All new players should be ranked via bot

Well, we only feel the “problems”, when everything works according to plan, people just play a good game of Go :slight_smile:

The other thing is that what @shinuito pointed out is definitely true, when you have two 25k ? come in and play eachother, one is going to get ranked down, one is going to get ranked up, and then we continue to “feel” that one that got ranked up as a problem until they get ranked down properly.

I think it’s better than nothing, but the whole experience does need improving, for the sake of everyone. I don’t think there’s an easy fix though. You certainly can’t “just set ranks”, that was horrible when we did it for lots of reasons. I’m not a fan of forcing folks to play bots, though encouraging them to if they are a beginner I think would be good, the problem there is coming up with a good beginner bot and possibly adding some tips to help teach them while they are playing kind of thing, as you want to help set them up for a win - people hate losing against computers, especially these days. So, for that reason I don’t think just blindly throwing beginners at our current bots with our current experience is a good idea either. At least with humans there’s a chance the human can help, and the expectation from the beginner that they will probably lose against a human who has played more than them.

Anyways, it’s not a simple thing, but right now improving the new user experience, as well as the experience y’all have, is top of my list, including how to ease beginners in and protect them from sdk’s and sdk’s from them until they are ready.

11 Likes