Welcoming beginners and OGS rating system (A compendium)

— partly for me becuase I’d like to be able to find these again at some point :slight_smile:

Generally reading this post in regards to what’s wanted for a rating system to do on OGS is quite interesting.

Re:

I don’t think it’s been demonstrated sufficiently if I’m honest.

It was discussed here

and @Vsotvep did some simulations

but I wouldn’t call that sufficient to say how a system of millions of players might behave when only simulating the ratings of about 5, even if one “player” doing something like rating reseating etc might simulate many different players.

I mean it’s probably true that the individual ratings adjustments might not care at what rank people enter at, if we focus on that point, but think of the system of a whole - what problem would you want to address and what does adding many entry points solve?

For instance if we have one set of 12kyu players that dislike playing [?] ranked players, imagine we had entry points of 1d, 5k, 10k, 15k, 20k and 25k for example, we will now likely have 6 different sets of people that will make Reddit posts saying that they don’t like playing with new players that have chosen their ranks at these entry points.

That doesn’t solve the recent Reddit post problem I don’t think for instance.

1 Like