AI: wish: adjustable transparency of stones in variations

i would like to be able to adjust the intensity of the stones on the screen in variants to better see the played stones vs the stones (numbered) of the ai variant (currentyl the numbered stones are toointense 4 me)

i often play two silly stones on board side to “switch off” the ai variant to actually see the board position

the other possibility would be to really switch on/off the future stones of the variant to better see the board position

Hope you got it with my English…

Regards

12 Likes

This sort of thing has been mentioned before; I would like to see it too. I believe a popular wish is for the AI variations to only show the next move in the sequence instead of all of them, which would probably also be a solution to your situation, no?

I think the English in the main text is quite good, though making the beginning of each sentence capital and putting a period at the end does make a big difference to how it looks. Personally it does kindof bother me that English uses capitalization to mark several unrelated things, which can be an issue when you want to capitalize a word for two different reasons, but can only capitalize once. :smiley:

I am genuinely curious, what is your native language? I’m studying Japanese right now and I find it very interesting how different languages array the lexemes and phrases in their sentences. I might phrase it like, “AI Variations: Adjustable Stone Intensity”. Or maybe “AI Variation Wishlist: Adjustable Stone Intensity”. But your sentences in the main text were quite clear and generally phrased quite naturally.

1 Like

I changed the title to make it clearer. If you want, you can put it back.

1 Like

thank you. German is my mother tongue and I also learn Japanese right now. Mostly because of go :slight_smile:

i wasnt thinking too much after a whole day working and playing in front of a computer

the missing capitals you mentioned is probably an IT thing. i type all day long and if not necessary i try to save time.
no, just joking :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cool. My sister took some German, but I think her husband knows it better (I don’t think she’s continued studying it). I don’t plan to learn German, but it would be cool to be able to read Martin Luther and Goethe in the original language. Though according to Wikipedia the Reformation took place before German had been widely standardized into Modern German, so I’m not sure how much mutual intelligibility there would be. But Goethe would presumable be more realistic.

Just adding that I also have the same issue when seeing the AI review.

1 Like

I googled “OGS transparency” because I have the exact same wish! Either adjustable transparency, or even just turn off the stones, just have numbers on the board: then as you click through the computer’s variation, you can see what has been played and what is still to be played.

2 Likes

Ideally, if we can adjust transparency, I’d wish for an option to …

• have the AI variation stones successively more transparent the further they are “away”,
    – i.e. the first move would be the least transparent,
    – and the last move would be most transparent,
    – and then be able to adjust that :smiley: with sliders :grin:

One can dream, no? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And being linear would be fine, but would a logarithmic opacity function work better?

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about how many sliders I’d want, and I guess, after reading quite a few complaints on FB about the new audio options, either make it just two sliders, left for least, and right for most transparent, in between nothing, or three, one in the middle to adjust for the first few and the last few moves, to make them less or more transparent. Radio buttons for linear/logarithmic? :smiley:

And while I think of this, maybe it would be a good idea to organize all the many options in a new way:

• Simple User Options
  • Experienced User Options, and have most of them set to “OFF”

??

2 Likes

Yes. I’d like the option to provide our own arbitrary functions f(n). :smiley:

1 Like

Just as a reminder, this would be fixable on the front-end, which is open-sourced and anyone is welcome to make a pull request. https://github.com/online-go/online-go.com/

If nobody takes it up, I will probably try some day when I get more comfortable with the code, but it will be weeks or more likely months, so if anyone is up for doing that, don’t wait for me, I am sure it would be a very appreciated addition.

3 Likes

Not sure whether your comments, @Samraku, were meant to be somewhat sarcastic (as I was wishing for quite some bells & whistles), but that was just a quick idea that jumped out of my mind as I, not being a coder, was thinking about how I’d like it to look like :slight_smile:

(from https://classicprogrammerpaintings.com/)
:wink:

5 Likes

I like your suggestions, but mine were jokes.

EDIT: I reread my comments, and only the last about arbitrary functions was a joke. I was serious about logarithmic opacity.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.