unable to detect the next move, so it’s a little finicky like that. You just have to adjust the stones back to their proper points to continue the game.

PROS:
Tactile go experience playing AI (levels 1-20, iirc)
AI-review overlaid on physical board, with color-coded lights
Easy export of game records (check file format, though)

CONS:
Some may not like the plastic stones, or that they rattle slightly (one gets used to it)
May be finicky if stones are jostled from their points (EDIT: re-adjust stones to continue game)
High price

EDIT: Disclaimer:
Because I only played with a Chinese UI and had help getting started, I couldn’t take advantage of all the features. The descriptions and links elsewhere in this thread describe additional features.

Overall Assessment:
If I really loved playing the AI as my favorite hobby, I’d get this and get a lot of use out of it. Or if I was a frequent club player who always wanted an easier way to save game records, then this is just what I’d want. I think. I’m not sure if the files are in sgf format.

2 Likes

You can play on different servers with this board? I haven’t been able to find anything confirming this online

With the image recognition softwares we have today, It should be possible to come up with a system using simply a smartphone on a tripod. Or alternatively, a webcam plus a speaker, connected to a computer.

Play on a real goban, with the camera oriented so it can see the board.

When the human plays a move, it is detected by the camera.

When the AI wants to play a move, it speaks the move out loud, using both the coordinates and a go term, like Sai does in Hikaru no Go. “Q16, hoshi”, or “O3, kakari”, etc.

Then the human places the stone to reflect the AI’s move.

If the human made a mistake, and placed the stone in the wrong place, then the AI will detect the mistake and comment it by speaking: “No, not N3. One space to the right. O3, kakari.”

2 Likes

Currently only Fox and another chinese server.
I am told that OGS is coming soon…

I’ve been playing on Fox with it, and I love it. You have to work what all the chinese means on the display, but that’s doable.

1 Like

Nice. Where did you hear that about OGS? That’s been keeping me from considering this purchase. Thinking about it again with the Stoned on the Goban partnership.

1 Like

I’ve been speaking to someone involved with IZIS (I think that’s the name of the company)

I even wrote an android app that can send and receive moves to OGS, which I thought could be used, but he said that their team would have to write it, and they would do it when they can.

2 Likes