All-in-one democratic go game (how-to)

• Do speed poll which can include sequences (as now)
  • Don’t do any speed poll
  • Do speed poll with one move only.
  • Do speed poll in a different way (please develop)
  • Have 1 move choice only in normal polls (as now)
  • Have sequences in normal polls (24hrs)
  • Have sequences in normal polls with longer time to vote (48hrs)
  • Have sequences in normal polls with another suggestion (please develop)

0 voters

1 Like

I have a suggestion. What about including conditional moves in the normal 24 hours polls? This could be something like " play move X and if white plays Atari next move, extend to get out of atari". This could also help speed up the game in certain positions.

Voting for sequences somehow doesn’t feel right to me. Initially it was discussed if some people would choose a side and only vote for the moves of this side, which I feel is perfectly legitimate. How is this supposed to work if there are sequences in the poll?

Sorry I don’t see the difference between conditional moves and a sequence.
A sequence is like w D4, b E4, w S3
A conditional is… same?

Or maybe you want more, something like a tree?

1 Like

If I understand it correctly, if a sequence wins a poll, that decides that all of the moves in the sequence get played.

The conditional moves I propose are like the conditional moves that already exist on OGS in correspondence games. In addition to playing a move, you can basically tell the system IF opponent answers with this specific move THEN I will play this other move subsequently. Then the conditional move is only relevant in case the opponent indeed answers your current move in the predicted way.

Conditional moves are like a set of sequences. So if I understand correctly, the suggestion is to be able to propose not just sequences but a set of them.

That’s it?
In my own opinion, deep debates about what we do if and that, have to finalize in some way with a simple move vote. I fear the polls become a bit unreadable too.
, imagine a joseki like you can find in books, put into a poll format… Not mentioning the heavy charge on the people writing the poll. (Usually me yet, but that is not required lol)

How a sequence would work?
Well a poll is not like a speeding one, it cannot be interrupted so I don’t see other ways as having to write and make a multiple vote for each subsequence

For exemple if you propose D2 D3 E4 F1
You propose too: D2 D3 E4 and D2 D3 and D2 and when voting you better vote for the 4.
All bit heavy (not mentioning the scribe…)

1 Like

@Groin, one of the two of us is understanding something differently than the other one, I’m just not quite sure what exactly :sweat_smile:

Edit: Question: If a sequence wins the poll, does this mean that all moves in the sequence are played right away?

48hrs

24 hours are needed to everyone to be able to vote no matter what time zone they are in.
but in the last hours barely anyone votes anyway, so 24 hours won in the poll

48hrs
sequences poll

what 48 hours solves here??
the only additional problem with sequences - not enough suggested sequences
increased time to suggest needed, not to vote itself
real world truth is - “other sequence” vote never will win in the poll
very few people do suggestions even before polls, others will be sad about last move in sequence but vote anyway and say nothing, just be sad and vote

And the main question - who are going to choose each time if poll will be single or sequence?
Are we going to elect president who will play against himself instead of us?
Where this democratic game is going? :grinning:

1 Like

Yes

Wow I try to be as democratic as possible so let me know:
24hr went to be a public choice. I think in a moving one day window all different time zone are treated equally to have a time to play. A longer time because of a sequence was suggested, so should I say no because we voted we play in 24hr or should we submit again because we don’t speak of a move but of multiple move?
In fact when discussing here I even don’t use the 24hr to let people give their votes/ideas, these votes always had a much longer opening time.

Sequences don’t exclude single moves.

Now I opened a poll with what was asked, not just my own ideas, so we have then some better knowledge of what would please the most. And I am still waiting to collect more votes.

1 Like

Ok, thank you for the clarification. That’s a difference to the conditional moves I proposed; These wouldn’t get played until the opponent plays a move, for example after another poll.

Well let’s wait a bit more for definitive choices but from the emerging poll results it seems that:

Speeding polls lost popularity. Players are ready to follow a discussion time+24hr poll no matter what.

Including sequences in polls show interest but not a clear majority.

Let see if any changes for a few more hours but if it stay like this:

Speed poll don’t exist anymore.
Sequences will not exist too.

We will run then always run 24hr polls, move by move.

Note: this is indeed very appreciated by the scribe (me most of time till now, open free job if any interested lol)

3 Likes

I reread your post again and I didn’t answer about the “suggestion” time too short.

Well this is another concern and same as ever, I m trying to keep all entertaining with some quality. So at first there is a requirement of having at least like 3 proposal. In fact besides the speeding poll we had once working, we got in each poll much more as three, so de facto the rule was extended.
Now as I reminded many times in the game thread, new suggestions are still accepted during the poll if any and can be voted too.
Till now I didn’t hear complains on this side, I see more discussions happening during the poll time, but no new suggestion.

If you have better ideas, all welcome!

instead of speed polls or sequences rule of ending poll if one of moves get too much votes is needed.

That was exactly how speed poll worked. What can I say? Majority of us want now to keep the 24hr as the poll shows. I can understand that too.

Just seems to me that if the idea is that a 24-hour poll has to be held if there’s any dissent, considering that Haze has said he means to vote for tengen on every move, it’s rather pointless…

not exactly, speed poll is special poll
there it will be single rule for every poll

for example: if one of moves gets at least 10 votes and at least 80%, poll closes

1 Like

Ok we can try rewrite something.

10 why ? What if you have 30 voters around? Or 9?

I fixed 50% of last poll participation, we could put higher 80% ?

Note: there will still be people who want to be sure to participate in a 24hrs window, that has nothing to do with the fact of a large majority.

What if we just nix everything on the table and replace it with a simple rule:

So if in one of polls only 9 people participated, how many voters are needed in next poll? And if it closes in 9 hours, how many voters are needed in poll after that(9 hours) poll?

because it big enough to exclude early random randomness, rule that only counts on number of voters of previous poll will lead to 2 people speed polls

1 Like

Ok by this poll we jump out from the speeding poll process, but now it could be because it was the process itself or because it disrupted the 24hr delay and some could feel bad to not have been consulted.
Hard to say.
We can force a minority to accept a move which collect a large majority before the 24hr delay.
Or we can take care of everyone and respect the delay.

That will need a poll I guess…

I don’t see any middle point. Well maybe you have one tell me.
What about the % ? 2/3 3/4 80%?